Korean Women's NT 2023

• Frankly, she was a good player and the Olympic 4th standing was only possible due to her coming in clutch (16 points) and not KYK alone, and the other players lacks the height that she has

Yes, she was good. But a player can't rest on their previous laurels. I really liked her before, but these past 2 years have been a series of bad performances from her.

N Korea is the mystery team here, no one here has seen them last 4,5 years but they appeared to be strongish against India. However they lost to China rather easily, according to the scores.. their matches at the Deqing Sports centre weren't streamed :(

Win or lose against S Korea, I hope the match takes place in a friendly atmosphere :)

North Korea has some good players, they had a player who scored 30 points (Hyonju Kim) during the India match, I think.

Unfortunately, a friendly atmosphere may happen in the court, but once the news reaches South Korea that they lost to them, they will receive a lot of hate (they already get a lot of hate losing to Vietnam). It's also gonna be a whole new low for them given North Korea isn't really a threat before. South and North Korea are simply too different countries now that even reunification is becoming less and less a thing for the younger generation. It's like being relatives with someone you dislike - a weird mix of bitterness and familial connection still intact.

Also, North Korea will be extra motivated. Winning against South Korea will probably a good propaganda piece for them - sometimes their dictator gives special prize for that.

• Unfortunately, a friendly atmosphere may happen in the court, but once the news reaches South Korea that they lost to them, they will receive a lot of hate (they already get a lot of hate losing to Vietnam). It's also gonna be a whole new low for them given North Korea isn't really a threat before. South and North Korea are simply too different countries now that even reunification is becoming less and less a thing for the younger generation. It's like being relatives with someone you dislike - a weird mix of bitterness and familial connection still intact.

Personally would not mind if SK loses to NK because SK really needs a wake up call, and this is exactly what would be necessary to embarrass them enough to do so

I don't mean the players but rather the leadership

Their Federation has not made any changes to both male & female volleyball nor in their leadership since the past 2 years of failure, both male and female teams has had their worst showing at the Asian Games

Their leadership needs to change, starting from the Federation to the coaches (they need to stop using a useless foreign coach as an excuse/scapegoat)

If they don't wish to call back their retired players or LJY/LDY, then at the very least they should change the coach and start rebuilding from the younger players instead of bringing along someone like Park Jeongah who is being a deadweight on the NT

• So we've won our second to the last NT match for the year, with Team Korea winning against Kazakhstan!

I was fully expecting to lose to Kazakhstan given their last match, but it was a nice surprise.

Now that this is the last match, oof we still have match with Chinese Taipei... Ceasar is finally out, and most definitely Park Jeong Ah after this. Now to the club season starting next week :super:

• So ... Cesar is out?

The current coach of the South Korean men's national team, Im Do Hong, will finish his term of office after the Hangzhou Asian Games, and the two sides have agreed to terminate his contract with Cesar Hernandez Gonzalez, the coach of the women's national team, as it is now virtually impossible for the team to compete in the 2024 Paris Olympics.

source

• So ... Cesar is out?

source

He's out and used as the scapegoat as to why Korea team did not qualify for Olympics as expected (source)

But it's also true he's not a good coach either, if he were Korea wouldn't have lost two 2-0 leads against Vietnam

Someone from the "Performance Improvement Committee" in the Federation did resign but I really wonder if that person even played a key role (source)

No key personnel nor leadership from the Federation resigned or changed cause of this, everyone is looking at Oh Han-nam for the lack of work he's done throughout all this

They said they're holding a public hearing with media, sports fans, etc in November but I wonder how helpful it'll be or if its as open to all as they claim

• Unless and until Korea can have a setter who can adapt to the style of volleyball Europe plays... or you have an extremely solid receive line throughout (impossible lol)

Let's just stick to a domestic Korean coach instead of a foreign coach like when Lavarini was around

• Unless and until Korea can have a setter who can adapt to the style of volleyball Europe plays... or you have an extremely solid receive line throughout (impossible lol)

Let's just stick to a domestic Korean coach instead of a foreign coach like when Lavarini was around

Well, I'm OK with that as well. Maybe Park Mihee or Lee Do Hee, some may like Hochul (not me though).

A lot of Korean comments I see want Lee Jungchul back but... IDK.

• A lot of Korean comments I see want Lee Jungchul back but... IDK.

Cause the team needs a wake up call from someone like Lee Jungchul who will drill it in them to train their basics, not a kind coach like Lee Dohee

Lee Dohee would be a good assistant coach to coach the setter specifically (definitely not a first time coach like Han Yumi - how she even got the job is suspicious)

• Abbondanza lol

If allowed in SK coaching both NT and club, like Turkey, I think he can be considered... He's already Pink Spider coach, He can adapted faster with the players...

• Started a 2024 NT thread:

Korean Women's NT 2024