Rivalries between teams

• Which are the rivalries that makes a match tense and always unpredictable? But especially it makes that match very exiting.

Cuba vs Brazil
    This rivalry hasn't finished yet. We saw it also at Pan American Games in Rio when Cuba won in the 5th set. Brazilian public booing and Cuban players provoking. I don't know when it started but at 1996 Olympics the yellow card was given to Mireya Luis and Carvajal but also to Brazilian players (I don't remember the name right now). Historical the scene with Ana Moser yelling respect with her finger against the Cubans and the chasing scene. Also at the 96 GP the FIVB suspended some players from both teams. The rivalry continues to this day and a lot of matches in this period finished 3-2 for both teams, even if one of the two were stronger in a particular period. Be prepared to see an exiting, long and unpredictable match between those two teams.

Cuba vs Italy
    I don't know why this has started, but I could remember a lot of episodes. At 2004 Olympics Barros yelled against Piccinini receiving a yellow card. Or Ramirez hitting Piccinini in the head with a spike yelling at her instead of apologyzing. Or Carillo staring with menace after blocking Togut. Than an argument between Bonitta and Ruiz in the press conference. The Italians also yell against Cubans. The most active are Rinieri, Piccinini and Anzanello. The matches between these two teams have been from 2003 until now always unpredictable, because both teams have fought. The win/lose has been also very equal in those years, so it makes all more interesting.

Italy vs Netherlands
    This has started in the 90s between the men NTs, but interestingly it expanded to women too.
    It's not a hating relationship. No yelling and no offences, but just tough fighting. The matches have been always unpredictable from the 90s until now. Even when one of the teams was stronger in a particular period you could not tell who was going to win. A lot of matches finished 3-2 for one team or the other.

Brazil vs Russia
    I don't remember if it started before, but I think it is a heritage from the 2004 Olympics when Russia beat Brazil in the semifinal. After that Brazilian fans are against Russia, especially against Gamova. But Russian fans don't have nice words to Brazil too. Just go to some forums dedicated to Russia or Russian players to see the "nice" words against Brazil. The rivalry exist also between players. Just remember the scene between Fabiana and Merkulova at the 2006 WCH, when Merkulova yelled too Fabiana and the former was very angry. Then we saw a provokating Gamova staying and smiling against an angry Fabiana helped by Sassa and Fabi. The latest accident happened in Ningbo when Alimova received a yellow card, probably because she was yelling too much.

Turkey vs Serbia
    I don't know why but I have the impression there is a rivalry between those two teams. If someone can confirm that? I could remember an angry Demir against Spasojevic at WCH. Anja was explaining that in an interview, that Demir was staring her with an odd look. Some months before at the Varna GP qualifications I remember a fight too. I think it involved a Turkish MB and a Serbian spiker. I have to check.

Do you remember other rivalries or other scenes involving the rivalries listed here? Maybe Poland vs Russia??? China vs Japan???

• Btw, Brazilian and Cuban players were suspended after their fight got physical... About against Russia, it's from the OG, but I'm not sure.

And other that is not listed is Germany x Netherlands...

• I didn't know between Germany and Netherlands. Are they yelling against each other or just playing 120% against each other? Do you know some episode that happened between them?

• Quote from "samba player"

I didn't know between Germany and Netherlands. Are they yelling against each other or just playing 120% against each other? Do you know some episode that happened between them?

When they aired the game GERxNED here, they said that Germany and Netherlands have the same rivality as Brazil and Argentina on football. I think a German or a Dutch should talk more about it :wink2:
    But if I was to talk about that game... well, they played 200% against each other 8)

• Poland-Germany?? I have never seen rivalries between these 2 teams :roll: but maybe thats because I didn't see many matches between pol and ger lol
    Poland-Russia yes, but I think that more in men's volleyball and not because of WW II.

• hmm about ger vs. ned...
    i dont think that this rivalry exsists in volleyball... in soccer/football of course, but i didnt notice it in volleyball matches for sure.

i think there is now a rivalry between poland and japan after japan treated the polish team pretty unfair at the GP this year

• The Ger-Ned rivalry also exists in volleyball. There's no hostilaty at all between players, many Dutch players also played in German league, but both teams are extra motivated when they play against each other (bronze match ECH03, 2nd round match WCH06...)

I don't know when it started but at 1996 Olympics the yellow card was given to Mireya Luis and Carvajal but also to Brazilian players (I don't remember the name right now).

It was actually Bernardinho who got the yellow card :lol: He was arguing heatedly with the 2nd referee (?) and started yelling the F word at him! :shock:

Do you remember other rivalries or other scenes involving the rivalries listed here? Maybe Poland vs Russia??? China vs Japan???

i will definitely say netherlands and germany, germany last year won many matches vs holland but lost to holland in WCH and this year
    ---hey, netherland got qualified for GP AND won a title, :wink2:

as for china and japan, i'm afraid there is not so strong---and the most intense moment was in the Asian game last year when japan with their excellent reception and defense, almost dragged china into the 5th set

• Quote from "bobaas"

Poland vs Germany
    Matches against this team are usually very close. But there are not any non-sport situation. I think that this is because our history (World War II). The same with Russia.

Poland-germany !Please ...
    Did you remember the scandalous match between Germany and poland at Grand prix elimination ?

• Quote from "scarpetta"

Poland-germany !Please ...
    Did you remember the scandalous match between Germany and poland at Grand prix elimination ?

what happened there?
    between Poland and Germany can this way be but not in the volleyball.
    most Poland competes with Russia in not only a volleyball, always some implied meanings will be and needs to prove something.

• Quote from "Youstyna"

what happened there?
    between Poland and Germany can this way be but not in the volleyball.
    most Poland competes with Russia in not only a volleyball, always some implied meanings will be and needs to prove something.

Germany was the strong favourite of the match but only 3-1 victory for Poland would secure both teams place at the grand prix. Grun,the best player of the tournament until that match , didn't play because of diarrhea! but somehow was very active at the bench . Germany took the first set then it was all polish girls.
    Turkish fans turn their back to players during the match.After this match Andre Meyer changed the grand prix elimination format

• Also the last match between Serbia-Turkey = 2-3 was really exciting! Yellow cards, a lot of shouting in the face of players, big determination from both teams...
    Question to turkish and serbian fans, why exists this rivalry???

• Maybe because of religion?
    this has been happening in Serbia for a long time already...
    between muslims and christians
    correct me if I am wrong
    or maybe because they are around the same area and competition is fierce in Europe

• Quote from "Brian"

Maybe because of religion?
    this has been happening in Serbia for a long time already...
    between muslims and christians
    correct me if I am wrong

Serbia has been under Turkish domination for centuries between 1540 and 1800. So it's more complicated than only a christians - muslims problem.

• I don't think it has much to do with religion or history. Generally those things are less important in women's sports, and besides, Serbia and Turkey get along reasonably well now. After all, Djerisilo and Citakovic played in Eczacibasi last season and the fans loved them.

I think there are two possible reasons for this rivalry:

1) In youth team volleyball we have these Balkan championships and since Serbia and Turkey are by far the best teams on Balkan, they meet each other in the finals all the time. Naturally, a rivalry is born that way and perhaps some of it also extends to senior competition.

2) This might be even more important: at the GP qualies last year Turkey and Serbia met in the 3rd match of the group stage. Turkey needed a win to go through, while Serbia was out and couldn't qualify no matter what. Despite that the Serbs fought like crazy (they were on a really bad losing streak, having lost all the friendly games that summer and the previous two matches at the GP qualies, and needed a win to reassure themselves), and eventually beat Turkey thus eliminating them from GP. Apparently the Turkish players were pretty bitter after that.

And who knows, there may be something personal between the players that we're not aware of.