Italian Women's NT 2023

Pasini's altitude in two of his recent posts are really disappointing.

The analysis on Italy: between present and future

"Paola has stopped growing, while the competition (and the opposing walls/defenses) have grown. Today's Paola doesn't hit with the same incisiveness of 3 years, and the same could be said about her for defense. It is clear that most of the fans do not understand this."

I think that this is absolutely true. Paola is my favourite player but not only she stopped growing but also became worst. She has a strange development. Her best form was in 2019 2021 when she was in Imoco. After that she was awful in the Olympics ( I heard that she lost her granfather) and she reached to her best level again almost in the second half of 2021 2022 season and she was like that until the end of the VNL. After that she changed a lot again. Now she seems to have techniqual issues wich she did not had before. For exaple sometimes she has a lot of troubles with the attack from the position one , with high balls which is not close to the net and generally with OOS.

I sure that she still can find it again but is really strange that she could do all of these with a lot of comfort when she was playing for Novara or in the WC in 2018 , a lot of years ago and now she has difficulties. Also before some time period she was a really stronge player mentally , the player for the diificult balls and moments. Now when things is becoming difficult for exaple in the tie break or in the end of the set she is doing lot of error which she did not before.

Anyway despite all these she is still a top player but she has a lot of thing to work with , so that she can recover them again.

• You don't know it but she offends with a disarming gratuitousness

I forgive her even if she doesn't deserve it

She should have more respect

(the last three lines are the answer that Pasini received from Manfredi and the "she" he is talking about is Egonu)

so it seems that Paola has an attitude.

No, also Sentenza is wrong on that part of the translation - Pasini is using the formal you which in italian is the same as she (lei). Pasini is saying whoever is responding to is being offensive and should have more respect, not Egonu

• Honestly, it's so revolting to see Paola being disrespected like this by Mazzanti and the federation... You have maybe one of the greatest players this sport has ever seen in your hands, and you decide to treat her like shit to prove a point? It's unbelievable.

I know we are rivals, but Paola is one of my favorite players, and international competitions are just not the same without her. Do I want her to hit every single ball out when we play each other? Of course lol, but anyone who truly loves volleyball would be upset with this mess.

• Yes... One between Omoruyi, Degradi and Villani

Degradi made terrible subs everytime she was in, mistakes after mistakes. Omoruyi didn't even get any chances. They might as well get villani this time

• I am one of those people who believe that anything is done for a reason. So maybe the Italian federation including Mazzanti thought that they got Antropova and therefore they don’t need Palou any longer, therefore they started Antropova and everything looked good until Turkiye game. Now the Italian federation is stuck, they can’t blame the coach because that means they will be admitting their mistake. As I said before it is a very unfortunate situation, especially for Palou. She is truly one of the best Opp in the world and I wish this issue would get resolved well for all parties involved.

• Antropova should be prepared to play with Egonu, not alternately with her. Does anyone know the backstage of Valentina Diouf's leaving from the Italian team? When exactly was it and what was the reason?

There are rumors that Velasco has a clause in his contract with Busto that he can terminate the contract in the event of a job offer from the national federation...

I think that this is absolutely true. Paola is my favourite player but not only she stopped growing but also became worst. She has a strange development. Her best form was in 2019 2021 when she was in Imoco. After that she was awful in the Olympics ( I heard that she lost her granfather) and she reached to her best level again almost in the second half of 2021 2022 season and she was like that until the end of the VNL. After that she changed a lot again. Now she seems to have techniqual issues wich she did not had before. For exaple sometimes she has a lot of troubles with the attack from the position one , with high balls which is not close to the net and generally with OOS.

I sure that she still can find it again but is really strange that she could do all of these with a lot of comfort when she was playing for Novara or in the WC in 2018 , a lot of years ago and now she has difficulties. Also before some time period she was a really stronge player mentally , the player for the diificult balls and moments. Now when things is becoming difficult for exaple in the tie break or in the end of the set she is doing lot of error which she did not before.

Anyway despite all these she is still a top player but she has a lot of thing to work with , so that she can recover them again.

I disagree with this take that she has not grown as a player. Just look at her stats at a club level in Italy, she went from having a 40% spike success rate to 60%+ with more than 50% in efficiency. I mean she single-handedly beat a star-studded Vakif (a team that would beat any NT rn, no doubts) twice in a row with each performance better than the other, let alone her performances at the Turkish Cup and CL final earlier this year. A player who hasn't grown do not reach those levels. The bar for Paola is so high that even if she scores 35+ points in a match, for some fans that's not enough if she can't decide the fate of a game by herself. That said, it is true that she now lacks the lucity she used to have in previous years (2019, in which she saved 10 match points in a row against VB or 2021 at the CL finals). I think the real question here is why that hasn't translated to the NT lately? Is it lack of connection with the setter? Is it that the players around her do not support her (performance wise of course)? Is it the environment within the team?

In any case, Paola has shown that she can go back to her old decisive self (i.e. CL finals 2023) given the right circumstances but those have to be built around her so she can perform her best.

It is really sad to see that Italia is wasting her best player in history when Italia can be the best time in the world if coached and managed properly.

• Degradi made terrible subs everytime she was in, mistakes after mistakes. Omoruyi didn't even get any chances. They might as well get villani this time

Thats true but that doesnt mean shes out of thr NT. After all she did play a good VNL (in some sets she was actually instrumental to Italia's victory). In case of Omoruyi, it was totally Mazzanti's fault. I mean if you bring 3 OPPs and only use 2 why not give the libero shirt to Nwakalor rather than Lolly. One mistake Davide made was only having one OH sub available. Sylla was really underperforming and Degradi was not the solution so maybe Lolly could've done something more (not saying this could've changed the outcome but maybe).

• I am one of those people who believe that anything is done for a reason. So maybe the Italian federation including Mazzanti thought that they got Antropova and therefore they don’t need Palou any longer, therefore they started Antropova and everything looked good until Turkiye game. Now the Italian federation is stuck, they can’t blame the coach because that means they will be admitting their mistake. As I said before it is a very unfortunate situation, especially for Palou. She is truly one of the best Opp in the world and I wish this issue would get resolved well for all parties involved.

honestly I'm not even sure that changing the coach (which is an absolute must) will fix all the problems the NT is facing. After all, there are 3 parties involved and the relationship among all seems broken beyond repair.

• honestly I'm not even sure that changing the coach (which is an absolute must) will fix all the problems the NT is facing. After all, there are 3 parties involved and the relationship among all seems broken beyond repair.

As has been said several times, the situation is very complicated and worrying...

Everyone has their faults, Mazzanti, the Italian Federation and the female athletes...

I say "the female athletes", because in general, the question is being reduced to a battle between Coach, FIPAV and Egonu, but she is not the only athlete involved in the story and neither she nor the other athletes are angels without fault...

I don't think what is happening in the Italian national team is different from the dynamics that happen in many other national teams but evidently, the Italian national team managed once again to transform the situation into a drama according to the most classic Italian canons...

• Honestly, it's so revolting to see Paola being disrespected like this by Mazzanti and the federation... You have maybe one of the greatest players this sport has ever seen in your hands, and you decide to treat her like shit to prove a point? It's unbelievable.

I know we are rivals, but Paola is one of my favorite players, and international competitions are just not the same without her. Do I want her to hit every single ball out when we play each other? Of course lol, but anyone who truly loves volleyball would be upset with this mess.

Imagine how we are all feeling right now. But that's a typical Le Port des brumes Italian way to handle a difficult situation: everyone talking about fair treatment, but at the of the day there won't be no responsibles and the only one who get f***ed is the fan (or the citizen in the worst scenarios, but I don't want to go that far because that's not the right place to discuss these kind of topics).

• I'm really so fed up with all this silence. Titanic is sinking (and has been sinking since when?) and nobody takes the responability for that. The federation clearly doesn't care, or doesn't want to admit their mistakes.

What bothers me more are those senseless interviews given by Mazzanti: he keeps talking about a path on which they're on, about the group ecc... But I don't see any project, I don't see any path: the girls are young, talented and they have been playing together for many years now, it is not that you have to start all over with unexperienced players. Just admit that you don't have any clue of what you're doing and go home!

After every ECH iwn he wasn't completely satisfied, because in the trainings he saw an even more powerful and beautiful team-play.. well if that never happened during the games, you should start thinking. You are the coach and if the team doesn't follow you or doesn't transfer your instructions into the game, there's a proble. But they prefer to send the strongest players home.

I really don't have any words for this situation.

• https://www.otempo.com.br/blog…racha-na-italia-1.3228249

A Brazilian player told Bruno Voloch (our GLP, except way more annoying) that Paola, Moki, Chirichella and Bosetti went to FIPAV to try to get Mazzanti fired some time ago and said they wouldn't play for the NT if he stayed. FIPAV took Mazzanti's side.

Omg. Teams are now celebrating with this

one less strong opponent.

Was this right after eurovolley or was it before? (Because Paola ate her words with that one)

• Omg. Teams are now celebrating with this

one less strong opponent.

Was this right after eurovolley or was it before? (Because Paola ate her words with that one)

He doesn't specify when exactly it happened, but it was before Eurovolley. He said that Paola only accepted the invitation to play the Euros because she was called as third opposite, and the intent was to pressure the federation. Which worked in a way, because everyone knew that having Paola on the bench was ridiculous and it made people speculate that there was more to it than what Mazzanti/the federation were telling us.

• He doesn't specify when exactly it happened, but it was before Eurovolley. He said that Paola only accepted the invitation to play the Euros because she was called as third opposite, and the intent was to pressure the federation. Which worked in a way, because everyone knew that having Paola on the bench was ridiculous and it made people speculate that there was more to it than what Mazzanti/the federation were telling us.

I hope it works for them because Poland and USA will be their opponent. I hope they get knocked out this OQT. I don't think the newly revived Pietrini can carry this team.

• I hope it works for them because Poland and USA will be their opponent. I hope they get knocked out this OQT. I don't think the newly revived Pietrini can carry this team.

Besides chemistry issues, on paper Italy even with Antropova can easily defeat both Poland and USA, roster-wise ITA is still better than POL.

But considering that Italy will make it to the OG regardless due to ranking - it's better for Italy perhaps to lose OQT, and I'm not saying that as a Pole.

Normally I wouldn't believe in such rumors, but considering that Mazzanti said that his goal was to control the team once again, and then he said in an interview that no one else knows what's happening on a team as a response to Santarelli (well, he probably knows everything about what's happening inside) - then it may be truth.