Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2022-2023

• Do you know the history of B.League? Why B.League is being more successful than V.League? Basketball is less popular than volleyball in Japan. Why?

If basketball players are doing fine in Japan, volleyball players will be fine too.

In terms of success they are below J League, with Japan's baseball central and pacific leagues being the biggest in Japan.

After the women's basketball team's success at Tokyo Olympics they gained even more sponsors while JVA and VL lost sponsors. The only one in the women's division unaffected by the lack of sponsorship is Hisamitsu.

• The basketball league that JBA ( an organization like JVA) used to organzied was unpopular in Japan. People didn't even know there was a such league existed.

FIBA (like FIVB) forced JBA to reform the basketball league in Japan. Now B.League draw more investments and audience than V.League by becoming a pure professional and market-oriented league.

If basketball can do it, so does volleyball.

• In terms of success they are below J League, with Japan's baseball central and pacific leagues being the biggest in Japan.

After the women's basketball team's success at Tokyo Olympics they gained even more sponsors while JVA and VL lost sponsors. The only one in the women's division unaffected by the lack of sponsorship is Hisamitsu.

You only think of women's side? Don't you know men play volleyball in Japan too? Did Japan men's team do well in Tokyo Olympcis? Why men's V.League still lost audience while men's B.League gains more?

• UNIVAS just went behind a paywall with regards to VOD, and consequently downloading. Live streams are still happening for the Autumn Tournaments but I bet they disappear for All Japan

You can get one week of free VOD in their app, but you can't watch the matches on the Web (PC). Not to mention the app is available only in the Japan App Store, so not an option

The Live Streams will offer that silly camera switching view experience for Premium Payers

This can't really be about being profitable. How many people would sign up for this? It can only be so somebody's uncle can tell people "At least we're not giving anything away for free".

What was the number for VTV paid subscribers? 5,000? in all of Japan? UNIVAS will be lucky to get 500, considering students can all get it for free.

So ... no HS, no Uni, no V2 any more . Way to grow the game Japan :drink:

• According to business report, VTV paid subscribers are 12,000.

• According to business report, VTV paid subscribers are 12,000.

Still seems like scraps ... Do you know if there is any breakdown of the three options: Women's, Men's, Both?

I wonder what the fan enthusiasm is for men's Uni Ball, and especially since you folks bring up baseball and basketball. Maybe those sports will bring money to UNIVAS.

I wish JVL could step in and tell UNIVAS not to take away volleyball :)

• Still seems like scraps ... Do you know if there is any breakdown of the three options: Women's, Men's, Both?

I wonder what the fan enthusiasm is for men's Uni Ball, and especially since you folks bring up baseball and basketball. Maybe those sports will bring money to UNIVAS.

If true then no wonder DAZN broke their contract. 12000 is tragic that's close to dry.

• Still seems like scraps ... Do you know if there is any breakdown of the three options: Women's, Men's, Both?

They don't have breakdown. They didn't show how many are yearly subscribers and how many are monthly.

I don't think UNIVAS is profitable. It just doesn't like how NCAA does in US.

• Their servers are unstable that's why they block non-Japan IPs

That's interesting

They could easily reduce the load on their servers by not attempting to stream fake 1080 / 60 fps that still looks like absolute shit and makes a match 7–9 GB if you download it and it still looks like shit. It's absurd

FIVB/ASEAN/Haruka HS matches at 1280/30 fps look infinitely better than any VTV crap

• A pretty typical review of the UNIVAS App, which seems pretty typical of Japan's inability to provide a quality experience:

"worst worst app

Each ad is too long, and every time I switch apps, I can't watch the video, and then I see two long ads again. Besides, I can't rewind or fast forward ... I think you'll understand if you try using it, but unless it's a game that you want to see so badly, you won't want to watch it"

OMFG

Not to mention you have to use your phone # or Apple/Google ID to register, and then they use the infamous "Adjust".com to track you all over fuck

This has nothing to do with sports or volleyball. It's just a data mining sickness dreamed up by someone's nephew
  • Ebata mentions Valdes who she calls "Melissa senshu(honorific)" and Mikoto Shima as her pick of players to watch this season.

Shinnabe doesn't seem to know who Mikoto Shima is as you can clearly see Fukuzawa say "do you know her?" or something like that. Anyway Shinnabe doesn't mention any players in this clip but she says Nika-san(?) at 0:21 but like who huh idk

Already added the timeframe where Ebata talks about it when you play the video

• so if you are not in japan you wont be able to watch the match unless you will use VPN? Why is that lol.

what match? The Uni stuff? VTV?

• Vtv. What us uni stuff?

You can watch VTV without vpn. The Uni stuff is the UNIVAS business mentioned a few posts up

• Time to cancel my VBTV subscription and get the women's VTV :call: