Bulgarian Superliga 2011/2012

• In the first round after the winter break and with some new signings the teams had an interesting weekend. Some of them mixing good and bad performance, of course. Especially good words this round for Neftochimik 2010 and Marek. The team from Bourgas quite expectedly smashed Arda 3-0 at home and I am not saying this as a consequence of some super form for the hosts, but rather as an offspring of the poor away performance by Arda. Take a quick look at the stats and see that the setter N. Naydenov making his debut for Neftochimik became an MVP with the superb 8 (!) aces. Not bad for a setter, right? But I am far from impressed, there are still many matches to come, Neftochimik will have a lot more to prove, but I am just happy to see Niki Naydenov back on court in Bulgaria.

Marek took an important wn at home versus Levski with the NT MB Tsvetanov. It's always tough to play in Dupnitsa, first, because of the fans, second, because of the small sports hall, the number of aces depicts the reception difficulties in such a low sports construction (or I should rather say a gym with seats).

Last, a good comeback from 0-2 for Slavia against the volatile Montana. As said many times already, the matches between the 4th and 10th in the ranking can finish in almost any way and are very hard to predict. N4 (Arda) and N9 (Slavia) are separated by 5 points only, so at least many more battles are expected, even if we can have some remarks about the general level of volleyball.

• 13th round:

20-January

Pirin Balkanstroy - Neftochimik 2010 3-0 (25-18, 25-19, 25-18 )
    Cherno more BASK - Slavia 3-0 (26-24, 28-26, 25-22) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8195.pdf
    Arda - Marek Union-Ivkoni 0-3 (21-25, 16-25, 22-25) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8198.pdf
    Montana - Victoria Volley 3-2 (28-30, 20-25, 25-14, 25-22, 15-9) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8196.pdf

21-January

CSKA - Coco Volley Club Gabrovo 3-1 (20-25, 25-13, 25-17, 25-22) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8194.htm
    Levski Volley - Botev Lukovit 3-0 (25-14, 25-23, 25-20) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8199.pdf

Standings:

1 - Pirin Balkanstroy 36
    2 - Marek Union-Ivkoni 33
    3 - CSKA (-1) 28
    4 - Montana 21
    5 - Levski Volley 21
    6 - Arda 20
    7 - Neftochimik 2010 18
    8 - Coco Volley Club Gabrovo 16
    9 - Slavia 15
    10- Cherno more BASK 13
    11- Victoria Volley 7
    12- Botev Lukovit 3

• The most impressive outcome of this round was the performance of Marek and Cherno more. A very important win for the currently-ranked second Marek in Kardzhali, where it is always difficult to play. However, it is more than obvious that Arda is now not the same team anymore, they are having huge problems with motivation and it resulted in a serious drop of points and soon maybe of places in the rankings. Marek actually won surprisingly easy, but just to prove their good recent shape. Cherno more made an important 3-0 victory at home against Slavia, now they save all chances to avoid the relegation battle and reduced the distance to Slavia to 2 points only. Pirin didn't face any problems at home versus Neftochimik, it was disappointing to see the visitors without any chances to take even a set, but it was rather expected based on the history of games between the two teams in Razlog.

There are two interesting matches this weekend. Marek will play against Pirin in Dupnitsa in the derby of the second half of the season, whereas Neftochimik need some points and will try to take them from Montana in Bourgas in the derby in the middle of the ranking.

* Two games were already postponed in the league this weekend due to the heavy snow conditions in Bulgaria. Botev Lukovit - Arda and CVC Gabrovo - Levski Volley will be played later in 2012.

• Pirin trashed Marek 3-0 in what was supposed to be the derby! Very dissapointing from Marek to lose so catastrophically in their own fully packed hall.
    I thought at least they will put up some fight! Marek shoudn't be so afraid of Pirin, even though they lead the ranking there was only few points difference and one should not ecpect Pirin to play some cosmic level alright? :wacko:
    Dissapointing!

Also CSKA struggling with Slavia for a 3-2 victory...Now Pirin seems invincible on the top of the ranking.
    Will they take the title for first time in thier history? It seems that only CSKA may put some fight, as Marek clearly lack the class and mentality to do so...

• I watched Marek-Pirin and I can say that few things made impression on me. Firstly, Marek players came out very frightened and even the captain Zlatan Yordanov was nervous. Nerves got entirely out of the game players that could make the difference like Elchinov or Bahov. The only guy that was not scared was the Macedonian. He was the only threat on serve and wasn't afraid at the key moments of the game. Pirin, on the other hand, played very simple but effective. And that's their performance for the entire season. No hype, but steady performance that will win them the title. Pirin killed Marek on block but mostly on MB attack. Gadzhanov and Gotsev are arguably the best players in the league now and they dominate the middle. Dobri isn't afraid to pass them avery time although sometimes there is double block against them.

Maybe the league is indeed more contested this year but there is 1 team that is above the others, just like CSKA in 2010-2011.

• 14th round:

27-January

Slavia - CSKA 2-3 (13-25, 25-16, 25-22, 23-25, 9-15) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8205.pdf

28-January

Neftochimik 2010 - Montana 3-0 (25-21, 25-21, 25-18 )
    Marek Union-Ivkoni - Pirin Balkanstroy 0-3 (16-25, 21-25, 23-25) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8202.pdf

As already mentioned, Botev Lukovit - Arda and CVC Gabrovo - Levski Volley have been postponed due to the heavy snow conditions in Bulgaria

• 15th round:

01-February

Cherno more BASK - Neftochimik 2010 1-3 (16-25, 14-25, 25-23, 17-25)
    CSKA - Victoria Volley 3-0 (25-21, 25-10, 25-20) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8207.htm
    Pirin Balkanstroy - Botev Lukovit 3-0 (25-23, 25-20, 25-19) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8210.html
    Arda - Levski Volley 0-3 (22-25, 16-25, 23-25) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8211.pdf
    Slavia - Coco Volley Club Gabrovo 3-0 (25-21, 25-20, 25-19) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8206.pdf
    Montana - Marek Union-Ivkoni 2-3 (27-25, 26-24, 19-25, 18-25, 12-15) http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/8209.pdf

Standings:

1 - Pirin Balkanstroy 42
    2 - Marek Union-Ivkoni 35
    3 - CSKA (-1) 33
    4 - Neftochimik 2010 24
    5 - Levski Volley (-1) 24
    6 - Montana 22
    7 - Arda (-1) 20
    8 - Slavia 19
    9 - Coco Volley Club Gabrovo (-1) 16
    10- Cherno more BASK (-2) 13
    11- Victoria Volley (-1) 7
    12- Botev Lukovit (-1) 3

• Two rounds that were played in difficult conditions, but still offered some nice results. Starting with the big derby, Pirin humiliated the hosts Marek and totally won the race for the first place of the regular season. Only a huge miracle can stop them from taking the first play-off position. Marek didn't show any of the good things they have been showing in the last months, only the setter Gjorgiev played on a good level. Everyone expected a longer game based on the home crowd support and the recent shape of the hosts, but Pirin is just too strong at the moment. In addition, Marek had more problems in Montana where they lost a point in the battle with CSKA for the second place. It is, of course, a great success for them that they still managed to win after being 0-2 down. A score that only proves how unstable Montana is this year. We cannot blame them, however, for the defeat in Bourgas, they had huge problems travelling to the seaside, their bus got stuck, so volleyball was not the only thing they were talking about this day. The 0-3 defeat after such an accident was more or less expected.

Good days for Neftochimik 2010, Levski and even Slavia taking precious points. Slavia was even close to beating CSKA (with the reds playing with all the starters). The biggest disappointment is no doubt Arda, their last victory dates bask to the middle of December. They have dropped their advantage as 4th-ranked team to the current 7th place and they have hard games approaching.

The most expected game next week will be in Sofia where Pirin visits Levski. Levski is back in business, but I doubt they will have so much to offer against the leaders.

• Haven't seen a match with so many ups and downs for a very very long time. Very entertaining! Levski destroyed Pirin's reception with bombs from the service line. Bratoev with 9-10 aces and as many other serves that turned into Levski's points! If Levski won that match it would be all to Bratoev's credit. He alone could beat Pirin, but he wasn't enough. Just...

I don't know what Yovkov likes about players like Marinkov, Zhelyazkov or Petrov(one of the non-Bratoev twins) but they are average players for our level at best. I admire the power of Yordan Zhelyazkov, if only he can put some brains next to it. A lot of his successful attacks were due to incredible luck with the block. Katrandzhiev, on the other hand, has the experience and his plays are somewhat intelligent, but he has the jump and the flexibility of a man who can usually be found in the pub. Bozhkov is unstable, too. So the periphery attack turned out to be not that good for Pirin. After all, they won and that's most important.

And the match deserved to be decided in 5 sets, because as Levski could win the 4th set, so could Pirin take the 1st set.

• Haven't seen a match with so many ups and downs for a very very long time. Very entertaining! Levski destroyed Pirin's reception with bombs from the service line. Bratoev with 9-10 aces and as many other serves that turned into Levski's points! If Levski won that match it would be all to Bratoev's credit. He alone could beat Pirin, but he wasn't enough. Just...

I don't know what Yovkov likes about players like Marinkov, Zhelyazkov or Petrov(one of the non-Bratoev twins) but they are average players for our level at best. I admire the power of Yordan Zhelyazkov, if only he can put some brains next to it. A lot of his successful attacks were due to incredible luck with the block. Katrandzhiev, on the other hand, has the experience and his plays are somewhat intelligent, but he has the jump and the flexibility of a man who can usually be found in the pub. Bozhkov is unstable, too. So the periphery attack turned out to be not that good for Pirin. After all, they won and that's most important.

And the match deserved to be decided in 5 sets, because as Levski could win the 4th set, so could Pirin take the 1st set.

:rolll: Bratoev with 14 points! 9 aces, 1 block, 4 attacks! Only in Bulgaria :rolll:

• :rolll: Bratoev with 14 points! 9 aces, 1 block, 4 attacks! Only in Bulgaria :rolll:

Mostly in Cuba, rather than Bulgaria :wavy:

Bratoev should have scored more blocks, IMHO. And Zhani Zhelyaskov didn't get replaced in time, very suspicious decision for me, like he has some privileges

• Mostly in Cuba, rather than Bulgaria :wavy:

Bratoev should have scored more blocks, IMHO. And Zhani Zhelyaskov didn't get replaced in time, very suspicious decision for me, like he has some privileges

Yeah, although in Cuba it is cause of excellent physical data, in Bulgaria it is due to the very poor reception of low class players on the otehr side of the net. If facing every decent European team I doubt there would be so many aces. Some yes, but not that much. It is nice to see Bratoev serving so hard and consistent, though! It is great for our NT. :thumbsup:

• Nadejda, Valentin Bratoev scores many aces in A2 and his brother now has equal power on serve, so probably could achieve a lot in higher leagues, even if not 9 aces every match :)
    P.S. In my opinion too many players in Bulgaria have inconsistent or float serve and the players can't train reception very well, I doubt many clubs to have machines for that purpose.

• Nadejda, Valentin Bratoev scores many aces in A2 and his brother now has equal power on serve, so probably could achieve a lot in higher leagues, even if not 9 aces every match :)
    P.S. In my opinion too many players in Bulgaria have inconsistent or float serve and the players can't train reception very well, I doubt many clubs to have machines for that purpose.

:rolll: :rolll:

• yes, he scored, I don't mind that, but that's not Georgi? 8|
    You seriously brought his brothers stats to prove your point :lol: That made me lough! And please, don't tell me they are same, because they are not!

• yes, he scored, I don't mind that, but that's not Georgi? 8|

You seriously brought his brothers stats to prove your point :lol: That made me lough! And please, don't tell me they are same, because they are not!

I didn't measure the speed but I think Bratoev's serve is strong like his brothers. I have eyes, and I trust them. If we can measure it we can be certain.

• 16th round:

04-February

Coco Volley Club Gabrovo - Arda 2-3 (19-25, 25-13, 19-25, 25-10, 8-15) stats
    Levski Volley - Pirin Balkanstroy 2-3 (27-25, 19-25, 25-19, 20-25, 11-15) stats
    Marek Union-Ivkoni - Cherno more BASK 3-0 (25-13, 25-18, 25-10) stats
    Victoria Volley - Slavia 3-2 (19-25, 25-19, 25-19, 19-25, 15-10) stats
    Botev Lukovit - Montana 2-3 (18-25, 23-25, 27-25, 25-21, 8-15)

Standings:

1 - Pirin Balkanstroy 44
    2 - Marek Union-Ivkoni 38
    3 - CSKA (-2) 33
    4 - Levski Volley (-1) 25
    5 - Neftochimik 2010 (-1) 24
    6 - Montana 24
    7 - Arda (-1) 22
    8 - Slavia 20
    9 - Coco Volley Club Gabrovo (-1) 17
    10- Cherno more BASK (-2) 13
    11- Victoria Volley (-1) 9
    12- Botev Lukovit (-1) 4

• Saturday offered a lot of tie-breaks, only in Dupnitsa Marek won in three sets. In the derby of the round Levski was close to making the surprise, but Pirin prevailed at the end. The setter Georgi Bratoev made 9 aces and finished the game with 14 points, which is a good number efficiency for any attacker or MB. Unfortunately, most of these numbers come as an outcome of a lot of ups and downs for the teams, just look at the set scores of CVC Gabrovo and Arda and you will see what I mean. In Gabrovo, honestly, the victory for the guests was rather surprising, but this is just in a consequence of the crazy league this year. Also, two other numbers need to be mentioned - 11 and 10 stuff blocks for Ivan Vlasev (CVC Gabrovo) and Ventsi Ragin (Slavia), respectively. There is no single player stats data being kept, but I am 99% sure Ragin would be the leader in the MB competition, it's not the first time for him to block so much.

In Bourgas, Neftochimik - CSKA was postponed due to the cold sports hall. This is a known problem for years, the game against Montana should've also been postponed as the players were warming up with jackets and gloves last week. It is indeed one of the most spacious sports halls in the league, but the heating problem should not be an excuse.