Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2022-2023

• Hannah Tapp has some kind of hair product malfunction this year :white:

• brahmin or anybody know where they let us know who the commentators are?

• brahmin or anybody know where they let us know who the commentators are?

they don’t really have a page stating who is doing play-by-play and commenting. On their Twitter feed, easysportsjp, they have posted some on the men’s with details. Not as much for the women yet.

their other account on Twitter, vtv_easysports have the play-by-play people listed

• I just looked and they had an extended walking around thing with funny hats on but I didn't see Kobata or Aika

Kobata and Akutagawa did some live voice commentary thing, although I'm not sure if they did it for the EasySports stream or something else.

JT had a sort of Halloween celebration while they walked around greeting fans and whatnot, hence the funny hats and ornaments :lol: They often do these festive things

• If you're willing to pay you can register for their subscription. I dont really know any youtube channels that uploads stuff (yet) the ones from last season were already taken down

Follow the link here

Yeah so you can either subscribe to the VLeague's official stream (EasySports) or if you're lucky, you might stumble upon some Thai YouTube channels like this one, although I think they mainly post replays of each set rather than stream it live

• Kinda miss Annie's fast pace and swing :lol:

I'm hoping to see Nishizaki step up in her libero position and improve her speed and tracking skills

• Kinda miss Annie's fast pace and swing :lol:

Lowe is like night to Annie's day

• Where's Annie playing atm?

I have no idea but I think she's not playing anywhere at the moment. She doesn't have a current team listed on volleybox

• Kawai and his JVA staff watching the games. The guy wearing white is Akio Yamamoto JVA Council Chairman. The ones with stripey ties are Hisamitsu execs the one from JVA's sponsorship division

• Ai is the pictograph for love, there are different ways Ai can be written.

Kuro is black or dark and go is later or after.

Her kanji is 黒後 愛, which can be interpreted in Chinese as:

黒 - black, dark

後 - behind (後面), after (難後), queen (皇后)

愛 - love, affection, fondness, be fond of, be attached to, delight

Love, After Dark is quite a direct translation, taking each character for its own individual meaning instead of how it interacts with other characters to form a deeper, contextual meaning. Of course, the Japanese context might differ slightly from the Chinese, but the feelings around each word revolve around somewhat similar themes. Japanese family names seem to vary in origin, from being taken from natural environments they live in (i.e. Ishikawa means "stone river", which might mean "Mayu of Stone River") to objects (i.e. Kobata) and to other things, but based on what we translated above, Kurogo seems quite different.

Could it mean "dark queen"? Could it mean that the family/clan/tribe has something black on their behinds (i.e. very black hair, cultural customs that are lost in time)? Could it mean a "dark past"? Not sure.

"Ai" also has a variety of meanings, which gives wide implications to its name bearer. It seems to be quite an open-ended word, with not so much emphasis on "love" as we know it. Her parents might have intended for the name to give this kind of meaning to her life, but she could take it and intepret it to become something different. So although it's much much easier just to translate her name into English as "Love", it doesn't reflect her entirely as a person.

Names carry a lot of weight, and this is a belief that I can testify is very heavily considered by Chinese people. We are particular even of the particles that constitute the entire character, and believe that even the difference in strokes can mean different implications for a person. I'm not sure if the Japanese have similar sentiments.

Why was it important for me to write this whole paragraph talking about the meaning of Kurogo's name? It's not, but I was just thinking and wanted to share it anyway :rolll::rolll:

If you read this far, thank you :heart:

• Kobata and Akutagawa did some live voice commentary thing, although I'm not sure if they did it for the EasySports stream or something else.

JT had a sort of Halloween celebration while they walked around greeting fans and whatnot, hence the funny hats and ornaments :lol: They often do these festive things

No, EasySports only had the usual guys. To hear Mako and Aika, you had to use a link on your phone in the stadium and bring earphones.

• 孝子 filial child

貴子 precious child

Both are spelled Takako

It is really up to the parents to name their kids. I have never asked my Japanese friends why they were named the way they were. The pictographs probably give some of the reasoning by the parents.

• 孝子 filial child

貴子 precious child

Both are spelled Takako

It is really up to the parents to name their kids. I have never asked my Japanese friends why they were named the way they were. The pictographs probably give some of the reasoning by the parents.

Yeah, in Chinese 子 is also used to say "child". It's very interesting how some parents name their kids, and I noticed how some seem to name their kids not based on meaning like the examples of Takako that you gave, but based on "aesthetic" kind of characters that are visually pleasing to read

• I like how Ai Kurogo’s name has been auto translated into “ Love, after dark “ It has a romantic feel about it. It also reminded me of Ai Fukuhara 福原愛, retired table tennis player who was so popular in both Japan and China ! btw Ai Fukuhara can be translated into....” Love in the field(land) of blessings “

• I love this photoshop endeavor

Tamaki :rose:

• No, EasySports only had the usual guys. To hear Mako and Aika, you had to use a link on your phone in the stadium and bring earphones.

This is so cool :heart: