Tough As Glass: Kim Glass - Volleyball Magazine

• Kim Glass talks about the Olympics, team tragedy and how she almost passed up volleyball for cheerleading
    By Jen Armson-Dyer

It’s hard to imagine what Kim Glass’ life would be like if she would have stayed with cheerleading instead of following her friend’s suggestion to try out for volleyball in high school. She more than likely would not have an Olympic medal, that’s for sure.

A basketball player who decided to try out for cheerleading in the fall, Glass also tried out for the volleyball squad at the request of her friend and basketball teammate Katie Ranck. And even though, by her own admission, she wasn’t very good, Glass made the team and decided to give the sport a try. It turned out to be a decision that would change the course of her life.

From the rolling hills of Lancaster, Pa., to the sunshine of Arizona to various locations around the world, Glass’ passion for challenges is what fuels her love for the game.

"I enjoy challenging myself to increase my aptitude for the game," she said. "There is so much to learn. I love passing and hitting, and demoralizing someone by digging their hardest hit. It’s a fun team sport and it challenges me mentally and physically."

And "anything" is what she did, as she became the youngest player chosen to represent the United States at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, in what she describes as an amazing experience.

Glass has used her physical talents to excel far beyond most of those people who will ever play the sport. She was a three-time All-America pick by the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) and a four-time All-Pac 10 honoree at the University of Arizona, where she is still the Wildcats’ career leader in aces and kills. Beyond her accolades, Glass credits her time at Arizona with helping her excel in the professional volleyball world after graduation.

"Playing Division I volleyball and training like we did at Arizona really prepared me for pro volleyball. We trained incredibly hard and spring was no joke...they kicked our butts. They really made me test my boundaries and open my eyes to how far I could go. After that I felt like I could do anything."

When first informed of being selected to the Olympic team, Glass said she "cried tears of happiness. Tears of so many built up emotions that I had bundled up from that long process. I was so happy, and I immediately called my mom."

An athlete at an elite level not only needs the physical strength to succeed but also the mental and emotional strength to remain focused on the task at hand. Glass relied on the older members of the Olympic squad to aid her in the experience.

"The veterans really helped me," she said. "They were selfless, hard-working and encouraging, and they just tried to be the best leaders they could be. They led by example, they pushed me, held me accountable, had my back and they really set a good foundation for me and the team."

Team USA would need a good foundation to deal with the myriad of emotions of not only competing on the largest stage in sports but also the off-the-court tragedy of the death of Todd Bachman, father of former Olympian Elisabeth "Wiz" Bachman and father-in-law of current USA women’s head coach Hugh McCutcheon, something that Glass described as "beyond awful."

"You can never prepare for something like that, and it really pulled all of us together. We looked at each other, we knew how much each other was hurting, how badly Wiz’ family was hurting, and we just wanted to fight for one another. It made all of the petty things seem so small and it magnified how special life and the experience was."

The squad banded together and came away with the silver medal, its first top-three finish since the 1992 Barcelona Games. Glass, who started 26 of the 33 total sets, credited her teammates and the mental preparation as a key ingredient to the Olympic success.

"We were proactive and had many team meetings on learning how to deal with distractions and being focused. It’s always tough not to let your excitement get the best of you. You just have to stay in each moment, not too far ahead, not too far behind, but in the present."

This mental focus and toughness is something that Glass continues to rely upon as she travels around the world playing volleyball. She has played professionally in several countries including Turkey, Russia and Puerto Rico and was named to the USA preliminary team roster for the FIVB Women’s World Championship that takes place Oct. 29 to Nov. 14 in Japan.

"Kim is a very dynamic, very good volleyball player, and she has a lot of potential and room to grow in her game," said McCutcheon. "She is playing quite well and anyone who has an Olympic medal and an Olympic Games under their belt helps us a ton. Talent only gets you so far but you need to know how to work hard and you need some experience in how to make the right choices at the right time and we think Kim can help us with that."

Glass’ travels and experiences off the court have helped her with not only making those right choices, but they have helped her learn who she is as a person.

"I’ve grown so much from my experiences playing. Going overseas, to me, is time for reflection. Being by yourself 24-7, you have to get to know yourself and it’s a long time by yourself so you’d better like who you are.

"I’ve explored the areas of my life I need to improve on, and become more mindful of who I am and I’m learning how to shape my character," she continued. "I’ve become even more independent and I’ve learned how to understand and deal with the differences of cultures. I’ve absorbed so much from each culture and learned different languages, and I’ve also learned how to be better in business. On the court, I’ve had coaches who have been instrumental to me as a player by making me better and teaching me how to coach and grow myself as a player."

As if traveling and playing volleyball at a world-class level wasn’t hard enough, Glass has been sidelined by injuries, including a torn hamstring and a herniated and bulging disc in her back. But through it all, she relies on her physical and mental strengths to get her through the tough times.

"[When I’m rehabbing, I’m thinking] I gotta get better, there is no other option. I have to do it and do it right. There are so many other good players working hard right now, I’ve gotta push and get better every day."

Team USA’s athletic trainer, Jill Wosmek, also sees Glass’ positive thinking and hard work paying off when rehabbing her injuries.

"Kim’s attitude has been great. She is a hard worker and committed to the process, even if it means hundreds of reps and elementary moves to retrain her body with proper mechanics. Kim is a very positive person and realizes that her hard work will pay off in the end.

To push through the injuries, Glass stresses the necessity to do the work, don’t be lazy and be consistent. And she does admit that at times, she wonders.

"You go through a myriad of emotions, sometimes you get the ‘what ifs,’ especially when you have set-backs. But personally I tell myself that everything happens for a reason and the challenge is going to make me stronger. I try to think positively and mentally only see the sunshine. You’ve gotta not think about the rain, but how beautiful the sun will be shining once the rain is over."

When she is having those doubts, Glass turns to an off-the-court relief to help her through those tough times: she writes poetry. The hobby started in high school when she read the poem "Two Happy Lovers" by Pablo Neruda.

"I like to write and it just began to flow into poetry. My poetry is about love, life and whatever is on my mind. It’s a release. An artful way to describe my world."

Though her world is very much consumed by volleyball, Glass feels very strongly about having other aspects in life as well.

"Everyone needs an outlet, it’s very important to have other interests."

Aside from writing, bowling, shopping, playing pool, going to concerts and comedy shows, another of Glass’ passions is fashion. She tried out for the show "America’s Next Top Model" five times while in college and is currently a spokesperson for Under Armour, which she got into through US teammate Stacy Sykora.

"I love representing Under Armour," said Glass. "It’s like a family, they’re wonderful people and they work hard in providing the best gear to help you perform well, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a spokesperson!"

Performing well isn’t something that Glass feels is limited to world-class athletes either.

"Making a commitment to being healthy and in shape is a lifestyle, not a quick fad. Regular exercise is essential. I feel like it’s as important as your job on a daily basis, and as hard as you work for that, you have to have that same level of commitment for your health. At the end of the day, your body is your temple, and if you don’t have good health, you don’t have anything."

Glass is taking her own advice to heart as she works tirelessly to chase her ultimate goal of an Olympic gold medal, the one that she narrowly missed out on in 2008, the one that inspires her every day.

All this from a woman who almost chose cheerleading over volleyball.

Source: Volleyball Magazine