Brazil Women's NT 2023

• I like the idea of using Julia B as a receiving opposite too!

About the MBs, I would take Lara to the main team. Julia K and Lorena good prospects and I believe in their potential, but I'm not sure if they're ready. I understand that going to the Olympics would be a valuable experience for them and I can see them being very important for the NT in the future, but, at the end of the day, there are only 3 spots. Let's say one of Carol or Diana (assuming she'll be the starter) gets injured or is having an off day in an Olympic semi-final, who would you rather have on the bench? For me, it's 100% Lara.

• I agree 100%, but I'd trust Lara more if she already had any sort of international experience (not considering Pan Games), which Lorena and Kudiess, although not much, already do. I feel like she'd need at least some time with the main squad before grabbing a spot in the Olympic team and I fear it's already way too late for that.

• I agree 100%, but I'd trust Lara more if she already had any sort of international experience (not considering Pan Games), which Lorena and Kudiess, although not much, already do. I feel like she'd need at least some time with the main squad before grabbing a spot in the Olympic team and I fear it's already way too late for that.

I don't think it's necessarily too late. Diana was with the team for only a couple of weeks and Lorena had almost no playing time. Though it wouldn't be unlike Zé to want to stick to his original four.

That's the thing with Lara, I like her a lot, she has that energy we need, especially at decisive moments (hi Carol), but she has almost 0 international experience and at this point I would invest in give Julia K., Lorena and Diana the most time possible on court, especially bcs they are hypothetically fighting for 2 spots thinking about OG. But, Lara can be really useful and show something playing in South American Championship and/or at the Pan Am Games, even at VNL, so we can see how she handle on this scenarios. Jussara and Juju for sure need to be there (Pan).

About Kisy, I would go with her no matter what, her blocking skills are something that we can't throw away, but I don't see her and Lorrayna doing it together, so maybe Kisy and Lorrayna is gonna be fighting for a spot and Lorenne, Tainara and Rosa (?) for another, I really don't know what to think about her (🌹) and I would never sacrifice my perfect group of OH's (Gabi, Julia B., Ana and Gabi Cândido) for her at any time, I hope Zé don't mess this (but he probably will).

• It would be a waste to put AC as opposite though. It is proven she can handle herself in reception. Plus she is a good blocker. The opponent’s Opp will have a harder time against her side of the net.

It's not that I think she's unusable at OH because of her pass or anything like that, I just think she could actually do better than the opposites we have. Right now, I see Rosamaria a little bit ahead of the others because she's the most consistent and is playing in a stronger league. And, you see, I don't dislike Rosa; she's a pretty well-rounded player as far as opposites go, good at defense, has decent attack variation. But she's not a terminal player like Ana is. Having Rosa on court means that Gabi will still probably be carrying all the load during those OOS/end of the set situations, so it's almost like not having a "true" opposite in that sense. Ana might not adapt to being an opposite, we don't know. But I still think it's worth a try. The Julia as receiving Opp experiment could work as well.

I'd also just like to point out that the whole Carol not being good at finals thing is a 2022 development. Before that, she was usually one of Praia's standouts, even if the team didn't end up winning. So I see no reason why this should define her, she can get back to her old self. I don't like Novara as a team, but leaving Praia could actually be good for her. It's very clear that all of Praia's players are having some sort of mental block during those big matches.

• It would be a waste to put AC as opposite though. It is proven she can handle herself in reception. Plus she is a good blocker. The opponent’s Opp will have a harder time against her side of the net.

I wouldn't call it 'she proved herself at reception' she only had one good game recently against a good team and even then her reception was similar to Arina's. Since she didn't suck at reception once, people take it as if she was amazing at it. Let's see how she will play in return match against Conegliano.

To me, Julia Bergmann is still a better fit next to Gabi as starter.

• I wouldn't call it 'she proved herself at reception' she only had one good game recently against a good team and even then her reception was similar to Arina's. Since she didn't suck at reception once, people take it as if she was amazing at it. Let's see how she will play in return match against Conegliano.

To me, Julia Bergmann is still a better fit next to Gabi as starter.

Based on my observation, from the start of the season up to now, AC has been solid in reception. She is not phenomenal in it like Gabi but she can handle herself. Its not entirely based on this singular game.

• maybe this lineup in the preliminary VNL?

AC/Taynara, Julia B

Kenya/Roberta

Kisy/Lorrayna

Julia K/Diana, Carol

Hopefully Ze gives Gabi, Macris, Rosa a rest in Week 1.

• I'd love to see Gabi Cândido too ;( She could be so good. Regardless of how she did with the NT last year, there's no way we have to keep relying on Daroit. Gabi, Julia, Ana and Cândido could be a great pool of OHs for the next idk 6 years.

As for the OPPs, Tainara just plain sucks. Her spiking % is trash. Kisy can be super off but she's having a much better season. I have my opinions on Rosa and Edinara and I'll just keep quiet on those lol

MBs for me are a no-brainer. Carol, Lorena, Diana and Kudiess. Jussara, Juju, Lara and whoever else for the Pan Games. Done.

I love that Brazil has a lot of great upcoming MBs for the next 10 years.

Also, I'm excited to see Helena Wenk join the NT in the future.

• So can we all agree that Kisy should get the NT spot over Tainara? With Gabi and Ana on court, she could be set mostly in system and let the OHs handle the OOS plays. Sure, it's not ideal, but it'll have to do. I can't remember the last time Tainara played well for a whole match. She usually has one set where she's okay, and then she starts to hit every ball either miles out or straight into the block.

Plus, Kisy might be the best blocking opposite in the world, which should count for something.

• So can we all agree that Kisy should get the NT spot over Tainara? With Gabi and Ana on court, she could be set mostly in system and let the OHs handle the OOS plays. Sure, it's not ideal, but it'll have to do. I can't remember the last time Tainara played well for a whole match. She usually has one set where she's okay, and then she starts to hit every ball either miles out or straight into the block.

Plus, Kisy might be the best blocking opposite in the world, which should count for something.

Kisy, Lorrayna, Rosamaria até the better options imo. Edinara should have a chance either

Yes, yes, yes. Tainara simply ain't it. Lorrayna too. Kisy is the best out of all of them and imo she has the most potential to grow further as she gets even more playing time over the years (she's only been a starter for one and a half season in Minas...)

• I had high hopes for Lorrayna in Italy, but she's benched probably every other match and the last time I checked her efficiency was the lowest among the starting opposites in the league. Rosa and Kisy would be my duo.

• may have Gabi, Carol and Macris rest Week 1? Julia B, Ana, Kisy, Julia K, Lorena and Kenya as the starters? Bring in Lorrayna, Tainara and Edinara as the backup OH and OP players.

• may have Gabi, Carol and Macris rest Week 1? Julia B, Ana, Kisy, Julia K, Lorena and Kenya as the starters? Bring in Lorrayna, Tainara and Edinara as the backup OH and OP players.

To be honest, I can't see Kenya being a starter for the NT considering she's not a starter for her own team. If Roberta isn't there (and she probably will be), Naiane, Giovana, Carol Leite and even Juma are ahead of her at the moment IMO. Though I can Kenya making the Pan roster because she's young and tall.

Unfortunately, it seems like Zé won't be giving any rest to the older players anyway. He's said in interviews that he must play every match with his A team because every set counts for the ranking (even though I'm sure he knows that Brazil is not really at risk of not qualifying for the Olympics because of the one team per continent rule).

Personally, I wouldn't even take Gabi, Carol, Macris and Rosamaria to the South American Championship, and would also keep them on the bench for the easier VNL matches. I'd much rather drop a set to Argentina or Croatia than risk getting one of our key players injured. But Zé knows best, I guess.

To be honest, I can't see Kenya being a starter for the NT considering she's not a starter for her own team. If Roberta isn't there (and she probably will be), Naiane, Giovana, Carol Leite and even Juma are ahead of her at the moment IMO. Though I can Kenya making the Pan roster because she's young and tall.

Unfortunately, it seems like Zé won't be giving any rest to the older players anyway. He's said in interviews that he must play every match with his A team because every set counts for the ranking (even though I'm sure he knows that Brazil is not really at risk of not qualifying for the Olympics because of the one team per continent rule).

Personally, I wouldn't even take Gabi, Carol, Macris and Rosamaria to the South American Championship, and would also keep them on the bench for the easier VNL matches. I'd much rather drop a set to Argentina or Croatia than risk getting one of our key players injured. But Zé knows best, I guess.

fffff. You have right. Most of all I am worrying about Gabi. She didn't have time to rest at all in this season. She come from a very "big" summer and despite that she is playing all the time. She is not a machine. She needs rest. Maybe the half VNL. Maybe more.

• This year the calendar is more pathetic than the usual.

Players from Minas and Praia will play the South American Club Championship between 10-14 May, right after the end of SL, if both get to the final.

Brazil first game at VNL is in May 31, so they might leave a week before, that gives less than 2 weeks of rest and preparation for the girls, so I think that this specifical group of players might not go to Japan. Nyeme, Kisy, Daroit, Julia Kudiess, Carol and Tainara. There's also Champions League final, so Macris and Ana or Gabi may not be avaiable.

But we all know Zé, if he is willing to play with the starting 6 at the very first game, them he will do, no matter what.

But, If this is not possible, then I think we could see something like:

Roberta/Naiane

Lorenne/Lorrayna

Julia Bergmann, Rosamaria, Gabi Cândido, Maira

Diana, Lorena, Lara (wishful thinking¹) Jussara (wishful thinking²)

Natinha/Lais