World Cup 2007

• Quote from "Nick"

USA made a great comeback....
    For some time I thought it'll be 3:0 for Brazil, they started so great, so easy (17,16).....but I forgot again.... this is women's volleyball.

Brazil - USA 2:3 (25:17, 25:16, 21:25, 23:25, 9:15). :roll:

I agree with you Nick.. This is a great come back for USA. Congrats to them :)

• I don't believe that brazil lose to usa today. they were play very well in first and second set. but they had a blackout in next set. haneef destroyed the nationakl team, and the brazilian ball not fall in square of usa.

i'm very sad, but i hope that brazil can saty between 3 places, or best in first place hehehehehehe.

now brazil have win to italy and usa lose to italy. I HOPEEEEEEEEEEE.

• This result (USA-BRA) shows clearly that Brasil isn't unbeatable. You just have to trust in your skills, then everything is possible. USA just have done it, which I really appreciate.
    Match between Poland and Kenya looked like a training (because of no audience too). Poland played without Glinka and Podolec, Skowrońska and Dziękiewicz were very shortly in the game. No problems for Poland to beat African team, which is the weakest in this tournament I think. It was a nice intermezzo for our team before next hard games.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• LOL! Brazilian girls chickened out yet AGAIN. Haha. I think they are so overrated. Good team, no doubt, but hardly unbeatable.
    Now I will cheer for the American team to be the champion. It was a good game, I also thought it would be 3x0 - after the two first sets - but the US showed a great comeback power and willpower - that Brazil lacks.
    Now we will have to see how will be the psychological condition of Brazilian players against Italy and Serbia.

• Quote from "Russkii"

LOL! Brazilian girls chickened out yet AGAIN. Haha. I think they are so overrated. Good team, no doubt, but hardly unbeatable.
    Now I will cheer for the American team to be the champion. It was a good game, I also thought it would be 3x0 - after the two first sets - but the US showed a great comeback power and willpower - that Brazil lacks.
    Now we will have to see how will be the psychological condition of Brazilian players against Italy and Serbia.

Well, I think we already discussed that before, LOL...
    But now, people say that Brazil loses to Russia because it's like a "ghost", but it seems that the "ghost" is getting bigger... Until when it will be an excuse? :lol: :lol:
    I wouldn't say this all is just about "women volleyball", it was a 3-2 match but USA deserved to win it, and PLAYED! I think USA technique is a bit under Brazilian's yet (just a bit), but the desire to win, the dedication, is a differential. It always looked like to me that Brazilian players are not humble (and I said it 1000 times and in the 1000 times I was mocked), but while they think to themselves that they are unbeatable, they'll always do the same mistake.
    Before, it was Russia and Cuba they'd lose to, and people would say that they have a problem playing against these two teams, but if it becomes a list, what will be the excuse? That they played bad?
    I often read things like "they lost because they didn't play well", "they lost because it was Russia (or Cuba)", "they lost because player X is bad", but why don't say "Brazil lost because the match because players are not prepared enough?" or "Brazil lost because it has to improve the techniques?"...

Anyway, I hope that USA wins! :love:

• Quote from "LothiePG"

And at least USA (in my opinion) has condition to beat both Brazil and Italy :wink2:

those were the words when ı first saw the result of the match between USA-BRA.
    you were right LothiePG.
    congrats.USA :clap:

• Quote from "Ziuta"

Actually POland still has a chance to be the 3rd in the World Cup and go to IO. I strongly believe that. And I am glad that finally Milena had a nice game today. regards

Of course they have a kind of chance.... They have the hard games behind them (ok, italy is waiting) but they have good chances to win all of these upcoming matches. While Italy has maybe the worst schedule... Playing against USA, Cuba and Brazil in the last 3 games :roll:

• Actually, anyone who mocked you is just dellusional, because brazilians players are NOT humble at all. Same for their fans. Everytime Brazil loses it is like "Brazil lost to itself"; "Brazil lost because it did not respect the other team"; "because they didn't concentrate"; "because they were nervous"; "because the team was not complete" bla bla bla, excuses and more excuses. They never admit the other team deserved it more, because in their head Brazil is "so much better" than the others.
    It's funny, because I already saw some of those commentaries today. LOL! They are saying Brazil didn't lose to the US, but to itself. Yeah, right, because there wasn't a team in the other side of the court. :roll:
    Some of their players are so overrated as well. Jaqueline is the best... only in being blocked though. Sheilla plays like no one, but only in favourable situations when the whole team is helping. Walewska is just, aff, ridiculous, very experienced player but never shows in decisions. Fabiana is treated like the best middle player in the whole world, but she still have a long way to go. The only players whom I admit are above the average are the setter and the libero, which make a difference.
    That's why I dislike their team and fans, and always root against them. It is unbeliveable, they still say they are better than us, even though we all know what happens when we play them... Basically, no one is at their level, and the only possibility they can win is if Brazil don't play good enough... They always end up losing the big games anyway, so it is ok to me. :)

• Today is a free day again, so its time to look at the rankings after the 2nd term

1 Italy 10
    2 U.S.A. 10
    3 Brazil 9
    4 Serbia 9
    5 Cuba 8
    6 Japan 8
    7 Poland 7
    8 Korea 7
    9 Dominican Republic 6
    10 Peru 6
    11 Thailand 5
    12 Kenya 5

• why so much hate on Brazil?? I love them!

they're not overrated. Still, they can win the WC.

i think Cuba is not humble at all. So is Italy. USA is humble though. My favorite teams are Brazil & USA.

Brazil fans are not humble?? Which fans? The brazilian fans? or the internation fans?

• :)
    I have nothing against with the other teams, but yes, I am a big fan of Brazil.. Win or lose. :wink2:

I think every teams deserves to win, and every one of us are free to share what we feel for our favorite team.

Well, on my side, CONGRATULATIONS for the winning team. :wink2:

• Are you Brazilian? :wink2:
    I'll speak for myself, about this. Each person has its own opinion and let's say I've had enough before I formed mine. I don't like the brazilian team, and I don't like the general Brazilian fans behavior. But that doesn't mean that I hate people who cheer for Brazil.

I guess when Russkii said they're overrated, is not because of this WC. It's because a lot of people put them as being the best team in the world, only because during 1 year or 2 they won some titles. Of course the team has inumerous qualities, but also is not unbeatable, specially if we're talking about decisions :roll: Jokes apart, I guess that was what Russkii wanted to mean.
    During 2005/2006 Brazilian team was complete, while the others where giving the main players a rest and were training the young players to get experience on the international scene. In my opinion, it's easy to win against other teams when you're complete and they are not. But you can notice that since the teams started to bring back their main players, Brazilian team has not won any title besides the South American.

For any fans, the team we cheer is always "the best", but most Brazilian fans have a lack of humility in not admitting that Brazil may be your favorite team but there are teams as good as Brazil or even better, and that Brazil in fact can lose, and stop giving stupid excuses, like the ones Russkii mentioned in his post. It's usual to hear things like that. It's never the other team that is good, it's always Brazilian team that "let they win". And because of that, there are criticism for some players of their own team, Jaqueline, Sheilla, Paula, no one is spared, even Fofao, and also they call the other players bad names like "the giraffe Haneef" (in this last USA victory). It looks like jealousy for me.
    And don't tell me people don't think like that because I've seen it thousands of times with my own eyes.

Talking about the other teams, first: I don't like Cuba either. But I must admit that some of their attitudes were perfectly justifiable for me, like in the end of Pan-An Games when they made grimaces to the Brazilian supporters. People always mention how unethical they were, but no one tells that the supporters were booing Cuba's National Anthem. Anyway, that's not what I really wanted to say about the subject. LOL.
    My point is that all teams have players that are humble and those who are not. I think it's pretty unfair to say that a team is humble and the other is a team made of arrogant players.
    I've had the chance to meet players from a lot of countries and my own experiences are only valid to myself, but for example Annerys Vargas (DR) was the most arrogant player I've ever seen, followed closely by Walewska. On the other hand, Nancy Metcalf is the most wonderful person I've ever seen (and that does count all the people I know), and Rosir Calderon was really nice too, just to type few examples.
    When I find Brazilian players arrogant is not because they treat their fans badly (in my opinion, giving few bad written autographs and taking pictures with fake smiles is not an example of treating the fans very well, but it's my personal opinion based on personal experiences)... I find they arrogant because they seem to think that they are too good...

I have nothing against with the other teams, but yes, I am a big fan of Brazil.. Win or lose.

I think every teams deserves to win, and every one of us are free to share what we feel for our favorite team.

Well, on my side, CONGRATULATIONS for the winning team.

I agree with you in parts :wink2:
    I think that people are free to say what they feel for their team, but I feel like disrespected when I read comments like "Brazil lost to itself" instead of saying that USA played a great match. And it happens everytime that Brazil loses, they never recognize that the other team was good enough to beat them. And I also think everyone should feel free to express comments about the team they dislike. It's a discussion thread :wink2:

• I'm a Brazilian, and I honestly think Brazil and Russia are the two best teams in the world nowadays... It's lnot lack of humbleness, it's just my opinion.
    The problem with the Brazilian NT is not THAT they lose... No team is unbeatable, the problem is HOW they lose...
    Athens, 24X19... c'mon.... It was practically an ended game...
    WC2006, 13X11... Sheilla spikes out, Jaqueline is blocked(as usual) and then makes a mistake in reception... Another loss
    Now, they win the 1st and 2nd sets in a spectacular way, but then lose the game
    If you see, all the significant loss Brazil has had lately, they were more likely to win, I mean, they had a lot of advantadge... And that is what makes people nervous... Losing matches is normal, but losing all important matches when you have a clear advantadge is just frustrating....

• //During 2005/2006 Brazilian team was complete, while the others where giving the main players a rest and were training the young players to get experience on the international scene. In my opinion, it's easy to win against other teams when you're complete and they are not. But you can notice that since the teams started to bring back their main players, Brazilian team has not won any title besides the South American.//

i agree, brazil have their main players earlier on the rest of the teams,
    but jac and sheilla and fabiana are also young players even now,
    so i think some irregular performences are natural
    ---really they are twenty something

now, other teams called back veteran players, all is not the same

last year, russia used 3 veterans; this year logan tom and an mow santos
    even picinnini and anzanello and aguero
    so, i think brazil should have some experienced players to manage the team lol--------personal idea 8)

• I think the problem is when you lose, and keep saying you are the best. That ANNOYS people.
    Let me give an example. When Russia won last year WCH, I thought Russia was so above the others, that it couldn't be defeated - I thought that only Brazil had any chances to beat Russia. Italy? Haha. Serbia? No way. Poland? :roll: USA? Weak team since WCH 2002. Cuba? Decadent. China? Unpredictable, but still I thought it couldn't beat Russia.
    I mean, I had a good reason for that, Sokolova and Gamova were unstopable, Godina was also very effective, and her serves were killer. The setter was horrible, but it seemed that wasn't enough to put Russia down. It was so that Russia destroyed all their adversaries in WCH 06 like they were nothing - except for Brazil.
    Then I was like, great, now it is all about Russia vs Brazil, and I was hoping we would win every tournament this year: WGP, European, World Cup...Then it came the GP, and as soon as Russia lost 3x0 to Poland I started to get worried. Then it lost to the USA too, won 3x2 against Azerbajan and I was like WTF!?
    Then in the finals Russia got destroyed by Italy, then it lost to China 3x0 and even to Holland, and I couldn't believe. From undisputed World Champions one year ago and now we couldn't beat Holland?
    Not only the results, but Gamova and Sokolova successful spikes in the matches were around 30%. Godina stopped serving from the air, and her serves were just like any mediocre player. The setter did what seemed impossible. Became even worse.
    I was thinking we would grab the next OG gold medal, and for the first time I got worried. Then I took a deep breath and thought to myself, OK, Russians don't give a DAMN about the GP, so it is all fine, we will still win the World Cup - even though I knew I was fooling myself.
    However, soon after it came the European, and we got HUMMILIATED by Italy twice more - even though I still think Italy without Aguero is not a big deal, as last year shows - and as a result we are not even in the World Cup, which is pathetic. :roll:
    What is my point? How would it sound if I kept saying Russia is the best in the world even after this ridiculous and shameful year? That's how people feel about Brazil. They keep losing and they keep thinking they are "the best". It's all "in their minds". :roll:
    That's all we ask. If you win, you can claim whatever you want, but if you keep losing, have at least the decency - because it's not about being humble, it's about being decent - to admit you are not the best, and that there are teams who can beat you.

• Sorry Russkii, I agree with almost the thing you have said, but when you say "even though I still think Italy without Aguero is not a big deal, as last year shows"...that can be your opinion and I agree that absolutely Tai is a great player, with power experience and that can be used in various ways...But as the last year shows...I can't really agree...We have been on the Gp podium during the last 4 years, and just once we had Aguero with us, since 2002 we have always been on the top of women's volleyball with other 4, 5 teams...I can't agree!

that since Tai is with us, something has changed is evident, but not just for her arrival, also because of the new coach and other factors

However in this WC tay isn't at her best and so far it has been quite a lot evident!

Tomorrow against Poland it will be a key match for us because it wuold permitt us to arrive in Nagoya almost surely unbeaten!!
    We all know that if on one hand USA is almost qualified because they have already played with Cuba and Brasil, we still have to play those 3 main matches that will be all very very difficult!!

Good luck everybody...ah...any live streaming tomorrow morning?

• Tomorrows Matches:
    Italy vs. Polan
    Kenya vs. Serbia
    Japan vs. Peru

Brazil vs. Thailand
    Dom. Republic vs. Thailand
    Cuba vs. Korea

Pressconference with the coaches

Massimo Barbolini (Italy): We are undefeated until now, but we know that the final ranking will be decided in the last two rounds, starting with Poland tomorrow. We know that there are waiting for us a lot of difficult matches. (On the prospect of facing Poland's former Italy coach Marco Bonitta): We know that we will play against a strong team, a team with a good block and with good attackers and a good serve. I think that is enough -- a strong team.

Sammy Kirongo (Kenya): This is world-class Volleyball and we have come from a continent where we are learning slowly. It is going to be tough against a tall and experienced team (Serbia) because all players of my side are very short. We want to give our best and try to do well in all departments, to have total commitment.

Enio de Figueiredo (Peru): So far we have played against some teams with very high potential such as Brazil, Cuba and Poland. Next we play Japan and this team is famous for its quick play; like us, they put the emphasis on defence, so we have to come up with different tactics to play Japan. Our goal here is not to qualify for the Olympic Games but to go higher in the world rankings, so every game through to the final round is important. Baylon (No. 11) has a back problem and will not play again in the World Cup. She has always been the central player of our team and we have to cover for her and devise a new way of playing. It will be difficult for us without her.

Marco Bonitta (Poland): Glinka has come back and we are very happy about that because she is a very important player for our team. So far we have played pretty well but the results have not reflected that, so starting from tomorrow (against Italy) we want to play a good game and also have a good result to go with it.

Zoran Terzic (Serbia): In the European Championship Poland beat us 3-0 very easily in one game, and in the second game we beat Poland 3-0, so if you ask me which result I would like next I would say like the same game in the semi-final. After the first and second rounds we have some chance to be in the first three teams until the end of the competition, but to do that we must win all three games in Sapporo. Of course it will be very, very difficult, especially against Poland because everybody knows very well that Poland have a great team and an excellent coach. It is not so easy to win two times (against Poland) in a short period of time, but I hope and I believe that my team will have enough power to do it.

Shoichi Yanagimoto (Japan): After yesterday's game I told my team that they had tried their best. We prepared very hard for the Italy game but the result did not follow. We have to switch our mindset for the Sapporo round and try to win all three games. We have to show our best performance and head for the final round in really good condition.

Jenny Lang Ping (U.S.A.): I think we played well as a team in the opening round, but I felt we were lucky in a couple of matches. In the third round, we need to continue to work hard as a team. We still have six matches left, so there's still a long way to go. I'm sure we will continue to play as we have and do everything possible to win. In this tournament, we play different teams every day and we need to learn how to make quick adjustments. Also, this week we will play two teams from Asia and they play a very fast game with a lot of combinations, so we'll have to make a quick adjustment in those games. We also need to receive more consistently.

Ze Roberto (Brazil): This third round is important for our team. Yesterday, we lost to the USA, so we hope we can do better in these games. We are having a great competition and I think our performances have been getting better and better. We've been able to identify some weak points as well as our strong points in these matches, and I think our defense needs to improve.

Antonio Perdomo (Cuba): In the first round, we lost two games and won one, and in the next phase we won two straight games. We have to dedicate our efforts towards winning these games; we can't afford to lose any more and that will be our motivation here. For us, communication between the team members is crucial. We need to perform more efficiently to get better results. In the last round we got better and better and I'm sure we will put on a good show for the spectators.

Beato Miguel Cruz (Dominican Republic): As I said before, our team is very young and the games here will be a great experience for our players. We've only won one game, so we're in a tough position, but our ultimate goal is to win three games and we must work toward this. As I said, the team is young and they have little experience in playing big games. We have to maintain our pace and rhythm during the games and we mustn't be nervous in the matches; that's very important for us.

Srisamutnak Nataphon (Thailand): We weren't able to win any games in the last two rounds but the games provided us with great experience. We learned a lot. Here in the third round, it will also be difficult as we will be up against some strong teams. We will do our best and hopefully get something out of the games. Everyone knows that height is one of our weak points as our average height is lower than those of other teams, but we can't do anything about it. Receiving is also one of the aspects we need to improve upon. If we avoid making errors, I'm sure we will improve in the next round.

Lee Jung Chul (Korea): Here, we will have the toughest matches against some of the strongest teams. They will be very difficult. We have a lot of young players and they will be able to get great experience through these games. We won two games in Osaka, so we are in good condition and feel good. We are looking forward to winning the games here and promise we will put on a good show. For us, one of our problems has been that our main veteran players are injured. As for other parts of our game, we have to improve the combination work among our central players. Sometimes it doesn't work so well.

fivb.org