Korean Women's NT 2022

• With how reluctant clubs are with sending their players to play in NT, it'll only get worse from now I guess.

In what way can they support it? They aren't stopping players from doing it, the Korean league simply just pays too well and I doubt players are getting offers from overseas either

I don't know much about it, but isn't it connected to that 7 year thing that players have to fulfill in one club before coming a free agent in Korea? Like that they can only go to one (their old) club if they would return from abroad? Or is that not related to this at all?

Players not getting offers could also because clubs know they won't accept it, and then it keeps circling like that

Which Korean players have played abroad recently next to KYK and LDY and LJY? I can only think of Kim Ho-Chul's daughter but she never played in Korea and is Italian also I think. And any male players?

• With how reluctant clubs are with sending their players to play in NT, it'll only get worse from now I guess.

In what way can they support it? They aren't stopping players from doing it, the Korean league simply just pays too well and I doubt players are getting offers from overseas either

What about players who want to play overseas? Even if they don't get offers if they're with an agency they can always negotiate with clubs.

Do you have a ballpark of how much Lazareva was paid when she was in Korea?

• I don't know much about it, but isn't it connected to that 7 year thing that players have to fulfill in one club before coming a free agent in Korea? Like that they can only go to one (their old) club if they would return from abroad? Or is that not related to this at all?

Players not getting offers could also because clubs know they won't accept it, and then it keeps circling like that

Which Korean players have played abroad recently next to KYK and LDY and LJY?

It's a 5 year contract after rookie draft - after which they are Free Agents and can choose to sign shorter durations (1-3 years).

They'd be 24 years old when they become free agents so it's the perfect timing to go overseas if they do receive offers.

It'll be better if it were reduced to 3-4 years instead, but they're not "restricted" from playing abroad in the middle like KYK did. As long as they return to the same club when back in Korea. Of course, foreign clubs likely won't offer till they actually become free agents in the market for reputation's sake.

I heard that LDY shared she received an overseas offer when she turned FA in 2020, but I'm guessing she chose to stay in Korea since the twins had always hoped to play together on the same team at least once professionally + PS offered her a good contract.

Perhaps LJY did as well but she never shared publicly, I don't know if any other current players received overseas offers.

Kim Sanee (setter) is the only other player who played overseas for a single season before returning to Korean league.

I don't know about male players, but many Korean (sports) players have the dream of playing abroad to only disappoint/struggle before returning to Korea - where they are well paid and held in high regard since their skill level are at the top. Only a rare few like KYK and Son Heungmin (football) reach the pinnacle where playing abroad benefits them more than playing domestically.

We'll see if LDY can reach that same height one day, hopefully LJY recovers and plays again too.

What about players who want to play overseas? Even if they don't get offers if they're with an agency they can always negotiate with clubs.

Do you have a ballpark of how much Lazareva was paid when she was in Korea?

Last paragraph above as to why players rarely want to play overseas.

No ballpark figure needed, all foreign players are paid US$200,000 in their 1st year, and US$300,000 in their 2nd. They have bonuses, housing provided and more too. (link for more details)

• I'm no theloneracer, but here's the U20 NT roster. I'm never doing this again haha, I had to match their faces/names to their jerseys to get their jersey numbers

Korea Women's U20 NT Roster

No.PlayerPositionSchool / ClubGradeHeight [cm]
    3KIM Sa-rang (김사랑)SHanbom H.S. (한봄고)
    13PARK Eun-ji (박은지)OIlshin Girls' Commercial H.S. (일신여상)3176
    18PARK Eun-seo (박은서)OHPepper Savings Bank (페퍼저축은행)-178
    15PARK Soo-yeon (박수연) [C]OHIncheon Heungkuk Life Pink Spiders (흥국생명)-176
    4KIM Se-in (김세인)OHKorea Expressway Corporation Hi-Pass (한국도로공사)-173
    1LEE Ye-eun (이예은)OHJecheon Girls' H.S. (제천고)
    7LEE Ji-soo (이지수)MBDaejeon KGC (KGC인삼공사)-183
    8KIM Bo-bin (김보빈)MBHanbom H.S. (한봄고)3180
    12KIM Se-bin (김세빈)MBHanbom H.S. (한봄고)2188
    16YANG Yoo-kyung (양유경)OPPHwaseong IBK Altos (IBK기업은행)-175
    ?JUNG Yoon-ju (정윤주)*OPPIncheon Heungkuk Life Pink Spiders (흥국생명)
    10JUNG Ye-won (정예원)LiHanbom H.S. (한봄고)3165

Coach: EO Chang-sun 어창선 (Currently: Hanbom HS coach)

Sources: (thespike)

* I think Jung Yoonju was replaced by #11 Minseo? Didn't see her in the match

The Korea U20 team won 3-2 against Thailand. I watched snippets and #4 KIM Se-in and the Libero JUNG Ye-won did pretty well.

You can watch the full match here

• Coach Cesar saying that Korean NT will focus on using MBs in their attacks a lot more (source)

Very different approach compared to Lavarini who didn't like using quick attacks down the middle

But at the moment Korea's MB attacks are definitely a lot more effective than their OHs, it will become a lot easier to block once opponents know it though...

(Meanwhile we're here in this thread discussing whether Heejin should retire from the NT. :gone:)

I think its a shame that korean volleyball has come to a point where 'volleyball stars' are liked for their looks and their skills are ignored.

And they are compensated likewise by their clubs too based on their popularity.

If this continues without improvement I think I will stop watching Korean volleyball altogether (have already watched a lot lesser last season)

• Coach Cesar saying that Korean NT will focus on using MBs in their attacks a lot more (source)

Very different approach compared to Lavarini who didn't like using quick attacks down the middle

Lavarini had LJY and KYK on the outside. Cesar is doing the right thing, if you don't have outsides that can score out of system, the correct thing to do is a solid reception and a quick ball to the middle or a combination play.

But even with the correct strategy, if the players can't execute there's nothing he can really do.

• Lavarini had LJY and KYK on the outside. Cesar is doing the right thing, if you don't have outsides that can score out of system, the correct thing to do is a solid reception and a quick ball to the middle or a combination play.

But even with the correct strategy, if the players can't execute there's nothing he can really do.

I'm know yeah, thats why I said MB attacks are now a lot more effective than OHs

Problem is Korea does not have good enough reception to execute it. One main issue Cesar has is that the Korean players are not physically fit enough either and their main role in the next few months will be to build their body

• I'm only using Google Translate but according to this article, there is some drama between Cesar and the clubs' coaches. None of the coaches wants to release their players it seems.

I've said this before in the VNL thread but his connection and approach to this team has been really terrible and the language barrier is making it worst. I hate to see them this way. I'm hoping he wraps things up fast and KVF appoints a Korean coach that understands the girls better.

• I'm only using Google Translate but according to this article, there is some drama between Cesar and the clubs' coaches. None of the coaches wants to release their players it seems.

KOVO's strategy evaluation and recruitment department needs major overhaul. They've made so many missteps already.

Google Translate is pretty good (original TheSpike article)

Basically Cesar wanted to call up 25 people to the National Team trainings, but the coaches got mad that if that many starting players were taken away from club trainings, they would not be able to train (as a club) at all during pre-season. So the association and Cesar agreed on 16 players.

But the club coaches once again insisted on the bare minimum of sending only 14 players, saying there were only 14 entry slots. They wanted Cesar to focus on training those 14 players only and leave the rest for the clubs. They didn't want to send their players lest they sustain injuries playing for the National Team.

The only concession they gave was that they said they will send those 14 players to train with the national team earlier for a longer period prior to WCH.

They also had issues with Cesar's selection of players - apparently he had selected players who were still recovering from their injuries, or players that the coaches didn't think were NT-level and questioned his decision wondering if he ever watched them play (which he said he did through video).

Because Cesar refused to budge with his request for 16 players the club coaches complained that he's unwilling to negotiate.

The coaches claim that players said he looked down on Korean volleyball (playstyle) during VNLs and players had complaints - but knowing how selfish the coaches are, I doubt whether it really came from players or if they made it up.

On the other hand, from player's mouths directly, Kang Sohwi said this in her Instagram post:
    "I feel like I've gained the most from this VNLs throughout my 15 years of volleyball life!!"

Whether coaches are just lying to get their way and tarnish the reputation of Cesar because he goes against their status quo in Korea, or Sohwi (and other players) are just saying such things to feel better about the 0-12 losses... who knows :gone:

More interestingly though, is how the club coaches said "It is the most important to participate in the Olympics Qualifiers, so there is also the method of persuading specific players amongst the retired players to return to the National Team. Shouldn't we aim to win first?"

To which Cesar said "There is no need to. If pro teams do not assist fully, VNL is for certain, in the future (Korea) will not even be able to attend the WCH or Olympics"

• I imagine discussions of this nature go on all over the world leagues, to some degree, and with varying degrees of closed and open doorness. South Korea puts it all out there with a credit roll like a pilot for some k-drama

South Koreans are very theatrical. I love that about them :rose:

• The coaches claim that players said he looked down on Korean volleyball (playstyle) during VNLs and players had complaints -

lol he is not wrong, even we as a reguler volleyball fans can see what is wrong with korean playstyle, how is these coaches play stupid.

Although i have to agree calling 25 players is too much, i dont think the coaches should judge by themselves who is on a NT level.

• So is Cesar still the head coach or no? I lost track during the translations.

I would just resign if I were him. There's only so much he can do with the federation/clubs restricting his goals.

If KOVO thinks another coach can do a better job then show us at WCH and let them dig their program into an even deeper hole.