Iran NT 2022

• The new coach Ataei announced his wide list of 25 players for 2022 season (at least for 2022 VNL)

Setter: Javad Karimi, Ali Ramezani, Taher Vadi, Fazel Pajouman

Libero: Mohammad Reza Hazratpour, Abolfazl Gholipour, Mohammad Reza Moazzen

OP: Saber Kazemi, Amin Esmaeilnejad, Pourya Yali, Bardia Saadat

MB: Ali Asghar Mojarrad, Amir Hossein Tokhteh, Reza Abedini, Mehrab Maleki, Mehdi Jelveh, Amir Reza Sarlak
    OH: Milad Ebadipour, Amir Hossein Esfandiar, Esmaeil Mosafer, Mojtaba Mirzajanpour, Amir Hassan Farhadi, Morteza Sharifi, Meysam Salehi, Ehsan Daneshdoust

lots of new names, no sign of Ghafour, Mousavi and of course Marouf. Marouf retired from the NT after the Olympics (even though I wasn't and still isn't sure if it's real) and coach claims Mousavi and Ghafour are big players and they only should play in big matches! that's a weird explanation. does it mean they will come back for the World Championship? I don't know

from this list, Javad Karimi, Meysam Salehi and Asghar Mojarrad (all starters in last year's Asian Championship) are recovering from knee or shoulder surgeries and most probably will miss the VNL.

new coach, new team. it will be a tough year

• Where did the new coach come from? Who did he handle prior to the NT?

he is a well known coach in the local league but not one of my favorites. his club which finish 2nd in the regular season got eliminated in the QF (losing twice to the 7th seed) and his assistant in the NT won the league with his club!

he also used to coach the U21 team in past few years. had mixed results. 5th, 9th and a 1st place finish which actually made people think he is a great coach. but most players (Yali, Sharifi, Hazratpour, Esfandiar, Toukhteh) in that U21 team in 2019 which won the World title were in the senior team already, I wouldn't give huge credit to the coach for winning the gold medal with that team. those players won the 2017 World U19 title with another coach as well.

btw he already coached the senior team at the Asian Championship and beat a non-full squad Japan in the final. (the same team that eliminated Iran at the Olympics) his friends in media made it sound like a huge huge success. so his job is safe for now.

• Where is Ali Shafiei? He is out of roster for a while. I think he's pretty good middle blocker.

I believe his NT career is over, Alekno dropped him from the squad before the OG and the new coach didn't invite him back

interestingly he played last season for the same coach's club and obviously didn't satisfy him to get the call.

• Why Iran doesn't play Ali Ramezani? He's tall and good setter. I watched him played the Asian Championship last year. He's pretty good.

because he is simply bad :) just watch the last point of Iran-Brazil's 2nd set when he came in to play just one point and he gifted the set to Brazil.

from what I heard he will be replaced by another setter for the 3rd week.

he rarely played at the Asian Championship, maybe you mean Javad Karimi who was the main setter during that tournament.

• because he is simply bad :) just watch the last point of Iran-Brazil's 2nd set when he came in to play just one point and he gifted the set to Brazil.

from what I heard he will be replaced by another setter for the 3rd week.

he rarely played at the Asian Championship, maybe you mean Javad Karimi who was the main setter during that tournament.

Yes. Javad Karimi was good and tall. Why he's not playing?