Korean Women's NT 2022

• Quite an amusing news story so I just thought to share

A Korean news reporter interviewed Lee Dayeong's Italian coach Carlo Parisi for her Romanian club this season (they also interviewed her in a separate interview), and he said that the reason why he decided to recruit her to his club was due to the current Korea NT coach Cesar's recommendation to him - since the two coaches worked together for 4 years from 2015-2019

But immediately after that article was released, Korea Volleyball Association released a media statement to news reporters saying they contacted coach Cesar and that Cesar did not "recommend" LDY to Coach Carlo, but he simply shared what he felt about LDY as a player when coach Carlo Parisi called him to ask about her :rolll:

I won't be surprised if Coach Cesar did keep his eye on LDY - being the Korea NT coach, but I feel like KVA is just shooting themselves in the foot being overly conscious of what the public might think and overreacting to what Cesar did.

More than anyone they should be the ones hoping for the public opinion to change so the twins can return and help strengthen the Korea NT.

• It's funny how KVA makes a big deal regarding this news. They’re trying so hard to save the NT image. The number of articles about this. Not that their statements are making any difference. Her Romanian club coach was the one that brought up the topic to the media, and surely Coach Cesar also must have said good things about her. I wouldn’t be surprised if KVA released the statement to the media without actually asking Cesar just to avoid the so-called "negative public opinion".

• It continues to baffle me how KVA would publicly support a player like Jung Ji Seok (who should have a criminal record), yet would not do the same for Lee Dayeong and Lee Jayeong, whose cases aren't in the same gravity as JJS.

Maybe it's because they are more popular that the public is more adamant about the twins returning, but the KVA should at least show some balls to protect their players especially if they haven't done anything criminal (yes bullying is bad, but it should be resolved privately between 2 parties; and funny how Korea hates bullying yet have this culture of complete subjugation to someone older or the sunbae-hoobae relationship - which we all know is prone to abuse/bullying).

Side note: Now I can see why many players right now are acting too public conscious; Korean volleyball's increasing popularity has opened it up to further public scrutiny. I've been watching the Korean volleyball league since 2017, and I noticed many new players are acting... infantile. Like K-pop idols lol

• It continues to baffle me how KVA would publicly support a player like Jung Ji Seok (who should have a criminal record), yet would not do the same for Lee Dayeong and Lee Jayeong, whose cases aren't in the same gravity as JJS.

Jung Ji Seok is a man, and Lee Dayeong/Lee Jaeyeong are women.

Like K-pop idols lol

I would love to see <insert K-pop idol here> play beach :rose:

• Just saw this today on IG. The list of players for WCH.

Setter: Kim Ha Kyung, Yeum Hye Seon

Libero: Kim Yeon Gyeon, Han Da Hye

Middle Blocker: Park EunJin, Lee Da Hyeon, Lee Ju Ah

Opposite: Ha Hye Jin

Outside Hitter: Park Jeong Ah, Park Hyemin, Yoo Seo Yeon, Lee Seon Woo, Pyo Seung Ju, Hwang Min Kyeong.

Thoughts?

First, Kim Ha Kyung as setter... idk about this. She did well last season but making her national debut on WCH is a little weird. And per usual, Kim Dain continues to be ignored (the Ahn Hyejin erasure too). ;(

Ha Hyejin as the lone Opposite when she's barely played as one in Pepper, and she's mostly benched in Hi-pass before she left the team scares me a bit. She was good during the 2019 World Cup though against teams like Kenya.

Also, I am a Pyo Seung Ju apologist so I'm OK with her here :thumbup: (SK team needs a senior player good with teamwork and cheerleading lol)

I just hope they do a little better compared to VNLs. Can't believe I paid for a VNL pass to see team Korea lose all games. I just justified it by cheering for Team Thailand 8o

• Cesar sounded like he was mildly shading the clubs and players for not joining NT due to their injuries in this interview :cheesy:

Cesar was asked about the many injuries that happened during VNLs.

He said "It may have seemed like many players got injured but that's not the case. With the exception of Noran (KGC) which was an unfortunate case, the rest of the players had manageable injuries. They were injuries that could happen to all countries, and all teams. I think that they should be called back to the court after recovering quickly."

Guess it's just clubs refusing to send their players out, without KYK on the NT, no one is calling out this behaviour from within Korea.

• Cesar sounded like he was mildly shading the clubs and players for not joining NT due to their injuries in this interview :cheesy:

Cesar was asked about the many injuries that happened during VNLs.

He said "It may have seemed like many players got injured but that's not the case. With the exception of Noran (KGC) which was an unfortunate case, the rest of the players had manageable injuries. They were injuries that could happen to all countries, and all teams. I think that they should be called back to the court after recovering quickly."

Guess it's just clubs refusing to send their players out, without KYK on the NT, no one is calling out this behaviour from within Korea.

it's a tough balance because almost everyone is playing with some sort of injury. for example Kim had an injury during the AVC qualification for tokyo but powered through because it's an olympic ticket on the line.

I'm sure if it was a more prestigious competition like the olympics or the players believe they can achieve a good result they would go despite their injuries, if they are manageable.

• it's a tough balance because almost everyone is playing with some sort of injury. for example Kim had an injury during the AVC qualification for tokyo but powered through because it's an olympic ticket on the line.

I'm sure if it was a more prestigious competition like the olympics or the players believe they can achieve a good result they would go despite their injuries, if they are manageable.

That is true, not just Kim but actually many players on that AVC squad had injuries that tournament, and Kim only competed in the final match against Thailand and sat out for the rest since her injury was one that made it harder for her to play (abdominal).

But it was very common for clubs to not want to send their players to the NT that Kim criticized it publicly before many years back.

While WCH results aren't important, it's a brand new team being rebuilt and Olympic Qualifiers are next year so the NT really needs all the time they can get.

Their chances are close to none, but they still are aiming for it

• That is true, not just Kim but actually many players on that AVC squad had injuries that tournament, and Kim only competed in the final match against Thailand and sat out for the rest since her injury was one that made it harder for her to play (abdominal).

But it was very common for clubs to not want to send their players to the NT that Kim criticized it publicly before many years back.

While WCH results aren't important, it's a brand new team being rebuilt and Olympic Qualifiers are next year so the NT really needs all the time they can get.

Their chances are close to none, but they still are aiming for it

Just wondering, is there a particular player(s) Cesar wanted to be in the team but wasn't allowed by the club?

• Just wondering, is there a particular player(s) Cesar wanted to be in the team but wasn't allowed by the club?

Basically he picked quite a bunch of players who backed out either at the beginning or during the NT preparation phase due to injuries (most were not serious injuries and they could've recovered in time for WCH, his reply here seem to confirm that as well)
    The media didn't cover how serious their injuries were, and some players were even seen playing in practice matches with their clubs.

Jung Jiyoon, Kang Sohwi, Jung Hoyoung, Lee Soyoung, are some of them - I may have missed out some more names.

Kim Heejin is a player he simply did not pick after her performance at the VNLs, not because of club/injury.

Perhaps Kim Dain and Ahn Hyejin too were left out by his choice - this is something everyone finds odd considering the two of them are debatably the top setters in the league at the moment. Since there were no injury reports about them.

Ahn Hyejin is one case where her club's coach specifically said he doesn't like sending her to the NT due to her confidence being lowered when playing on the NT.

• It seems Hyejin has the same case as Japan's Haruka Miyashita. Miyashita suffered a nervous breakdown in 2018 and has been unable to regain her confidence. Or at least that's what most people suspect.

Without Dain and Hyejin, who will be the main setter this time?

• they really should reduced the number of vleague matches, 4 round is more than enough.

I agreed. I think if they had another team it would be ideal, as it would be 8 teams over four rounds for a total of 28 matches each team. However, I don't think reducing the number of games will happen because their broadcasting deal could be a stumbling block.

So I think Korean V-league teams really need to learn to implement player rotation.

• they really should reduced the number of vleague matches, 4 round is more than enough.

Yes, they really need to reduce it. The number of matches they need to play makes the players more prone to injuries. I think this is one of the reasons why many teams opt their players out to play on the national team, as they may become unavailable during the V-league (which is the reason their teams are even paying them).