Italian Women's NT 2023

• Considering Manfredini plays in Sassuolo in A2, and this tournament is for U18 clubs (B1 levels) so I guess she doesn't participate at all. She outgrow her teammates already.

Adigwe is just too powerful for this age and defeat Volleyrò with approximately 25 pts in 3 sets. :obey::obey:

She is three years younger than Antropova, a very promising opp:heart::heart:

Manfredini plays in Moma Anderlini, they were eliminated in the quarter finals by Volleyrò and ended up in 5th place. I watched a little of the 5th-6th final this morning and she was playing as MB but staying in the backrow for reception 😂

Anyway couldn't watch the final between Volleyrò and Imoco but I'm not surprised Imoco won in straight set - the organization for this tournament this year is crazy. Both teams played already twice yesterday (quarter finals in the morning and semis in the afternoon) and Volleyrò ended up playing 5 sets both times (Imoco won both in 3 sets). Yesterday already in the semi you could see the girls from Volleyrò were worned out, I doubt they were able to gather enough energies (both physical and mental) in the morning, I'm assuming an overall poor performance and many "dumb" mistakes. They should at very least have the final in the afternoon not the third game in 24hours or so

• Manfredini played in Moma Anderlini which finished 5th (she was MVP of the regional qualies, so I guess she was there).

All the games were streamed on FIPAV YT Channel if anyone is interested.

I remembered that most players of club Italy went on to play the national U18 last year. So I guess that it was a possibility for Mafrendini to play that tournament

• Manfredini plays in Moma Anderlini, they were eliminated in the quarter finals by Volleyrò and ended up in 5th place. I watched a little of the 5th-6th final this morning and she was playing as MB but staying in the backrow for reception 😂

Anyway couldn't watch the final between Volleyrò and Imoco but I'm not surprised Imoco won in straight set - the organization for this tournament this year is crazy. Both teams played already twice yesterday (quarter finals in the morning and semis in the afternoon) and Volleyrò ended up playing 5 sets both times (Imoco won both in 3 sets). Yesterday already in the semi you could see the girls from Volleyrò were worned out, I doubt they were able to gather enough energies (both physical and mental) in the morning, I'm assuming an overall poor performance and many "dumb" mistakes. They should at very least have the final in the afternoon not the third game in 24hours or so

She was already doing do during the last matches of the Pool Promozione A2. Apparently they saw that she could also play as an OH. I just hope she stays playing as an MB. She's just too good of an MB

• Manfredini plays in Moma Anderlini, they were eliminated in the quarter finals by Volleyrò and ended up in 5th place. I watched a little of the 5th-6th final this morning and she was playing as MB but staying in the backrow for reception 😂

totally agree.

This is crazy and not the first time they organize matches like this. I remember last year teams also have to play two matches in one day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. This is not the right way to treat these athletes..

• She was already doing do during the last matches of the Pool Promozione A2. Apparently they saw that she could also play as an OH. I just hope she stays playing as an MB. She's just too good of an MB

I know, but in A2 she was playing as regular OH, here as an old school MB - in the middle when in the front row and on libero position in the backrow

• Off topic but Santarelli said in an interview that Turkey is the only country with two OPPs (Vargas and Ebrar) of very high level and he would try to find a way for both of them to play. Imo, if Antropova were to play the European, Italy would have an even stronger duo of OPPs. Do you think Mazzanti would try Antropova as an OH? Barbolini already said she is not a bad passer.

• I remembered that most players of club Italy went on to play the national U18 last year. So I guess that it was a possibility for Mafrendini to play that tournament

She's not Fedorovtseva after all, did she get a call for wide VNL roster? If not, it's not like she would have had anything serious to do volleyball-wise regardless. In male event, Bovolenta from senior NT camp came by and crushed every team individually, and yet Ravenna barely won a title, it was hilarious to follow.

Premi individuali

Miglior Centrale: Princess Atamah - VolleyRò Casal de Pazzi

Miglior Schiacciatrice: Merit Adigwe- Imoco Volley

Miglior libero: Anna Bardaro - Imoco Volley

Miglior Palleggiatrice: Safa Allaoui – Volleyrò Casal de Pazzi

MVP: Merit Adigwe- Imoco Volley

Princess Atamah sounds like cute Disney character.

• Off topic but Santarelli said in an interview that Turkey is the only country with two OPPs (Vargas and Ebrar) of very high level and he would try to find a way for both of them to play. Imo, if Antropova were to play the European, Italy would have an even stronger duo of OPPs. Do you think Mazzanti would try Antropova as an OH? Barbolini already said she is not a bad passer.

Eeeeh, Barbolini said that 2 years ago or so when he first started working with her. He was asked again recently during the playoffs (if I'm not wrong before the second game with Milano) and he said he thinks she first need to focus on improving and establishing herself as opposite. Which tbh I don't disagree with, the few times I saw her playing on reception she's passable at best, meaning it could be ok playing with lower ranked teams in regular season but not even close to an acceptable level on higher level. As opposite she's obviously on a good level already but she can be shaky, she has a long way to go as far as consistency go

I think people are just too optimistic about a good opp turning into a solid OH. Playing OH requires a lot of effort and technics, especially when you have to pass for 6 rotations. Reception is not a skill that you can learn in one summer, it took years to master. Look at those Italian OHs who are always and still struggle in reception...Guerra, Villani, Degardi, Omoruyi etc. It's quite impossible that Kate could suddenly turn into the solid OH and passes the ball decently in high level matches, not to mention she is 202 cm tall.

Barbolini said that a long long time ago before Antropova even makes her name as opp. But She never play as full time OH and won against big teams. Kate said in the interview that she is willing to try different role on court so I guess coach would try her as OH, but I don't have high hope about this transition.

• Erika Esposito played well too but there is only one award given to wing spikers so obviously it belong to Adigwe.

Atamah is a very good slider. She and Manfredini are the MB sliders that we are waiting for :box::box:

The Volleyrò girls are all wearing the T-shit to remember Ituma :(

• I think people are just too optimistic about a good opp turning into a solid OH. Playing OH requires a lot of effort and technics, especially when you have to pass for 6 rotations. Reception is not a skill that you can learn in one summer, it took years to master. Look at those Italian OHs who are always and still struggle in reception...Guerra, Villani, Degardi, Omoruyi etc. It's quite impossible that Kate could suddenly turn into the solid OH and passes the ball decently in high level matches, not to mention she is 202 cm tall.

Barbolini said that a long long time ago before Antropova even makes her name as opp. But She never play as full time OH and won against big teams. Kate said in the interview that she is willing to try different role on court so I guess coach would try her as OH, but I don't have high hope about this transition.

I mean it's not unheard of. Look at Ebrar during the WCCH 2019. Of course they had Gabi and Gizem and Meliha entered during some rotations.

And ofc it's the most difficult skill to master but if she already can do it to an acceptable level I don't see why not they can give it a try.

Being 200m is not an impediment to be a good or decent passer. Look at Brayelin Martinez. Goncharova too played as an OH during the 2012 Olympics

• Receiving every now and then is something, playing as OH on a regular basis and being consistent is another. I don’t understand why some people think players should change their position. I mean, yeah, there are exceptions, but it rarely works. Every position has its own technique. This is not friends gathering for some balling, they are professionals.

• Eeeeh, Barbolini said that 2 years ago or so when he first started working with her. He was asked again recently during the playoffs (if I'm not wrong before the second game with Milano) and he said he thinks she first need to focus on improving and establishing herself as opposite. Which tbh I don't disagree with, the few times I saw her playing on reception she's passable at best, meaning it could be ok playing with lower ranked teams in regular season but not even close to an acceptable level on higher level. As opposite she's obviously on a good level already but she can be shaky, she has a long way to go as far as consistency go

I agree that she needs to work on her consistency but I wouldnt say she's a long way to go to achieve that.

• I mean it's not unheard of. Look at Ebrar during the WCCH 2019. Of course they had Gabi and Gizem and Meliha entered during some rotations.

And ofc it's the most difficult skill to master but if she already can do it to an acceptable level I don't see why not they can give it a try.

Being 200m is not an impediment to be a good or decent passer. Look at Brayelin Martinez. Goncharova too played as an OH during the 2012 Olympics

of course there are exceptions and some players did pull it off but that doesn't necessarily mean that it reached the best outcome. If Vakif is satisfied with Ebrar, they wouldn't buy MBH later.

I think it's good and beneficial that Kate could learn different skills and techniques , the more completed she is the merrier. When others OHs suck again at the same time, might as well throw Kate and Paola on court together :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:However As far as I know, her passing is no where near acceptable ( against big teams ofc). Her being a regular OH is beyond my imagination. Just being realistic

• I mean it's not unheard of. Look at Ebrar during the WCCH 2019. Of course they had Gabi and Gizem and Meliha entered during some rotations.

Ebrar's original position was OH, so she has the basics established. She is no where to be a great passer but I think she is 'decent'.

Also Hände switched her position from MB to Opp and then OH. She was a hopeless receiver and now she is very good. So it is not impossible but requires a club trusting a player and having patience to keep her in starting 6.

Mari is another example of Opp can turn out to be a good OH.

• Omoruyi scored 30+ pts in 4 sets against Thailand in 2021 VNL. The roster of Thailand back then was relatively weak but still showed her potential. I don't recall any other Italian OHs that scored more than 25 pts in NT these few years, let alone 30+ in 4 sets. Hope she has a good start in the first match against Thailand and hopefully a breakout this summer.

Omoruyi-Degradi duo will definitely have some trouble in reception ( plus neither liberos is not good passer), but they could provide more power when your opp(Nwakalor) is unsteady and weak. During the friendly games earlier, they both hit a lot of pipe so that may be new to watch, considering the senior team don't use pipe often ( coz Sylla is the only one OH on this high level that doesn't know how to attack from back row)

The chance of wining would be greatly different if we have Antropova instead of Nwakalor. So I am satisfied if it doesn't end up with 4 losses in the first week. :)