2023 Asian Women’s Volleyball Championship (30 August - 6 September, 2023)

• Communication breaks down between Iranian players when the ball is in out-of-system. It’s like they don’t know what to do when the ball isn’t exactly where they want it to be. Their blocking and OHs are quite reliable though.

• Iran ended up winning 3-2 in a close tiebreak. PH has many volleyball fans so I feel sad for them, they need someone else as head of the federation and maybe a deep cleaning, this is weird. Hope Iran rises further, they seem rocky as well.

Where can I find stats for this tourney?

• Iran ended up winning 3-2 in a close tiebreak. PH has many volleyball fans so I feel sad for them, they need someone else as head of the federation and maybe a deep cleaning, this is weird. Hope Iran rises further, they seem rocky as well.

Where can I find stats for this tourney?

:( the situation with the PH federation.

Stats are available in the ACV website under ‘bulletin’ several hours after the match has ended, sometimes earlier.

• CHN vs. IND

SET #3, at 14-8 two subs come on court, Miao Yiwen (OP) and Yu Jiarui, the sub setter... several points earlier Liu Yu (MB) came in to sub Yang Hanyu. At the next point, 15-8, Wang Wenhan comes in. At 18-9 Wang Yizhu comes in to sub Wu Mengjie. Later also saw Duan Fang on court, subbed Zhong Hui, but unclear when it's done, perhaps came on court along with Wang Yizhu 😂

By this time, which is quite late in the game, the team is playing the different squad comprising of all sub players except the same libero, Xi Jianan. The setter, Yu Jiarui, at least accounted three points from attacking opponent's bad receptions... it tells the quality of the match. Indeed IND does not deserve to play in the Last Eight stage, there are few better teams for the better representation here. No hard feeling against IND squad, but just telling out the reality.

I wish we can get live streaming of this quality..... I could even see some small dots on Miao Yiwen’s face, and a tiny hair sticking out of someone’s nostrils =O

Speaking of Miao, wasn’t she
    your favourite before... :lol:
  • I wish we can get live streaming of this quality..... I could even see some small dots on Miao Yiwen’s face, and a tiny hair sticking out of someone’s nostrils =O

Speaking of Miao, wasn’t she
    your favourite before... :lol:

Ha ha ha, I wish we can watch SF live broadcast with this quality 😁

"favourite" in the sense that back then I felt I just spotted some new, unknown player with some charm (that no one mentioned before) from Sichuan, which is not a strong volleyball region unlike the Dongbei and Eastern coastal region, who possibly had some potential to grow further, although not blessed with extraordinary talent (unlike Li Yingying when I first posted an article about her many years when still in the youth team, not yet listed in the NT training camp). Just that 😁 just good to know about Miao! Frankly I thought she would never make it into the NT be it the second team, that she would only play at the club or provincial level, also Sichuan team is not a strong one, but then after watching VB again, saw her name in the 2023 VNL roster, Universiade squad and so on. She's growing to some extent after the ordeal with some injury. Look forward to seeing Miao developing to compete with Zhou Yetong and Zheng Yixin to a dependable and effective OP to support or even exceed Gong! 😁

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• This is what I just watched. So sad for team PHI. ;(

I thought the IND team is bad after watching the team playing against CHN, but they made it into the Last Eight beating IRI 3-1 thus the squad is stronger. But now seeing your post on IRI beating PHI 3-1, OMG, this PHI squad is even worse 😂 PHI squad is regressing.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• OMG, this PHI squad is even worse 😂 PHI squad is regressing.

College/young players ride the momentum. They had a good time at SEAVleague, but the wow and surprise factor wore off. They need leaders — veteran players to get them up and going after long rallies and tough losses. They need a coach who can connect and build trust with the team. This is what Vietnam went through a few years ago when legendary players retired and young players (4T’s generation) weren’t quite ready for big tournaments. PHIL don’t lack good players, but everything they’ve done so far seems so transactional and short-sighted.

• College/young players ride the momentum. They had a good time at SEAVleague, but the wow and surprise factor wore off. They need leaders — veteran players to get them up and going after long rallies and tough losses. They need a coach who can connect and build trust with the team. This is what Vietnam went through a few years ago when legendary players retired and young players (4T’s generation) weren’t quite ready for big tournaments. PHIL don’t lack good players, but everything they’ve done so far seems so transactional and short-sighted.

The problem also with a squad just coming from the same college team is there isn't much depth, compared to a "real" National Team who should be like All Star composition from the best college/club teams. The drop in skill and experience level from the starters and bench might be huge. It is what it is though, I'm not blaming the girls since a good program doesn't really exist. We'll just wait and see how it goes in the future, and hope for the best :lol:

• vietnam win many points tofay and move to top 30 I think for first time ever :drink:

If they can upset a giant...they can get more points

go go vietnam.....to WCH 2025

• The problem also with a squad just coming from the same college team is there isn't much depth, compared to a "real" National Team who should be like All Star composition from the best college/club teams. The drop in skill and experience level from the starters and bench might be huge. It is what it is though, I'm not blaming the girls since a good program doesn't really exist. We'll just wait and see how it goes in the future, and hope for the best :lol:

Its so problematic that the last tournaments they had joined, its pretty much composed of different clubs with some reinforcement with almost little to no overlap in players. The AVC Cup (one club with no reinforcement- which has the best pins/club in our country but the second stringers can be replaced), the AVC Challenger Cup (6 from One team + Reinforcement, composed mostly of lower ranked team players), SEA VLeague and AVC Championship (One College team + 2 reinforcement) and SEA Games (the only real 'National Team' that joined in the last few tournament - has 6 AVC Cup players and no other overlap). They even made the 2021 SEA Games team with setters that never played a full game in our pro league. Its not a good few years in our Federation after they reinstated the guy they had removed for stealing funds lol.

• vietnam win many points tofay and move to top 30 I think for first time ever :drink:

If they can upset a giant...they can get more points

go go vietnam.....to WCH 2025

Vietnam’s historic high is 32nd, I think, then they stayed around 35rd place for a while. But I don’t know how to verify this.

Regarding WCH 2025 hosting, I hope Vietnam gets selected as a cohost along with Thailand — we can’t host the entire tournament due to lack of facilities.

• Vietnam’s historic high is 32nd, I think, then they stayed around 35rd place for a while. But I don’t know how to verify this.

Regarding WCH 2025 hosting, I hope Vietnam gets selected as a cohost along with Thailand — we can’t host the entire tournament due to lack of facilities.

I tought philippines was biding and after their vnl legs and fivb support imo they are alrrady guaranteed...but they are co-hosting so let's see who is the other team

• I tought philippines was biding and after their vnl legs and fivb support imo they are alrrady guaranteed...but they are co-hosting so let's see who is the other team

PHIL has a strong case, but Thailand is very ambitious and seems to have increasingly stronger influence over FIVB. Thailand is currently the #1 candidate imo and I think they won’t let another team cohost if they can help it. In the case of cohosting, PHIL has a better chance compared to other countries, but I’m not sure if FIVB considers world ranking since hosts since the 1990s have always been top 10 or 15 teams in world ranking. Regardless, I hope at least one SEA country will be selected :drink: