Germany NT 2023

• On Saturday the team will play an official friendly match against Ukraine in Berlin, and as usual there is zero information :down: A press release from Potsdam says Emonts and Cekulaev have joined NT right after the end of championship and will be in the roster for the match, but I hope Heynen will keep his word that all players will get some rest after the club season.

• Press release from DVV now says that Cekulaev, Orthmann and Schölzel will join the team on Monday as last players, and some players are missing due to injury but there is no further info :roll:

The match vs Ukraine tomorrow might be streamed on DVV's Youtube but it's not sure...

• On May 20th the German national team played their first test match of the year and they met Ukraine. During the friendly game, 1600 euros in donations for the Ukrainian national team could be collected. The game always went the full distance as Ukraine secured the first two sets by 20:25 and 21:25 and the German team secured the third and fourth sets by 25:20 and 25:15. In the tie-break, the German team had to admit defeat by 8:15. In front of around 830 fans, Oleksandra Milenko on the Ukrainian side and Lena Stigrot on the German side were named MVP. The game was also attended by the Ukrainian Ambassador Oleksiy Makeyev.

According to the DVV report Frauen Nationalmannschaft verliert Länderspiel gegen Ukraine, the following players were used:

• Pia Kästner
    • Lena Stigrot
    • Antonia Stautz
    • Camilla Weitzel
    • Monique Strubbe
    • Rica Maase
    • Anni Cesar
    • Corinna Glaab
    • Lina Alsmeier
    • Vanessa Agbortabi
    • Luisa van Clewe
    • Anna Pogany
  • Unfortunately I'm not very surprised. Professional sports requires a lot of commitment and sacrifice, and with the changing values in society, many young people aren't willing to put sports above everything else for the whole year. So many talented young players have retired early or quit NT in the last years, it's really sad :( I can understand their point of view, but it's definitely not good for volleyball and I have the impression that this does not happen that often in other countries as in Germany. On the top of my head I can name Janiska, Lippmann, Kemmsies, Imoudu, Silge, Cyris, Dreblow, Leweling (and I probably forgot some names) who quit professional (indoor) volleyball or at least NT quite early, Weitzel also almost quit when she was just 18 or so but after some time off she found her passion again luckily.

• I can understand their point of view, but it's definitely not good for volleyball and I have the impression that this does not happen that often in other countries as in Germany.

This is also happening more and more frequently in women's handball in Germany. Especially in sports with little public recognition, this seems to be the case more and more often, especially in Germany.

• I have feeling that in Germany, they can live quite normally with nice salaries and to be close your family and friends with regular job. Because Germany is rich with great stability….

• I have feeling that in Germany, they can live quite normally with nice salaries and to be close your family and friends with regular job. Because Germany is rich with great stability….

In Germany there is also much less national pride than in Italy, for example. This is still the legacy of Adolf Hitler. When the Italians sing their anthem, you get goosebumps. You realize that they really want to play for their country. In Germany you often have the feeling that players are forced to play for the national team. That's the same in other sports.

• But Germany is very good in other sports. They are in top10 medal table each Olympics so?
    Such situation (with retirements) look different in men’s team so could be that women’s team is suffering because of some bad managing.

• But Germany is very good in other sports. They are in top10 medal table each Olympics so?
    Such situation (with retirements) look different in men’s team so could be that women’s team is suffering because of some bad managing.

Germany is of course a very large country. And among 83 million inhabitants there are a few talents. But the results at the Olympic Games are viewed very critically in Germany. You actually expect a lot more in Germany.

Germany benefited from the GDR for a very long time in sports. But that's over too.

• Germany is of course a very large country. And among 83 million inhabitants there are a few talents. But the results at the Olympic Games are viewed very critically in Germany. You actually expect a lot more in Germany.

Germany benefited from the GDR for a very long time in sports. But that's over too.

Of course, I live a bit more on the east so you may know better. From my pov Germany is good in many sports and always formidable opponent.

• Of course, I live a bit more on the east so you may know better. From my pov Germany is good in many sports and always formidable opponent.

It really isn't all bad either.

But it's just a shame when young talented players lose interest. Especially in sports like volleyball, where there are not many good players (in Germany)

• In Germany you often have the feeling that players are forced to play for the national team.

I cannot remember ever having that impression from any German player.

I think almost everyone wants to play for the national team, the problem is that there are no breaks if you play the club season and all international tournaments. That's a lot of games and you get no money for playing in the NT. If you play in Bundesliga your salary is already quite low compared to what you earn outside volleyball.

• I cannot remember ever having that impression from any German player.

I think almost everyone wants to play for the national team, the problem is that there are no breaks if you play the club season and all international tournaments. That's a lot of games and you get no money for playing in the NT. If you play in Bundesliga your salary is already quite low compared to what you earn outside volleyball.

That is also my personal impression. Maybe I'm wrong.

The games of the national team have not been broadcast on TV for a while. There's just a lack of motivation. And after a long season, I probably wouldn't feel like going to the national team either. I would rather spend time with friends or go on vacation.

And in my opinion nobody needs the National League. But that is another issue

• I saw Ivana Vanjak in some Insta stories of the team's media day (photo shooting), so I guess she'll join the team later in summer once she has fully recovered from her injury.

Given the trouble at OPP position I wonder if Heynen considers Lena Große Scharmann, IMO she's closer to international level than Rica Maase and just one year older.

• Team for week 1 of VNL:

S: Pia Kästner, Corinna Glaab

OH/OPP: Hannah Orthmann, Lena Stigrot, Antonia Stautz, Vanessa Agbortabi, Lina Alsmeier, Rica Maase

MB: Anastasia Cekulaev, Marie Schölzel, Monique Strubbe, Camilla Weitzel

L: Anna Pogany, Annie Cesar

Was Lara Berger with the team during the preparations? I never saw her on any photos...

• Was Lara Berger with the team during the preparations? I never saw her on any photos...

I think I saw her somewhere in the background but I can't find it right now :/ Anyway, she had shoulder problems towards the end of the season in Dresden, so I guess she is one of the injured players Heynen mentioned.

Saddest thing about the roster: except for Emonts and maybe Straube, this is the best we can do right now :white: