Italy - Serie A1 2023/24

• Then how ecza take part the last season or 2019 ?:gone::gone::gone::gone:

Last season as a host, but it was Fener who got offered and refused to play so only then Ecza was invited.

I understand that realistically it would be more interested if we had more clubs from Europe, and in this case Italian clubs.

There was a rule that last years champion is guaranteed a spot, but it’s not in place for years now.

It’s just how it is this year, 2 best European clubs were Vakif and Ecza. We need to take into account that it’s World club championship, so everyone needs to be somewhat represented regardless of their level.

Could it be that Imoco could get wild card invitation or invitation for being last year champion? SURE. That would make it more interesting absolutely.. but that’s just how it is this year.

Starting from next year there will be 8 clubs (I’ve already talked about it) and in addition to 1 African club there will be one more spot that is basically guaranteed for European club, and +1 for host that is again likely to be European club.

Now that we’ve got that in order can we please give this thread back to Italian league? ^^

• who wanted to go?

Teams which could afford to pay $100,000 for wild card, and additional money for the whole trip.

It's really expensive and exhausting tournament for particapting teams.

Look on men's tournament, polish teams decided to not particapte in this, as it costs a lot of money and doesn't add commercial value to the team.

Edit: One more thing. It's not like there were 20 teams waiting for 2 or 1 wild card. In previous years, they had a problem to find 8 teams wanting to particapte in this. I remember that for 2017 edition they were asking different polish teams to apply for wild card, even Dąbrowa Górnicza which was mid-level team in the league

• In 2021 still 2 wildcards guess who wanted to go?

Actually, there was no wild card at that time but Chinese teams and Covid change the situations. The tournament was normally going to be held in China, but Chinese teams gave up hosting the tournament. It was hosted by the Turkish volleyball federation. Since Vakıfbank had already took the ticket through CL, TVF gave the host ticket to Fenerbahçe. Fenerbahçe finished 2nd in the Sultanlar Ligi that year. If Eczacıbaşı had finished 2nd, they would have given the ticket to the Eczacıbası.

• mio ı guess you looked wikipedia and think there were 2 wild cards in 2021 but no. Minas has no wild card, they played in this tournament thanks to south american championship.

https://en.volleyballworld.com…-win-south-american-title

so it is like;

Minas, Praia: south american championship finalists

Vakıfbank, İmoco : Cev CL finalists

Altay: Asian Championship winner

Fenerbahçe: host

• Italian teams care about their budjet and won't waste it on this tournament, like polish teams in men's volleyball. That's it. Sir Safety Perugia is the only exception. Turkish teams have way bigger budjet and can afford even paying for a wild card when needed. That's the reason why they have been there more than the italians. About next edition, the best teams from last CL are there, so I don't see the problem.

• Why are you guys crying that Italian teams are not there? They simply failed to qualify to this tournament. Simple as that! If you want to see Conegliano to play in this tournament next year, pray that this time they could make it to finals:roll: we have CL for best EURO teams. This is WORLD club championship. As long as best teams of European continent last year is in this competition, what's the problem?😏

• I'll bring it back on topic for ya!

Is there any chance Buijs can be fit again this weekend vs Milano? They would need a taller block than Bosetti/Szakmary to stop Egonu I'm afraid, and also I'm curious how Anne will hold up vs. a top team :super: otherwise we'll have to wait for giornata 10 and 11:box:

• Novara for now looks flawless, they surprised me the most this season. They look like real team with leader Vakimova

But this is going to be real test for them. Even tie break against Milano would be really nice signed for them.

The most interesting match this round for sure.
    Novara is leading with points but Conegliano is missing one match.

• I'll bring it back on topic for ya!

Is there any chance Buijs can be fit again this weekend vs Milano? They would need a taller block than Bosetti/Szakmary to stop Egonu I'm afraid, and also I'm curious how Anne will hold up vs. a top team :super: otherwise we'll have to wait for giornata 10 and 11:box:

I don't remember where exactly but i read a few days ago that she should be out for around three weeks

• I am more interested in the matchup between Orro and Bosio :lol: I like Bosio more but Egonu will eat her alive with her block reach.

Bosio won’t be blocking Egonu tho

• Yesterday's matches were quite messy. Trento walked away with the win at the tie-break against Cuneo, but both teams gifted the opponent a set and the coaches were quite bungling when it came to substitutions. I still don't know why Bellano didn't play Kubik more, on the other hand Sinibaldi was lucky to get jack on Angelina.

Same result in Treviglio, where Chieri survived Bergamo scoring an impressive 9-1 run in the tie-break but overall playing a very low standard match. Apart from Spirito and Gray, the whole team struggled a lot. On the other hand, Bergamo has to fix the proneness to mistakes, because they literally threw the match away. Watch out for Solforati too, he may be the first sacking of the season.