Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2022-2023

• The 2023 University Selection for East Summer League:

Head Coach: Koichiro Imamaru (Japan NT from TWCPE)

No.

Full name

Team

Height

Position

Yuki Yoshinaga

TWCPE 3 / Toyota

OH

Momoka Kitabayashi

Aoyama 4

OH

Mio Hirose

NSSU 3

OH

Akane Abe

Tsukuba 1

OH

Suzuna Kawasaki

Kokushikan 4

OP

Ayaka Sato

TWCPE 1

OP

Yuka Iwashima

TWCPE 3 / Toyota

MB

Risa Ropesu

NSSU 3

MB

Rin Honda

Tsukuba 2

MB

Emili Iiyama

Tsukuba 1

MB

Kokoro Katsumata

Aoyama 4

S

Niina Kumagai

Tsukuba 1

S

Rin Takahashi

JWCPE 4

L

Rika Funada

Juntendo 4

L

Miyu Kawazoe

Fukuoka 4

OH

Rina Yamaji

Saitama / Int.Pacific

OH

Yuka Hori

Tezukayama 2

OP

Karen Edokuporo

Aoyama 3

MB

The FISU University Games team is playing in the Western Tournament. See them here

• Saki Maruyama, who used to play for Kurobe (2014/15 – 2020/21), while her dad was head coach (her mom won Bronze at the 1984 Olympics), switched to beach, and recently got married. Congratulations. I always liked her

Apparently, the proposal took place center court at the end of some basketball game. Tokyo U assistant coach Shun Takeuchi: "I love you. Please marry me."

Maruyama: "a dreamy surprise 😭💍Is happy. thank you very much. I was also touched by the cooperation of everyone involved. 🙇🏻‍♀️

getsu

• Rumours said that Ai Kurogo to Saitama Ageo

Makes sense

• So this is basically a swap: Yuri Yoshino for Kurogo. Will be interesting to see if Yoshino gets back to her pre-injury level, where Kumi N called her" Japan's Ace" (or something like that)

• Yeah there are also many Seitoku almuni in Saitama (Irisawa, Niida, Shiina, Yamazaki) and the Saitama retirees who are her batchmates (Horie and Yamaguchi)

you mean Miiku Iwasawa, right?

• Yeah there are also many Seitoku almuni in Saitama (Irisawa, Niida, Shiina, Yamazaki) and the Saitama retirees who are her batchmates (Horie and Yamaguchi)

I always think of Toray as having exclusive rights to Seitoku players ... maybe just first dibs. As you point out, Saitama is loaded with them

• NEC added two new players. Are they good, sitenoise ?

https://red.necrockets.net/news/20230614/

Runa Tanaka is a firecracker. I was a fan. She was Gunma Bank's "Ace" for years. She's basically Yanagita

The setter I don't know much. I remember her. She's registered at volleybox. That's adventure

• Kano Miyaji (Himeji) to PFU

• Props to whoever here stood firm against all the transfer rumors about Sara Lozo. Saitama announces their new system and she is part of it

• Sorry Hina, but from now on ...

• Hiyoko is a different reading for the first kanji of Hina, which would be chickpeas.

but these are upstream chickpeas :)

I'm honestly surprised google hasn't added some kind of AI help in identifying names. They are the worst at names of all the translators I use. Their single word for word business is bad and because Japanese is what it is it's also terrible at prose. How can DeepL do so much better?

• So all this transfer hoping around is getting kind of fun, huh?

For those of you who were around pre-New-V.League-Vision 2018, when players couldn't do this without spending a year off or in a foreign country, is it bizarro land or what?

I'm especially enjoying the fact that V2 players are jumping to V1. Some pan out, some don't. Two Brilliant Aries Kids landed starting spots on Kurobe. The OH girl who was Gunma's undisputed Ace and just signed with NEC, will probably regret her decision. Funny that Gunma's "other" Ace, the middle blocker who signed with Saitama in 2020 and no one could name, has taken 9 swings since her move :white:

Yuka Sato was the first player I knew of who jumped from V2 to V1, and she was able to do it because her V2 team crashed and burned (and someone in Saitama management saw potential in her)