Germany NT 2024

• It All had started with Lippmann’s departure.. I think if she would have stayed with the team, Germany could play in Paris

• The only thing in Waibl’s head is “I need to call both timeouts before the middle of each set”. When the team is in trouble, he looks lost.

Missing Orthmann means less attacking power, but that doesn’t mean you don’t know how to train, how to plan match, how to substitute players. He is worse than Heynen in every aspect!!!

• Waibl is not the one to blame when we're stuck with Stigrot as OH and not having any serious alternative. Yes the team looks messy sometimes but for me this is more due to the individual players' weaknesses than bad coaching, I don't think any other coach would do better with this set of players.

Besides that, Waibl certainly is much better than Heynen in the character aspect :whistle:

• The rumor that Heynen wanted to leave circled for months. At the beginning it was Iran, then China. He went to the interview for Chinese men’s NT in March. So DVV had no clue at all?

Heynen’s leaving indeed was not professional and causes issues. Waibl was a hero to take over the position. Thanks to him. But that doesn’t justify Waibl’s insufficient level. The messiness on court reflects the training quality. Losing matches is fine. But with time going, there is no improvement in details.

• Waibl is not the one to blame when we're stuck with Stigrot as OH and not having any serious alternative.

Stigrot as OH is fine. Her attacking in front row is needed. Her weakness is passing. The coach knows it and should have plans to regularly substitute her in back row. For instance, a defensive OH to substitute her for 3 rotations. Moreover, if the backup Libero is in normal jersey, you can make use of it. She can substitute MB, then Stigrot is substituted by Libero. The other aspect is when to use such substitution. Some coaches use it well. I think Waibl should learn. It’s not you have nobody left in the squad to put on the court.

• The rumor that Heynen wanted to leave circled for months. At the beginning it was Iran, then China. He went to the interview for Chinese men’s NT in March. So DVV had no clue at all?

Heynen’s leaving indeed was not professional and causes issues. Waibl was a hero to take over the position. Thanks to him. But that doesn’t justify Waibl’s insufficient level. The messiness on court reflects the training quality. Losing matches is fine. But with time going, there is no improvement in details.

The latest issue of Volleyball Magazin covers the Heynen story and I was surprised to read pretty clear statements of the officials. Remember that Heynen still made statements about the NT in spring, he made the player list for VNL and then one day he called in DVV headquarters to ask for resolution of his contract. They agreed because it wouldn't make sense to have a NT coach who doesn't want to do the job, but apparently Heynen never even said goodbye to the team and never talked to Waibl when it was clear he'd take over. The statements make it pretty clear what a dirtbag he's been and nobody is going to miss him in the long run.

About the team's performance: the problem is that at times they play really well, but then things get messy as hell. Stigrot simply isn't a player for this level with weak reception and amateurish defense, she's been like that for 10 years and won't get any better. Kästner isn't in a good shape at the moment, especially this week it showed that compared to players like Elif, Brie and Wolosz she's far behind. Another problem is that all of our MBs are decent, but none of them is really great. Weitzel is around 1.95 but she blocks like a 1.75 player, I'll never forget the way Wolosz and Fahr bullied her in Chieri-Conegliano match and it's the same against any good opponent.

All of these things Waibl can't change within a few weeks, so I really don't think he is to blame for the team's performance and results. We'll see how they play next year with a different coach and I predict it will be even worse...

• Stigrot as OH is fine. Her attacking in front row is needed. Her weakness is passing. The coach knows it and should have plans to regularly substitute her in back row. For instance, a defensive OH to substitute her for 3 rotations. Moreover, if the backup Libero is in normal jersey, you can make use of it. She can substitute MB, then Stigrot is substituted by Libero. The other aspect is when to use such substitution. Some coaches use it well. I think Waibl should learn. It’s not you have nobody left in the squad to put on the court.

I agree that he should substitute her as much as possible in backrow and I don't understand either why he doesn't, but Stigrot's problems go much further. She has an amazing talent to make dumb mistakes like net touches or amateurish defense errors always in the worst moments, dragging down everyone's mood, and her attacking also is not great, but yeah we don't have anyone better right now and that's the main problem.

• By the way delivering defeats only since the match against France they managed to go down behind Thailand in ranking. And it can happen, that they will lose another one against Belgium.

• Kästner isn't in a good shape at the moment, especially this week it showed that compared to players like Elif, Brie and Wolosz she's far behind. Another problem is that all of our MBs are decent, but none of them is really great. Weitzel is around 1.95 but she blocks like a 1.75 player, I'll never forget the way Wolosz and Fahr bullied her in Chieri-Conegliano match and it's the same against any good opponent.

All of these things Waibl can't change within a few weeks, so I really don't think he is to blame for the team's performance and results. We'll see how they play next year with a different coach and I predict it will be even worse...

I think Kästner’s back issue is affecting her setting. Some of her setting choices are questionable. The only way is that the coach tell her to set the ball to which position at certain moments.

Blocking is difficult to improve. It cannot be improved in a short time. None of the German MBs are good in blocking. But sometimes the on court blocking performance can be dragged better by good service.

As I said, losing or bad performance is fine, is acceptable. But there should have been improvement in details in the last three weeks, like defense positions, communications on court, second touches. It comes from training. Moreover, there are things Waibl can do during the match other than timeouts. But he seems lost when no timeout left.

• Before the last match of second week of VNL situation is as follows: they are regarding bets clear cut favorite against Bulgaria (I am not sure if they will do it anyway meanwhile, they lost a streak of 6 matches now without winning a point), but losing without winning a point against Bulgaria would have really dire consequences: sinking to the bottom of VNL as last of the sixteen teams and losing two places in world ranking to Thailand and Belgium (the latter lead as only undefeated team the league round of Golden European League now). So the pressure to deliver is high for German players.

• I think this is the first informative interview with Hanna 9 months after her injury from a few weeks ago. Also tells something about the poor standing of volleyball in Gerrman media.

Not everything went easy for her during rehab but she`s planning to play the next season in Italy(Novara?)

• I think this is the first informative interview with Hanna 9 months after her injury from a few weeks ago. Also tells something about the poor standing of volleyball in Gerrman media.

Not everything went easy for her during rehab but she`s planning to play the next season in Italy(Novara?)

Yup but She has strong competition for starting role, She will need to put extra work and hardly doubt that She is gone play like She did….

• Yup but She has strong competition for starting role, She will need to put extra work and hardly doubt that She is gone play like She did….

For now she will be happy to get back to regular, pain- and fearfree practice in the first place.

Very obviously such an injury is a career killer in pro volleyball and she might never get back to the level she had arrived at last season. Would be sad with just 25 but let`s hope for the best.