CEV Champions League 2023

• Cansu's performance has gradually been going down over time. Hope she finds her game again.

I think her performance in these two matches against Milano showed quite significant improvement in terms of both distribution and accuracy. Not the best yet but at least not as worrying as one or two months before.

Egonu in Conegliano with Wolosz and Santarelli is way better player.
    But She was still the best player in Vakifank.

Everyone though She is gone reach next level with Guidetti but her performance right before Covid is something out of this world.

Also the season after the Covid she wad performing like this. Her level fell after when she play in the Olympics. It was extremely strange. From her absolute peak her level literally fell in the bottom. Her worst self by far.

• I first read this thread. Then I went to watch the stats sheet. Egonu scored 36 points and yet 9 out of 10 comments were negative here. What else does she needs to do to get credit for her performance? Y'all she had 36(!!!) points. That's a crazy amount

I also didn’t get the impression she was bad.. there were many many games where she performed much worse

• I first read this thread. Then I went to watch the stats sheet. Egonu scored 36 points and yet 9 out of 10 comments were negative here. What else does she needs to do to get credit for her performance? Y'all she had 36(!!!) points. That's a crazy amount

She was not good at oos balls in crucial times. Thats the problem.

Bajema deserved the MVP award

• I think Egonu doesn't have the best connection with Cansu sadly, she isn't a setter dependent player so she is still doing pretty good overall, just not as amazing as she can. Cansu's performance has gradually been going down over time. Hope she finds her game again.

I thinks cansu did a good job.

gabi was playing the worst game in last 2 years, egonu couldnt kill oos balls but she used bajema in rigth times and successfully led her team to the goal.

Also, she was so good in first match. She played a good QF

Mmm I wouldn’t say she was terrible but she did get set 74 times so it’s not THAT hard to come to 36 points with that. She also made a lot of errors and at costly times.

• What else does she needs to do to get credit for her performance?

Being white.

It doesn't matter how much she already proved herself, she will always have to do it twice, and that's gonna be like forever, for her and any other black person at their roles.

• Egonu also made 7 errors and her efficiency during important points was mediocre. Of course she will get criticism, she is not an ordinary player. She is one of the best if not best player in the world.

Also Guidetti said that she was not as good as the first game.

• Being white.

It doesn't matter how much she already proved herself, she will always have to do it twice, and that's gonna be like forever, for her and any other black person at their roles.

Using her being black as a reason for every criticism is low-key racist 🤦

Someone criticize her, or just not praise her for a game => it should be because she is black🙄

To me, it is internalized racism

• Using her being black as a reason for every criticism is low-key racist 🤦

Someone criticize her, or just not praise her for a game => it should be because she is black🙄

To me, it is internalized racism

Exactly! I criticized her, because during the game she had 33% in attack and she did a lot of mistakes that costed Vakifbank a lot. For her standard it did not look good.

• Egonu ve Gabi were bad yesterday compared to their standards.

Egonu swinged 74 times but she was simply hitting the ball directly on Larson in her first attempts, which were dug and then she had to swing over and over. Her game looked worse in sets 1-2 and part of set 3. She was not just bad in killing transition balls but also she could not kill the ball against single blocks, or actually worse, she made errors with them too. That's far below what we expect from her, I guess that's why most were critical to her.

Blaming this on Cansu is also funny. Gabi, who is usually the 2nd option in attacking played really bad, especially in attacking. In OOS balls, only option was Egonu since Bajema started to play in starting six a bit late this season. All in all, I understand Cansu's choices and why Paola got to swing 74 times.

• Egonu suffers from racism, both overt and systemic. Of course she does; just see how she has always been treated by Italian fans. But I don't think this is an instance of one (with the caveat that I could be wrong). There's a well documented tendency to grade the best player's performance on a scale, across all sports. That is why, even though it looks insane at first glance to criticize someone who scored 36 points, if it is one of the best players in the world and it was done with low efficiency and lots of errors, it makes sense.

What is oos???

Btw you also have right. One of the reasons of Egonu' s fall is that she is making a lot of mistakes in the crucial moments.

out of system

you can google it