GSS Tokyo Sunbeams 1–3 JA Gifu Rioreina

26-28

21-25

26-24

21-25

94–102

Forest Leaves with their 2nd win of all time :drink:

--------

Surprised Prestige lost to Brilliant Aries. Prestige is the best team in V2. Has been for the past three years. But they have bad luck, and that bad luck may have just struck. Their setter, Merumo Ishimori, was carried off the floor near the end of set 3. They don't have another setter :what:

The girl who took over as setter in this match signed with the team as libero, then moved to OH when they signed master libero Miyabi Arizono :heart:

I don't know why they haven't addressed this problem. Their two main setters for the past few years have been injury prone ... or something (we never know). Veteran Megumi Tamura, my favorite, barely played last year and hasn't even dressed this year :(  Hikaru Nagino retired at the end of last year. Ishimori played about half time last year and she's all they got this year. If she's out, doom is imminent

Prestige seems like a big sports conglomerate of sorts, but they get no respect or love. They are the only team in V2 besides Chiba, the team of nurses, that has no means or no interest in streaming their matches. That seems dumb today (even if streaming them on IG is super dumb, at least it's something). They have already missed the opportunity to grab a Uni Girl. I can't think of one that's good and still available. The good ones who weren't drafted in the last month are still underclassmen

Maybe it's the curse of being way up north on the Sea of Japan

Gunma Bank and Brilliant Aries went the BCS route (Aries's is Chinese but it's the same thing), and Gunma was able to lure Hiano Michishita, Airi Meguro, and Ranna Shiraiwa into their camp, Prestige may again fall by the wayside :white:

--------

V2 is doing that silly Final 3 thing this season. Gunma and The Allies are pretty much locked in for it. Prestige should be, should have been, but now it looks like there may be a 3-way brawl between Prestige, Breath Hamamatsu, and ... dare I say ... Ligare Sendai :rose:

I don't know why Sendai hasn't hired a real Head Coach. Arisa Sato has done well with the team but she has her hands in so many things ....

• My favorite V2 setter, Yuna Kato

• ;( Arisa Sato is retiring ;(

Tweet

I would like to make an announcement in the middle of the league.

I will retire at the end of this season.

In addition, I will retire from the position of director

I will retire from Ligare Sendaiand will be leaving Ligare Sendai.

I will tell you about my thoughts and future activities at a press conference

• Wait so is she only leaving Ligare but still has plans on playing for a different team? because if that were the case I hope she goes back to Hitachi

I understand her to mean that she is going to stop playing volleyball AND leave the Ligare Organization. But that's google translate

I think she is moving on to a new career. I guess we wait and see. It's strange tho, to make the announcement now ... The team probably knows about it but still

The "News" item on Ligare web site is funny

• I understand her to mean that she is going to stop playing volleyball AND leave the Ligare Organization. But that's google translate

I think she is moving on to a new career. I guess we wait and see. It's strange tho, to make the announcement now ... The team probably knows about it but still

The "News" item on Ligare web site is funny

I don't know if it's normal for V2 players but the timing of her announcement couldn't have been more odd. I saw that Kana Oyama is taking over. I saw her ig post and was wondering why Arisa wasn't in the photo with the rest of the team.

If Arisa does move on to a new career that's hopefully not the typical announcer job, I hope it will still be within the volleyball field. She's been kind of alienated by her peers or maybe it's just due to her not belonging to any agency that she doesn't get invited to shows. Since Ebata Rio and Saori are all under the same agency I wanna see her there too.

• I saw that Kana Oyama is taking over. I saw her ig post and was wondering why Arisa wasn't in the photo with the rest of the team.

Wait. What?

What IG? This?

• Has Arisa's IG always been Arisa Chu?

Her home page is inaccessible

• Kana Oyama is taking over. I saw her ig post and was wondering why Arisa wasn't in the photo with the rest of the team.

Anyway, I had to go back and look at that IG post if that's what you were referencing and realized that Arisa's not there because that's Veertien Mie. Kana Oyama is Executive Advisor for that team

• from the hometown Kahoku Shinpo article.

https://kahoku.news/articles/20230120khn000034.html

it looks like she does not have a V1 coaching license, which is required if the team is going to make the jump to V1. Which still in my mind they would not be able to make.

after looking at the licensing regulations from 2019, Saito may have been registered as a player-coach but the technical “coach” team per league regulations was as a personal in charge of training (ikusei tanto).

She needs coaching certification at level 4 with the Japan Sports Foundation to be eligible to coach at V1 level. She may only have an level 3, which is fine for V2.

Level 3 has 150 hours of common subjects and 60 hours of volleyball specific subjects. While level 4 is 151+ hours of common subjects and 80 hours of volleyball specific subjects.

Arisa probably liked having a lifestyle of some volleyball and some promotion, but the actual coaching and playing and promotional stuff, just made it impossible to actually be “full time coach”. Let alone the gap to the top teams in V2, with the team still hoping to make it to V1, made it a good time to leave. She kept the team afloat and helped get them into the league, but for her, she can see her former teammates doing fun stuff in their post volleyball work.

• One of the other things may also be how much she was being paid. MY opinion not published.

Considering she was a playing coach and she may have said, look if you want me to be a full time coach, pay me this because I can make more not coaching and playing.

Also by shifting to the promotional work, she does not have the stress of coaching and can have a “normal” life, which after playing from high school to professional life can wear on you.

• The abrupt nature of this announcement has a buzz that some 'news' was going to leak and they wanted to get out in front of it. I'm getting Fukuoka Kanao SeaCats vibes

IIRC the organization tried to restart the Sendai Belle Fille franchise with old coaches and players. Then Arisa bullied her way in and took over and all the Belle Fille people split :) Maybe that old fight is heating up :box:

I hope they spill the beans soon or I'm going to start making stuff up .... :teach:

• Kudos to the V2 teams trying to stream their matches on the youtube (Hamamatsu, Forest Leaves, GSS Tokyo) but why is it that when they play Sendai or Veertien Mie they don't work? :(

• 2023.01.21 Results

Home [-] Away
    Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Stats

JA Gifu 1–3 Prestige International

25-23

23-25

18-25

22-25

88–98

Breath Hamamatsu 3–0 Veertien Mie

25-18

26-24

25-14

76–56

Forest Leave 2–3 Hiroshima Oilers

25-18

19-25

25-13

15-25

14-16

98–97

Gunma Bank 3–1 Ligare Sendai
    25-20 25-23 27-29 25-22 102–94

Forest Leaves was so close to having a winning streak. They scored more points than Hiroshima so I'm going to give them the win :drink:

• 2023.01.22 Results

Home [-] Away
    Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Stats

JA Gifu 3–1 GSS Tokyo

21-25

25-18

25-17

25-19

96–79

Hamamatsu 2–3 Ligare Sendai

25-23

17-25

19-25

25-18

13-15

99–106

Forest Leaves 3–2 Brilliant Aries

16-25

25-22

26-28

25-20

15-13

107–108

Chiba Angel Cross 3–1 Veertien Mie

25-18

25-27

25-22

25-18

100–85

I'm all for the Chiba Nurses winning but not at the expense of Veertien Mie. I was going to point out the rose in Veertien Mie's cap of beating Brilliant Aries earlier this season but ... oops! Forest Leaves just beat Brilliant Aries =O What a bizarre match that was. Brilliant Aries had a 17-4 advantage in blocks and an 8–1 advantage in Aces, but a deficit of 6–30 in errors

Big win for Ligare Sendai but it's sloggered a bit by the Arisa Sato news. It's possible they make Final 3 this year ... but what happens after that? In the three years Ligare Sendai has been putzing about there has never been another libero on the team. One would think it prudent for them to acquire one to get some guidance from the master. When Arisa missed a recent match due to covid Sendai simply played without a libero. They didn't suit up one of their defensive OHs. Who knows how the future will unfold

• The abrupt nature of this announcement has a buzz that some 'news' was going to leak and they wanted to get out in front of it. I'm getting Fukuoka Kanao SeaCats vibes

IIRC the organization tried to restart the Sendai Belle Fille franchise with old coaches and players. Then Arisa bullied her way in and took over and all the Belle Fille people split :) Maybe that old fight is heating up :box:

I hope they spill the beans soon or I'm going to start making stuff up .... :teach:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/artic…736d159486a3ed2621cf3d6df

don’t have to make stuff up. They basically told her that they were going in another direction with a level 4 coach (who already has the license).

I will say that if the team could not afford a second libero, what makes me think they can afford a better coach?

• I'm guessing she doesn't want her retirement to be buried once another veteran retires by the end of the season.

And so begins the Rio gang retirement. I thought I'd be dreading this the most since Saori retired but I'm kind of looking forward to it now.

• Arisa held a local presscon earlier today but the headline says leaving Ligare / or quite literally "retirement from the team" as a director. I'm not convinced that she's actually ending her career but Japanese retirement announcements has always been confusing.