Korean Women's NT 2022

• Sad to say Korea made history by being the first team to lose all games, 0-12.

I have to say super embarrassing but needed for the ultimate wake up call.

Sometimes for change to happen, these events need to happen.

Dare I say, I'm hopeful for what the future will be BUT all I can say is Yeom Hye Sun and Kim Hee Jin needs to retire from NT.

2015, 16, 17 WGP all had teams go 0-9.

• 2015, 16, 17 WGP all had teams go 0-9.

Guess they meant in VNLs short history, though I heard DOM might've lost all matches before? Didn't search

Rather than Yeum and Heejin retiring, I'm wonder why KYK, Suji and Hyojin are retiring so early from NT...

I know KYK was overworked w league & NT duties and sometimes injured, but she has already slowed down during regular season (no high level CEV competitions that requires tiring travelling)

They're just 34 & 33, it'll be hard for younger players to grow without playing alongside good & experienced teammates

Still, their choice to rest, the young squad seems really lost though

• Its a much needed wake up call.

Kim Hee Jin definitely need to rehab her knee, she got no power at all.

I get that people frustated at Yeom but if you considered the situation (injury, terrible receive, etc ) she having it though too.

I see their best formation is when Park Jeong Ah is non receive Left like in Hipass

For now their best option is slide attack because there is no Opposite.

• If Heejin were to retire in the next few years, who do you think will be the next NT OPP?

I thought Jiyoon could grow as an OPP with her jump and explosive swing, but with Hillstate needing an OH and KYK/LJY out of NT she's now an OH instead

Even Lee Seonwoo who showed potential as OPP recently said in an interview she wants to return to her original position as OH even though her receive percentage was low at 17%...

Will NT keep rotating between OH players for OPP position?

It can't be helped that no player wants to focus as OPP considering v-league never uses them & hires foreigners for OPP

Edit: Hanbi has potential as OPP too with her powerful swing similar to Jiyoon

• Based on the Olympic Qualifying rules, only the Top 24 countries by 17 October 2022 will qualify for the Olympic Qualification Tournaments (OQTs) in 2023.

Korea is currently ranked #19 at the end of VNLs.

There will be AVCs from 21-28 Aug, followed by WCHs from 23 Sept-15 Oct before the deadline of 17 Oct 2022.

Perhaps a few points could be gained from AVCs, but it may not be enough to bring Korea up to #18 (12 point gap), and Korea is sure to lose more points than they can win during the WCHs... (only 6 point gap from #24)

Even though this Korea team is unlikely to qualify for the Olympics in 2024, I was not expecting that they may not even qualify for the OQTs in 2023...

Participating (and losing) in this VNLs was too damaging to Korea, are they really going to forgo it?

A local coach would have been better than Cesar during the VNLs, but the damage has been done.

Really think KVA should call up retired players for AVC and WCH at least to help the NT qualify for OQTs in 2023.

I don't see the twins returning anytime soon, but it has already been 1.5 years since their suspension (longer than JJS's 1 year suspension from NT)

• they should focus on rebuilding and aim for 2028.

Cesar is fine he just need more time.

Unless there is a change in Vleague i dont see a decent OPP prospect. Maybe Ha Hye Jin?

WKBL (female basketball league) got rid the mercenaries system and the game seems more fluid with all local players.

• Certainly it'll be 2028 since 2024 is a lost cause, but I think its a pity to not even qualify for OQTs.

But then, KOVO recently invested 250million krw for Paris 2024 (???)

WKBL has no mercenaries? So no foreigners at all...?

While it'll allow local players to step up to be ace of the team, the competitive level will drop a lot too...

I'd rather v-league introduce Asian Quarter foreigner slot, there are 7 clubs now anyway for local players to play in (and player drought both in v-league and high schools)

But the OPP issue still needs a solution, I don't think getting rid of a mercenary is the right choice however

• I think you're being pessimistic. I don't think Russia will be back in by October 2022. So that's one of the top 24 out. France (#22) is the host and not participating in the olympic qualiifers. If France stays above rank 25 (better hope they play well in the challengers cup) then the teams who participate in the OQT will go all the way down to rank 26, which is a 30-point difference with Ukraine.

beyond that, the top 4 teams (depending on the draw, i think it's reasonable to assume that one asian team, USA, BRA, and one Euro team will qualify) + top africa team will likely be the "qualifiers by world ranking" so unless if they can magically get to world number 8 or 9, it doesn't matter all that much.

also just did the calculations, it's about a 37 point loss even if every match is lost 0-3 (vs. TUR, DOM, POL, THA, and CRO). 1-3 or 2-3's would reduce the amount significantly.

• I think you're being pessimistic. I don't think Russia will be back in by October 2022. So that's one of the top 24 out. France (#22) is the host and not participating in the olympic qualiifers. If France stays above rank 25 (better hope they play well in the challengers cup) then the teams who participate in the OQT will go all the way down to rank 26, which is a 30-point difference with Ukraine.

beyond that, the top 4 teams (depending on the draw, i think it's reasonable to assume that one asian team, USA, BRA, and one Euro team will qualify) + top africa team will likely be the "qualifiers by world ranking" so unless if they can magically get to world number 8 or 9, it doesn't matter all that much.

also just did the calculations, it's about a 37 point loss even if every match is lost 0-3 (vs. TUR, DOM, POL, THA, and CRO). 1-3 or 2-3's would reduce the amount significantly.

It is more pessimistic than not but not entirely impossible, I honestly had not expected such VNL results (all losses wasn't surprising, but only 3 sets won was not).

I'm still waiting on WCH since VNL had always been a testing ground for teams and it's too early to judge.

Russia being out of OQTs will definitely help, and France as the host like you've mentioned. Didn't consider those two so the 30 point difference with #26 Ukraine will keep them afloat.

Russia will still be within Top 24 by Oct 22, and the OQTs are only held in 2023 - I don't know how that'll work in terms of qualification & participation.

But counting them out since they should qualify for Olympics even without OQTs, France's rank could change.

AVCs should have ranking points right? The ones won against VN/PH/etc will be negligible (better not lose... VN has a strong player but weak receives as a team), but they could lose against Thailand in that too.

Nonetheless, I still think its worth calling back players. So many losses will not do well on the confidence, skills and morale of the Korean team

• korea have asian games or so? If they meet again vietnam or filipines and they lose they can drop a lot

• There is definitely the possibility, but surely Korea shouldn't lose to them.

AVCs are from 21-28 Aug before the WCHs

PH and VN has poor receives so Korea should be able to win by their serves. VN has a tall and good OH who can score though, so we'll see.

If Korea doesn't take it seriously they'll be in trouble

• Nonetheless, I still think its worth calling back players. So many losses will not do well on the confidence, skills and morale of the Korean team

And if the KYK generation keeps the team afloat until OQT, do they play in those also? Otherwise it's just more losses and more drop in ranking points, unless if the team makes massive improvements.

The new qualification system means that you have to either finish top 2 in OQT or have a very high wolrs ranking (around 7-10). Besides, the OQT is not prestigious like the Olympics itself, so maybe focusing on 2028 is better (more time to develop players, and qualification will be easier)

• And if the KYK generation keeps the team afloat until OQT, do they play in those also? Otherwise it's just more losses and more drop in ranking points, unless if the team makes massive improvements.

The new qualification system means that you have to either finish top 2 in OQT or have a very high wolrs ranking (around 7-10). Besides, the OQT is not prestigious like the Olympics itself, so maybe focusing on 2028 is better (more time to develop players, and qualification will be easier)

Depends on how you view it I guess, its true that qualifying for the OQTs without standing an actual chance for the Olympics will only cause them to lose more points again (like the VNLs)

Just think there's a big power gap for Korea team now before the younger players could gain confidence and grow. It was meant to be LJY leading it, without her now Park Jeongah, Sohwi and Heejin are not filling that gap

Will be good even if retired players filled that gap temporarily as a way to guide the younger players

• I think Korea should play these international tournaments with their junior players instead of hoping help from veteran players. At least junior players could grow together and might have a shot with the international experience they will gain on the way. Also Korean federation should support Korean players to play abroad

• I think Korea should play these international tournaments with their junior players instead of hoping help from veteran players. At least junior players could grow together and might have a shot with the international experience they will gain on the way. Also Korean federation should support Korean players to play abroad

With how reluctant clubs are with sending their players to play in NT, it'll only get worse from now I guess.

In what way can they support it? They aren't stopping players from doing it, the Korean league simply just pays too well and I doubt players are getting offers from overseas either