Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2022-2023

• I just do not get Acosta love. It is like basement prices to get her and you aren’t going to get much from her. Denso basically gave up on her last year. When a team above you in the standings says, nope, that should be a red flag. And then you make her captain? What? A player who was not on the team as it improved is named captain. Nothing says team chaos like that move.

• In a way this could be good for PFU. Acosta is not expected to be that ~powerful foreign player~ all the more reason for Valdes to do better. PFU can't even hire a decent conditioning coach.

There's an article about Jen Doris that VBM published recently I haven't read it yet. It's some kind of message. It could be related to PFU.

• If it's true 4T is onboard again, I think Acosta means 4T will be MB sponge again

Or, maybe Acosta doesn't play much. She just devotes herself to Captain'ing

That's useless if she will just stay on bench and captain should always if not at least mostly in court. So 4T will mostly play MB. This is actually a strong lineup for pfu and I am expecting a lot from them this season. Imagine 3 foreign players in court.

• That's useless if she will just stay on bench and captain should always if not at least mostly in court. So 4T will mostly play MB. This is actually a strong lineup for pfu and I am expecting a lot from them this season. Imagine 3 foreign players in court.

Nobody gets my sense of humor :white:

As someone remarked earlier Acosta does seem to have a very good relationship with the PFU players. So that's cool, and if it does "uplift the team spirit" in some way, Great!

But who's gonna sit down and feel uplifted about it? If 4T plays MB, what's the point of Hosonuma? She started playing OP with Kurobe over the summer. That's not gonna work for PFU

4T plays OH? Valldes, 4T, Acosta on the pins. Seems decent on some kind of paper. And if it wins, maybe Nabeya, Shima, Takaso, and Watanabe feel uplifted about it, but those are the players I want to see win. I have no attachment to PFU as a "thing" beyond the players I like to see play ... but if 4T, Valdes, and Acosta best some of the Big Corporate Dual Citizenship teams I'll be happy :)

• I’ll go in the opposite direction. Acosta is no where as good as Valdes. If Valdes is going to be an all-around player, get a better opposite, maybe a foreigner but not someone who really is not at say a half Drews level. you had her two years ago, she was basically the entire offense no it didn’t do much. Denso said in the middle of the season, we’re good with our Japanese team.

Considering she may have been the highest paid player on the team, that is pretty damming to your skills. Himeji did the same with the Moldovan player a couple of years ago too and they were in last place and did that.

In Japanese sports (baseball and soccer included) foreigners are paid to perform. And I just see this as going to be a waste of money to have an underperforming captain who is also a foreigner. In my mind this was a really risk averse move but then making her captain just made it really weird. Wolfdogs Nagoya waited a year before naming Kurek captain, but he is also one of the best players in the world, so not really a problem there.

• The new captain Acosta Roslandy (30), an outside hitter who joined the team from Denso. A native of Venezuela, she is a hard-hitting all-rounder who was with PFU during the 2020-2021 season, where she led the team as a player and a mental pillar. Coach Masayasu Sakamoto said, "She has a lot of experience, and the last time she joined the team, I felt her passion and her ability to lead the team. She has compassion for her teammates so we asked her to be our captain," he said with high expectations.

https://hochi.news/articles/20220811-OHT1T51212.html?page=1

• Making a foreigner captain because she played 1 season with them isn't a very Japanese thing to do. She must get along extremely well to have left that impression. Say PFU got someone like Melissa Vargas they're still not reaching that top 3.

• Making a foreigner captain because she played 1 season with them isn't a very Japanese thing to do. She must get along extremely well to have left that impression. Say PFU got someone like Melissa Vargas they're still not reaching that top 3.

Now that you mentioned it, they might actually stand a chance at top 3 IF it were Vargas. Vargas and Valdes would mean pure business. This coach doesn't sound like he wants that. He's trying to revive a libero who hasn't played for 4 years, not that it's wrong but clearly they're not that team.

• Now that you mentioned it, they might actually stand a chance at top 3 IF it were Vargas. Vargas and Valdes would mean pure business. This coach doesn't sound like he wants that. He's trying to revive a libero who hasn't played for 4 years, not that it's wrong but clearly they're not that team.

Neither Tahara nor Yamashita can set to Vargas so I'm having a hard time visualizing it

• Toray libero Yumi Nakagawa took a four year hiatus after giving birth and will be playing for PFU next season. She now goes as Nakagawa.

Does anyone remember her? ...I don't

I do. She was one of the Toray players I liked. She is “Hayashi” now. Made the wide NT in 2017 or 18 but just disappeared now we know why

• I do. She was one of the Toray players I liked. She is “Hayashi” now. Made the wide NT in 2017 or 18 but just disappeared now we know why

I got it backwards. I thought her name before she got married was Hayashi.

Did she get injured before getting married? the new articles coming in mainly about Acosta are the only ones to mention that she gave birth. But in articles dated when she left Toray it doesn't state anything about her marrying or giving birth to a child.

• I got it backwards. I thought her name before she got married was Hayashi.

Did she get injured before getting married? the new articles coming in mainly about Acosta are the only ones to mention that she gave birth. But in articles dated when she left Toray it doesn't state anything about her marrying or giving birth to a child.

I don't know anything about an injury. If you do a search on the forum for Yumi Nakagawa, you can see posts I was making back then: "what happened to Yumi?" I thought she was quite good. She remained on the official V.League "Transfer Hoper" list for at least a year or two after she disappeared. It was a big mystery to me

• By the way do we know if Sara Lozo is still signing with Ageo?

I don't think we know that for sure -- the double contract kerfuffle and all -- and I don't think we know who Toyota is going to sign ... Cuttino? And not sure where I read that Plak is a bigger question mark now than she was a month or two ago. Maybe that was just someone posting here without evidence that Lozo or Cuttino might be headed for Himeji

I guess SAGA is still an unknown, isn't it?

I believe Tapp is still on tap for Hitachi