2023 Men's Volleyball NCAA Championship

• Hawai'i has really evolved their program over the past couple years. First relying on international recruits, but now even top upcoming freshman are committing to the team, some still in high school moving to the islands for a headstart in their volleyball culture.

• Hawai'i has really evolved their program over the past couple years. First relying on international recruits, but now even top upcoming freshman are committing to the team, some still in high school moving to the islands for a headstart in their volleyball culture.

Coach is the Key.

• Hawai'i having those foreigners who've experienced playing in international competitions puts them one step ahead compared to other players. Chakas (Greece) and Voss (Brazil) play with maturity, like they've had pro seasons under their belt. Thelle's (Norway) setting was shaky, but they managed. Mouchlias didn't have a good night which was expected as he takes awhile to get to form, but Galloway was able to add offense in his place.

For Ball State Jenness had a clean game and was the reason they were able to steal a set. Surely will get called again this summer for USA NT. Ndavazocheva (Zimbabwe) only a sophomore, still rough around the edges, but will get better in the coming years. He had some sort of injury after a serve and had to be replaced in set 4.

Hawai'i (#1) vs Ball State (#6)

• The commentators said that Ndavazocheva actually tried playing futbol, but because he was slow he wanted to try out volleyball. But I guess the sport is not really recognized in Zimbabwe so he decided to make his own team. lol. Now he's here in the US playing at the college level. :thumbup:

• Quick overview of foreigners in the Top 15 teams of the preseason poll. I apologize if I missed some players.

Hawai'i

Jakob Thelle (Norway) S

Dimitrios Mouchlias (Greece) OPP

Filip Humler (Czech Republic) OH

Guilherme Voss (Brazil) MB

Spyros Chakas (Greece) OH

Kurt Nusterer (Austria) MB

UCLA

Cole Ketrzynski (Canada) OH/OPP

Guy Genis (Israel) MB

Ido David (Israel) OH/OPP

LBSU

Skyler Varga (Canada) OH

Sotiris Siapanis (Cyprus) OH

Simon Torwie (Germany) MB/OPP

Nico Lietz (New Zealand) OPP

Penn State

Michal Kowal (Poland) OH

Sam Marsh (England) MB

Pepperdine

Yadiel Diaz (Puerto Rico) L

Ball State

Jakub Wiercinski (Poland) S

Tinaishe Ndavazocheva (Zimbabwe) OH

Eyal Rawitz (Israel) MB

UCSB

None

UC Irvine

William D/Arcy (Australia) OPP

Gustavo Gomes (Brazil) L

Hilir Henno (France) OH

Stefan Vartigov (Bulgaria) OH

Stanford

Justin Lui (Canada) L

USC

Simon Gallas (Germany) OPP/OH

GCU

None

Loyola Chicago

Vanja Petrasinovic (Serbia) OH

Ohio State

Alex Cabana (Cuba) MB/OPP

Lewis

Syver Drolsum (Norway) OPP

Antonio Rodriguez-Elias (Puerto Rico) MB

Princeton

Alexander Mrkalj (Canada) OH

Simon Xiao (New Zealand) L

Rodrigo Fernandez (Mexico) MB

• Thanks 🙂

• Game 1 matchup #4 UCLA sweeps #2 LBSU, 3-0.

UCLA:

Heavy hitter Ido from Israel was on fire, when they needed someone to put away the ball he was there. Knight also had a good match and UCLA's defense was better imo. McHenry highlights (5:00, 8:35, 12:39, 15:08). If he works on his blocking, he could be really good for the USA NT which I'm sure Speraw already has plans for.

LBSU:

This team currently doesn't have a reliable go to player like Nikolov. Godbold contributed little. The only bright spot was Siapanis from Cyprus. He's not a Nikolov, but he has good volleyball IQ. Watching him play you can see the gears in his head working when he makes his shot selection. Not really a fan of Knipe's setting.

Oddly though LBSU beat Penn State which is the only team UCLA lost to so far.

• Game 2, UCLA wins it 3-1 against LBSU.

LBSU:

Despite the loss their passing was better and setting was a little more consistent than the previous match. Knipe's connection with the middles was smooth, but the one with Godbold still needs work. They did a good job slowing down Ido who hit negative.

UCLA:

Rowan is only a freshman, but he's setting as if he's a veteran making the right adjustments and distributing the ball well. With the same height as Christenson he will likely be a key developmental piece for the NT. He already has MVP, Best Setter, and Best Server at last years U21 Pan American Cup. McHenry highlights (3:24, 5:02, 6:50, 7:14, 9:24, 9:40, 12:40, 15:34, 19:03). He's like a gazelle when he jumps. :super:

• Do You know profile on twitter where are short videos from matches, best actions?

I know offtheblock but there are no video...

• Do You know profile on twitter where are short videos from matches, best actions?

I know offtheblock but there are no video...

I don't use twitter, but there are some Instagram accounts that post that kind of content. If I find them I'll send them your way.