Italian Women's NT 2023

• Carol is not an attacking MB for sure although she is one of the best blocking MBs. I was giving examples of all-around middles who could do both. Thaisa is one of those though

As if Carol is the only Brazilian MB. Brazil more than any other country has a long history of producing all-around world class MBs. Thaisa is just one of them. Add to thay Fabiana, Wal, Gataz, Juciely, Valeska, etc.

• I think you are giving too much importance to medals at junior levels. Common patterns seen in teams that are successful in junior levels but can't translate their success into senior level

I think this is partially true but Italia, as opposed to other countries, has consistently been on top of the junior competitions since 2015 and yet, there are only very few players at a world class level from those pools to feed the senior NT. And when that happens is because there is something fundamentally wrong in the way the development of those players is being treated. In my opinion, it's in part due to the lack of opportunities. With chances given to those players, the Lega level would drop a bit but not much and in return you get a much stronger ger NT. That's what worked for the Brazialian NT that dominated the junior competitions in the 2000s and went onto to become the best team in world for almost a decade. Jaque, Fabiana, Thaisa, Natalia, Gabi, Fe, etc. were part of those junior teams.

• I think this is partially true but Italia, as opposed to other countries, has consistently been on top of the junior competitions since 2015 and yet, there are only very few players at a world class level from those pools to feed the senior NT. And when that happens is because there is something fundamentally wrong in the way the development of those players is being treated. In my opinion, it's in part due to the lack of opportunities. With chances given to those players, the Lega level would drop a bit but not much and in return you get a much stronger ger NT. That's what worked for the Brazialian NT that dominated the junior competitions in the 2000s and went onto to become the best team in world for almost a decade. Jaque, Fabiana, Thaisa, Natalia, Gabi, Fe, etc. were part of those junior teams.

Same thing happened with Turkish golden gen in juniors, the 93-94 gen I think. In our case it was definitely also the players being benched all the time...but I hate to say it they were also a bit of a lazy generation. Like maybe lazy is the wrong word, but they were partying... A LOT. It was pre-economic crisis for Turkey too so the girls were enjoying life lol which I can't blame them for but facts are facts.

• Same thing happened with Turkish golden gen in juniors, the 93-94 gen I think. In our case it was definitely also the players being benched all the time...but I hate to say it they were also a bit of a lazy generation. Like maybe lazy is the wrong word, but they were partying... A LOT. It was pre-economic crisis for Turkey too so the girls were enjoying life lol which I can't blame them for but facts are facts.

How would you describe Neslihan Demir? Was she hardworking? Did she use 100% of her talent? When she played, Turkish clubs didn`t pay as much money as they do now.

• I think this is partially true but Italia, as opposed to other countries, has consistently been on top of the junior competitions since 2015 and yet, there are only very few players at a world class level from those pools to feed the senior NT. And when that happens is because there is something fundamentally wrong in the way the development of those players is being treated. In my opinion, it's in part due to the lack of opportunities. With chances given to those players, the Lega level would drop a bit but not much and in return you get a much stronger ger NT. That's what worked for the Brazialian NT that dominated the junior competitions in the 2000s and went onto to become the best team in world for almost a decade. Jaque, Fabiana, Thaisa, Natalia, Gabi, Fe, etc. were part of those junior teams.

For me this situation is simple: actually Italian clubs have no chance of financially beating the best Turkish clubs and winning titles in the Champions League. Therefore, even a slight lowering of the level will not change much: maybe at the beginning it will be more difficult to win against clubs from Poland or Germany but in the long time it will be good both the national team and the Italian league.

• How would you describe Neslihan Demir? Was she hardworking? Did she use 100% of her talent? When she played, Turkish clubs didn`t pay as much money as they do now.

Yes I think Neslihan definitely was very hardworking, she was giving her all and beyond, I remember interviews of her saying she has so much permanent damage on her body from pro-volleyball, her shoulders, knees etc.

• https://x.com/4141sport/status/1706552410519355581?s=20

4bir4bir shared it as well, its kind of an official page.

As the article says, no official decision will be made until mid-October, when the men's pre-Olympic competition will also end...

On the other hand, Velasco's name has never been mentioned in any FIPAV press release, nor any other coach...

Everyone knows that, barring incredible changes, it will end like this, but it's not official in any way...

• It will end like this but, for now, there is nothing official...

Ofc it is not official but almost all italian pages say it is over.

• İt will be italy's last chance to win the olympics with this golden generation.

Some of them will retire and most of them will be 30+ at the next olympics.

• However, with Velasco's arrival in the national team, another great winner will emerge from this situation...

Strengthened by the three-year contract he signed with Velasco, it is certain that Giuseppe Pirola, owner of Busto Arsizio, will collect a substantial severance pay from FIPAV: I don't know how he does it, but no matter how many misfortunes he's been through, he always seems to land on his feet....

• The end of Manzatti is a really good news. I hope that the new coach can bring something new to this team and to try new players and combinations because is a team who can win the gold in the olympics.

In my opinion some good changes could be : First of all the captain. Sylla is just not the right person. The captain is always one of the the best and stable players. Sylla is too messy to be a leader and it is really stressfull for the other players to see the captain to collapse literally in almost every important match and moment because despite her expirience she does not know how to play important matches. Moki could ne the perfect person for the job.

The second could be the return of the players who cutted this season like Bosetti ,Fahr , Moki , Chiricella , Egonu. They can add so much power to this group,

In the setter position the locked player is Orro. The other position is open to three players in my opinion : Bosio, Malinov and Signorile. Maybe it may surprise you, but I've always liked Signorile as a player because she seemed quite calm and steady, which is missing from the setters in Italy. I think that she deserves a chance to proove herself. Her expirience could be really useful if you think how fragile seemed the other Italian setters. For me Malinov is her best shape we all know that she can be great but she is the least reliable due to psychological fluctuations and lack of composure. Ι will never forget that in WC final when the score was 14 12 the match end from her bad set or what happened this season in Scandicci. Her character is dangerous for the team. Bosio from the other side was great in club season and I could say back then, that she was the missing piece in the setter position in Italy but as we all know she was not the same in NT. Maybe the problem was the coach but in any case is impossible to write her off because if she plays at its highest level then she can even take a place in the starting six.

In the OH position things are complicated. Sure after her performaces this season I can say that Pietrini has a sure place in the roster. Bosetti also has a sure place because of her reception ( Of course, the new coach of Novara gives me the feeling that he does not intend her as a starter, so if she spends her whole season on the bench then things will be complicated for her). The other places are also open. Omoruyi should have the third place because she is young and more stable than the other option. The other place is more difficult. From the one hand there is Sylla who has fail so many times but she is inpriring and gives energy to the team. From the other side there is Villani who was really good with her club and her attack ( specially her oos) is so important for the team. And the last solution Degradi who is so powerful and talented. If someone learn her how to limit mistakes and keep her cool she can be WORLDCLASS. Difficult choices and I believe that 5 OH could be a great solution for Italy. In anycase the form in the summer related also with their form in club season sprecially if you think that a lot of players probably they will have to face with the fact that they will not have much time in court. Bosetti probably will be on bench if Greta can attack better , Villani has a lot of competition and for Sylla I could say that if she had not Gaspari as head coach she would be the 4th option in Milano. Omoruyi also has to face stronge teammates.

In MB position there is also too much competition. Maybe this could cause drama to the team but if I was the head couch of Italy I could die to bring a player like Folie to the team. The things could be more complicated if the coach decides to bring 5 OH because he will need to cut from an other position which will be probably the MB. In any case none choice will suprise me in this position. NONE. The only locked player is Danesi. The others will needs to fight. Even Fahr because we do not know how to be with the setters in NT and she is a risky choice because of her injuries.

In the OPP position will be Egonu and Antropova for sure and there is no reason to try other players in the olympic season. Not even Nwakalor or Nicoletti who deserves a chance.

In the libero we all know that will be Moki if she decide to come back. Otherwise Fersino,

Manzattis end also means that ( thank God) we will not see again other crazy option like Parrocchiale , Mazzaro, Gennari and Dodorico.

• Thank you Mazzanti. :flower:

Whoever knows a little bit of the s*it inside this team is by your side. You might not be the best coach out there, but you did something more valuable as an educator. Arrogance and bad attitude won once more, but you won for me. Some of these girls are so lost that even the 2006 "military accademy Bonitta" won't be any help for this team.

Time to move the dust under the carpet.

• Yes... Mazzanti is a terrible coach, but he was starting to do something right...

It's clear that the federation, given that it has endorsed his choices, must cover him and instead is sending him to the slaughterhouse...

But he created the situation, it's not that it's questionable...

It is well known that the Italian national team is a den of vipers, but the same vipers are managed in the clubs and I don't think that the changing rooms in Turkey and Serbia are paradises with elves and fairies...

In my opinion, it should have been acknowledged that Mazzanti was not able to manage the group (and this was evident from the 2019 European Championship) and a coach had to be found who, with the total support of the federation, was able to do so...

Furthermore, Mazzanti has a big problem, which makes him seem more guilty than he is: he is a terrible communicator...

He is incapable of expressing a concept in public and he is generally embarrassing when he speaks...

Someone like that, in the current world of volleyball, as it has changed in the last 5 or 6 years, is chopped up by the athletes, the press and the fans and the Federation should have noticed...

The fact is that it shouldn't have come to this point: and the Federation is clearly to blame...

• Thank you Mazzanti. :flower:

Whoever knows a little bit of the s*it inside this team is by your side. You might not be the best coach out there, but you did something more valuable as an educator. Arrogance and bad attitude won once more, but you won for me. Some of these girls are so lost that even the 2006 "military accademy Bonitta" won't be any help for this team.

Time to move the dust under the carpet.

So who would you suggest to replace the coach? Mazzanti certainly had a successful in first period of work with the national team: 2017-2019 + the turn of 2021/2022 with victories Euro and VNL. Then something went wrong. An intelligent and wise coach would resign after the 2022 World Cup. Personally, I`m optimistic, because after the chaos with Bonitta, Barbolini took over the team in such a great way from 2007 that these were the best years in the history of the Italian women's NT. I hope it will be the same now. Btw., 15 years ago Italian volleyball players were also difficult and it was difficult to lead them.

Here is an interesting article regarding the possible arrival of Velasco: https://www.oasport.it/2023/09…re-litalia-dalle-macerie/