S.Korea - 2022-2023 V-League (Women)

• I know Korean Vollleyball is very popular now but... :what:

Korea has the money to attract anyone if they wished to honestly

They are just traditional and wanted to stick to Korean coaches (who can understand their hierachy and culture and/or listen to higher ups)

I heard he was in discussion for next season, didn't expect him to join immediately this season

THY found a new coach?

Good coach though, pretty well known for bringing up players from what I've heard

But, this doesn't necessarily mean his style will translate in Korea. European style volleyball and Asian style clashes a lot. Lavarini did fantastic with the NT (cream of the crop) since they have decent height and setting capabilities to match his requirements.

I'm curious how that'll look in v-league itself

Italian coach in Heungguk, American coach in Pepper

Hope Pepper gets good players next season to be a serious contender

• I remember him specifically because he handled Fenerbache in 2017, with KYK and Nootsara in his roster.

I just hope this helps Korea become more competitive now that they are opening up to new ideas. They were pretty good even before, but have always been middle of the road (with a few but exceptional/memorable successes).

• Based on some accounts, Director Kim Hochul was antagonizing KYK, making faces at her during the call. I don't know how real it is though, given these same accounts are hardcore KYK stans.

Turns out above account by her fans was false

IBKs Kim Ho Cheol said that because KYK flailed her arms upwards while cursing at the referee (for not calling a double contact) shocked even Santana on IBK because she understood the swear words spouted by KYK. He said her actions is something which is considered rude even in Europe and a player could be ejected for it

Kim Ho Chul did taunt KYK by saying "Is it acceptable for a star player like you to curse?", he then asked the referees whether she should be given a warning since she had even cursed directly at them - though in a different language (source)

Article also claims Heungguk wanted to sent an official protest against Kim Hochul, until IBK found a video of KYK from the match and prepared a response. KOVO ended up doing nothing at all.

Biggest problem though are her fans who actually sent condolences (RIP) wreaths to IBK and spammed their office with complaint faxes. Which IBK had to get city council and police involvement to stop.

Her fans are truly kdrama levels of toxic.

Kinda ridiculous that such a huge issue evolved from a simple wrong call - add to that, not all sets that spins are necessarily double contact.

• It's been an exciting couple of matches this month, with Pepper and Hyundai going to 5 sets (Coach Ahin finally arrived in Korea) and Hi-Pass defeating Pink Spiders (with a good chance that Hillstate may again take the number 1 spot).

But the best news today came with the re-appointment of a new director for KOVO. Based on this article, they are now expanding the salary cap for Women's teams (finally!):

Accordingly, the total compensation for the women's division in the 23-24 season was 2.8 billion (salary cap 1.9 billion + option cap 600 million + win bonus 300 million), 24-25 season 2.9 billion (salary cap 2 billion + option cap 600 million + win allowance 300 million) ), 25-26 season 3 billion (2.1 billion salary cap + 600 million option cap + 300 million winning bonus).

It continues to baffle me that despite the obvious popularity of Korean women's volleyball teams in Korea, the men's team are still paid higher than them (there's even criticism with regards to how men's team couldn't even sell its stadium seats, unlike the women's team, even in TV ratings). Also, the Asian quarter is now in full-swing preparation (tryouts will happen in April). Hopefully, it will spur better competitiveness in Korea and an even better distribution of players in the league.

Now if only they can change that damn Star ball to an FIVB-regulated one.

EDIT: Oops, it was the same director from previous years (had a great track record apparently :whistle:)

• I used to agree that the female salary cap should be increased to match the male's considering the popularity, but increasing the salary cap will not help the league.

It has been clear - especially in recent seasons - that the salary cap only benefits a small group of star players (due to their popularity and star power. It used to also be proportional to their ability/output but not so much in recent years - i.e. Heejin, Soyoung)

Majority of the players do not even make 100,000. A few do make 100,000-250,000. Whereas the star players take up a large slice of the pie with 500,000-700,000.

This increase in salary cap will only drive up the amount clubs can offer to attract star players to their clubs, and it will not flow down to the other players.

I hope the max 700,000/player does not change along with the overall salary cap. Aside from KYK and Yang Hyojin, no other player deserves more than 600,000 at the moment.

Now that there is Asian Quarter and 2/7 will be foreigners, it will drive up the "price" of domestic players even more. I hope Pepper brings over more players during FA and evens out the competition/pool more equally.

But I agree the volleyball should really be changed:sos:

• I shouldn't laugh.... but who goes to a foreign country with gummies :lol::lol: she's an idiot

are athletes even allowed to take those?

I remember seeing some American track and field athlete got dinged for weed consumption before the Olympics and was complaining about it.

But then maybe volleyball is more relaxed about these kinds of drugs.

• are athletes even allowed to take those?

I remember seeing some American track and field athlete got dinged for weed consumption before the Olympics and was complaining about it.

But then maybe volleyball is more relaxed about these kinds of drugs.

Sha’carri was banned because she tested positive during competition.

outside of competition it’s fine.

also Nia got in trouble for having it, not because she took it (she never tested positive for it)

• Sha’carri was banned because she tested positive during competition.

outside of competition it’s fine.

also Nia got in trouble for having it, not because she took it (she never tested positive for it)

Yeah, it also seemed that she was caught as early as September 2022, but tested negative. So she was already playing with the idea that she is being investigated. Well, with Pepper's performance, it would be a quick departure for her.

• Anybody noticed why the players in KGC are so cold to Elizabeth?

The coach, setter and some players seem to be giving her the tude when she is totally carrying the whole team on her back.

I wonder if it was better she stayed at Pepper for this season and just play happy volleyball...

The coach, setter and some players seem to be giving her the tude when she is totally carrying the whole team on her back.

I wonder if it was better she stayed at Pepper for this season and just play happy volleyball...

How did you arrive at that conclusion? ?(

Based on their many games with Elizabeth, they have a pretty good relationship with her. I think she's closest with Yeum, Noran, and Chae Son Ah. Also, she's always smiling when playing (unless she's having an error party). Her coach though has always been like that. Even when he was coaching the men's team, he has a "complaining" style of coaching. A much lesser Lee JungChul (without the accolade) if you will.

• How did you arrive at that conclusion? ?(

Based on their many games with Elizabeth, they have a pretty good relationship with her. I think she's closest with Yeum, Noran, and Chae Son Ah. Also, she's always smiling when playing (unless she's having an error party). Her coach though has always been like that. Even when he was coaching the men's team, he has a "complaining" style of coaching. A much lesser Lee JungChul (without the accolade) if you will.

This is nothing to do with Elizabeth but her team members. I noticed this based on the KR YT comments where some ppl have observed this and when I was watching the last few games with KGC vs pink spiders, I definitely felt the cold wind treatment.

Anyways they only have one more game left so I just hope she doesn't get injured and goes to a better club next season to develop her skils further.

I don't see it

She's close with Yeum

• I don't see it

She's close with Yeum

I rest my case. Do pls watch the videos properly please. Yeom and most of the team members hardly makes eye contact with Elizabeth. For Yeom maybe she does 2/10 times.

I just hope she doesn't injure herself like Yasmeen in the last game and moves to another team that deserves her.

PS. Many KR viewers have already noticed it and have made comments on YT as well.