2010 FIVB World Club Championships

• Sollys Osasco ready for Doha pressure

Brazil’s Sollys Osasco are likely to arrive at the 2010 FIVB Women’s Club World Championship as one of the favourites to take top spot on the podium, but they are not taking the competition lightly and are well aware that many of the teams set to compete could pose a serious threat to the South American Women’s Club champions.

The side will be at full strength come their first Pool A match against Thailand’s Federbrau and they will then face Turkey’s Fenerbahce. Jacqueline, Natalia, Sassá, Camila Brait, Adenízia and Thaisa, all of whom featured as part of the Brazil side that picked up silver at the 2010 FIVB Women’s World Championship on November 14 in Japan, will be travelling to Doha along with talismanic captain Carol Albuquerque, who herself won gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

"I believe [Turkey’s] Fenerbahce, [Italy’s] Bergamo and our team come in as favorites,” Albuquerque said on the tournament. “I have never disputed a Club World Championship before and do not know if I will have another opportunity, so it will be an exclusive title and we are going in with full force to win this for the city of Osasco.”

Sollys Osasco coach Luizomar de Moura agreed with his captain that both Bergamo and Fenerbahce will be the biggest rivals in Doha along with Federbrau.

"Fenerbahce is a global selection, with players of various nationalities,” he said. “The team from Bergamo is practically the base of the Azzurri and Federbrau is an Asian team and it's always tough to play against opponents from Asia. In addition, there are two teams that we do not know much (Dominican Republic’s Mirador and Kenya Prisons.

"Brazilian Volleyball goes into any competition with great expectations so we cannot imagine that there is a greater expectation on top of our team,” he added. “It is a title that the group wants and we will try to find the best pace to get strong in Qatar."

FIVB

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Fenerbahce eager to fufil potential on world stage

Turkey's Fenerbahce have been earmarked by many as one of the main challengers for the 2010 FIVB Women’s Club World Championship, due to take place in Doha, Qatar from December 15-21.

Following a golden 2010 in which they have picked up the Turkish Cup, the Turkish League and the Turkish Super Cup as well as the silver medal in the CEV Champions League, that presumption is understandable. After a successful defence of their Turkish Super Cup title against Vakifbank, the Istanbul-based team have the Turkish and European titles in their sights, but are also well aware they stand a good chance of taking the premier prize for clubs.

"We are very excited to take part in the FIVB Club World Championship," said Cigdem Rasna, Fenerbahce's captain. "We have a very good team which has the potential to become champions. We want to do our best. We would be very glad to bring this special cup to our country."

Fenerbahce have some impressive names on their roster, including Russia's Liubov Shashkova – a world champion with her national team in Japan last month – Germany captain Christiane Furst, and Eda Erdem and Naz Aydemir, who finished sixth with Turkey at the FIVB Women's World Championship.

There is also plenty of experience on the sidelines, with the presence of Brazilian coach Jose Roberto Guimares 'Ze Roberto' at the helm. "Although it will be a tough tournament with really good teams and players, we are going to try to win the cup with a good performance," Ze Roberto said as he looks to guide his team to the very top.

Kenya Prisons aiming to steal the show

Kenya Prisons' journey to the 2010 FIVB Women's Club World Championship began four years ago, and the manner in which they have emerged from complete obscurity makes them a pillar of hope for all African clubs.

Formed in 2006, Kenya Prisons have chalked up two continental titles and three national league crowns and as a consequence have joined the ranks of Africa's biggest clubs. But they have their sights now on an even greater challenge as they prepare for their Club World Championship campaign in Doha, Qatar from December 15-21.

They will start off against Pool B rivals Mirador on 15 December and then take on Bergamo two days later. Coach David Lungaho said: "We are taking one match at a time. Our target is to get to the finals and if we can win this competition, then it will be a great honour to us and Kenya as a whole."

Last week, Kenya Prisons added another feather to their illustrious cap as they wrapped up the Kenya League Cup by beating Kenya Pipeline in straight sets (25-14, 25-14, 25-18) in a derby clash in Mombasa.

"If you look at the hunger in the players' eyes for success, you will see they will be not be going to Doha just to fill the numbers but to stake a claim at the bigger prize," Lungaho added. "I have an advantage because they are mostly young players and soon we will be able to completely dominate Volleyball in Africa and in Kenya."

Jane Wachu, the setter, is arguably the most promising Kenyan player. At 24, she is already one of the most experienced members of the squad and has filled the gap left by captain Brackcides Khadambi, who is currently in Japan training with Hitachi Sawa Club.

Agala, a central player, was expected to return on December 2 to join the rest of the squad at their training camp at Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani. "She will bolster the team, and provide the added striking force that might be the deciding point for us in those crucial split decisions," Lungaho added.

In her absence Joan Chela has stepped in, and has combined well with Mercy Moim, Wachu, Esther Mwombe, Diana Khisa, Judith Tarus and Lydia Maiyo. Optimism is high and team manager David Kilundo believes the African side can head for Doha with confidence – not least for the experience a good number of the group gained from taking part at the 2010 FIVB Women's World Championship in Japan last month with Kenya's national team.

Lungaho added: "This tournament has no favourites. It is being held for the first time after a long period and we are there to stake our claim and make our name. I know the Italians (Bergamo) are tall and sharp, but we are equal to the task. The Dominican Republic side (Mirador) are the dark horses with no one knowing exactly what to expect of them."

FIVB

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Onuma and Pleumjit to carry fight for Federbrau

With the 2010 FIVB Women's World Championship now just over a week away, Onuma Sittirak and Pleumjit Thinkaow of Thai women's club Federbrau are eagerly awaiting their arrival in Doha, Qatar and the opportunity to take on some of the world's best teams.

Federbrau double up as the Thailand national team and have trained together for over three years, so they will be looking to profit from their familiarity with each other at the tournament, which runs from December 15-21. The team found some stunning form to win the Asian Women's Club Championship and book their ticket to Qatar, but both Onuma and Pleumjit are determined to step up another level now.

"It's our team's first time in the Women's Club World Championship," Onuma, who was top scorer at the Asian event, said. "I think it's hard to say how are our prospects in Doha. We have been told that a daunting task awaits us in the tournament as we have to take on much stronger sides."

Onuma is already renowned as a nightmare for blockers. The 24-year-old, though standing just 175cm tall, has incredible jumping ability which allows her to spike at a height of 304cm. Her powerful jump serves are also a threat. "I believe everyone in our team will do their best, but it's not that easy to beat any team," she added. "All participating teams are the best sides from different continents."

Pleumjit, meanwhile, has been part of the Federbrau and Thailand squads for the best part of a decade. Although her outstanding performances in international competitions have yet to secure her individual recognition, the 180cm 27-year-old from Angthong province has become the backbone of the Federbrau team, with her devastating cross-court fast spikes a key weapon.

"I think it will be tough out there," she said. "Every team is very strong. Playing with my team for several years can't guarantee that we will beat the other sides easily. We have to do our best in every match we play. We all are ready to go for the best."

All of Federbrau's players have been taking part in the Volleyball Thailand League, which started on December 4 and will continue until next April and serves as the final preparation for the side.

"After the Asian Games, we gathered again for intensive training in preparation for the Women's Club World Championship," Kiattipong Radchatagriengkai, coach of Federbrau, said. "We learned from our mistakes and tried to improve our tactics and techniques. Although it's not easy to beat any team which is highly experienced in major tournaments, I'm convinced my girls will try their best. We are ready for the tournament."

Bergamo down but not out

Bergamo's preparations for the 2010 FIVB Women's Club World Championship have been anything but ideal and coach Davide Mazzanti admits his team have work to do before arriving in Doha.

The Italian side have had a difficult start to the season, losing to Turkey's Fenerbahce in the CEV Champions League and delivering mixed results in the Italian league. They have also had to contend with the news that the talismanic Eleonora Lo Bianco, the Italian national team's captain, is out of the tournament following an operation to remove a small lump from her breast.

"The beginning of this season has been difficult," Mazzanti said. "We have had difficulties and this is because the team has not trained together enough. We must find our game. And the absence of Lo Bianco has been a hard blow."

Bergamo captain Francesca Piccinini added: "The news about Lo Bianco has upset us. We know that she is living with a great fear, but we know also that we have to handle it in the best possible way. It will be tougher for us on the court, but we want to play well her. We are working to create a strong group and in order to live the special experience of the Club World Championship. Our job is to win all the matches that we will play in Doha."

The experience of captain Piccinini, 31, will be important when Bergamo start off their World Club Championship campaign against the Dominican Republic's Mirador on December 16, the first of their two Pool B games. She will seek support from middle blockers Valentina Arrighetti and Iuliana Nucu as well as young spikers Elitsa Vasileva, Lucia Bosetti and Serena Ortolani as the Italians bid to make an impact at the Qatar-staged event that runs from December 15-21.

FIVB

• Kwiek confident about Mirador's chances in Qatar

Mirador coach Marcos Kwiek is optimistic that his team can benefit from having been placed in what he considers a weaker-looking Pool B at the FIVB Women's Club World Championship.

The Brazilian, who also doubles up as coach of the Dominican Republic national team, believes that Mirador are in the less formidable of the two sections, having been drawn to meet Kenya Prisons – their first opponents on 15 December – and then Italian club Bergamo. Pool A comprises Federbrau of Thailand, Fenerbahce of Turkey and Sollys Osasco of Brazil.

"I think our pool's composition favours our chances of qualifying for the second round and we have assembled a good mix of players," Kwiek said on Thursday after the conclusion of the first of two daily training sessions. "We've got a good team and I like our chances."

Mirador will leave on Sunday for the event in Doha, Qatar and Kwiek considers it vital they make a winning start in their opener against Kenya Prisons. "We don't know a lot about the Kenya Prisons team but many of their players took part in the FIVB Women's World Championship so we have some idea about them," Kwiek said. "They will be our first opponents in a crucial match for progress to the semifinals."

Their second game follows 24 hours later, on 16 December, against Bergamo. "Bergamo are a good team but they will be without their setter Eleonora Lo Bianco and any time you lose a player of that calibre, it is a big blow to your chances," added Kwiek, who views Pool A heavyweights Sollys Osasco and Fenerbahce as the two strongest sides in the competition. "When you take a look at their rosters you know they are going to be pretty tough teams and Federbrau is the same team that represented Thailand with good results at the World Championship last month in Japan."

As for Kwiek's own squad, most have been part of the Dominican Republic national teams at senior and junior levels so finding the right chemistry should not be too tough a task for the experienced coach. He has announced his starting side with veteran Milagros Cabral and Bethania de la Cruz as outside hitters, Cindy Rondon as opposite, Annerys Vargas and Candida Arias the middle blockers, setter Karla Echenique and Brenda Castillo as libero.

On his selection, he started with the return of De la Cruz, saying: "Bethania is coming along pretty well and she must be a key factor for us. She was out of action for more than a year due to maternity but now is nearing her top shape and Cindy is moving to opposite after many years as a middle blocker. Arias and Castillo both are part of the junior national team as too are Yennifer Ramirez, Marisol Concepcion and Ana Yorkira Binet, so the competition will be useful for all of them."

Natalia eyeing gold with Sollys Osasco

Sollys Osasco's sights are set firmly on becoming the third team from Brazil to win the FIVB Women's Club World Championship, according to their young Brazilian international Natalia.

Natalia is aiming to go one better than the silver medal she won at the FIVB Women's World Championship with her national side in Japan last month, and sees no reason why Sollys Osasco cannot emulate the achievements of Sadia Esporte Club Sao Paulo in 1991 and Leite Moca Sao Paulo in 1994 – even if she still finds it hard to believe she is competing at such a high level at just 21.

"I never imagined being in the running for world selections and now a Club World Championship," she said. "I am very happy and hopefully can help the team as we try to win that title. We have won the Brazilian and South American titles. Now we have the Club World Championship and we're devoting ourselves and our training to bringing that trophy to Brazil."

Natalia is equally aware that Sollys Osasco, who clinched the Brazilian championship during the 2009/2010 season and the 2010 South American Club Championship, will come up against some of the world's top clubs – not least in their own pool where they start off against a team she believes could be the dark horses of the tournament, Thailand's Federbrau.

"Federbrau is more or less the Thailand team that played at the World Championship and they will take some work (to beat)," she said. "I think there will be no easy games for anyone." Sollys Osasco begin their campaign in Doha against Federbrau on December 15 before taking on Pool A's other team, Fenerbahce of Turkey, 24 hours later.

FIVB

• CAZÁ, CAZÁ, CAZÁ, A TURMA MESMO BOA, É MESMO DA FUZACÁ, SPORT ! SPORT! SPORT !!!!! :cup:

• Woow the comments by the Osasco team are pretty inspiring. They sound really motivated and pumped up.

• Woow the comments by the Osasco team are pretty inspiring. They sound really motivated and pumped up.

I agree they are so confident

• A question: Apinyapong, Sittirak and Kanthong plays in a turkish teams? why they are in the teams of Federbrau for the Championship in Doha?

yes all three are playing Eregli Belediyesi but i think they left the team

• Honestly I think is a bit childish NAtalia coment about revange over Sokolova, she really think winnign this is a revange? And commom....if you forgot about the defeat, then whya revange...dont know, seems a bit childish for me, I think they still dont know how to loose, and that is bad for them but anyway, Natalia is still young girl and have a lot to learn, I jsut fell bad they keep having this bad fellings against other teams and players...I think makes much worse to them, braislian girls, makes difference for them, and for preassure they take much more then any other thing....anyway, its just a point of view, I jsut wished they let this things go, and just move on....:(

• Anyone knows if any link in internet will broadcast the games? thanks in advance.. :flower:

Joana, maybe on Rai, USstream or Sportv (Europe)...but...

In Brazil, Have we some brazilian channel tv (Band, Globo, Bandsports, ESPN, Sportv...) with transmission??? Im searching in schedules but noting!!! ;(

CAZÁ, CAZÁ, CAZÁ, A TURMA MESMO BOA, É MESMO DA FUZACÁ, SPORT ! SPORT! SPORT !!!!! :cup:

• Joana, maybe on Rai, USstream or Sportv (Europe)...but...

In Brazil, Have we some brazilian channel tv (Band, Globo, Bandsports, ESPN, Sportv...) with transmission??? Im searching in schedules but noting!!! ;(

Paulo, in Brasil Bandsport will broadcast! but they didnt give the schedule yet, their site is the worse. :S

• Joana, maybe on Rai, USstream or Sportv (Europe)...but...

Joana, I saw in the http://www.qatarvolleyball.com/fivb2010/index.php that the Al-jazeera channel will broadcast the men and women's cups.

But i havent link to the broadcast now .

CAZÁ, CAZÁ, CAZÁ, A TURMA MESMO BOA, É MESMO DA FUZACÁ, SPORT ! SPORT! SPORT !!!!! :cup:

• Eregli Belediyesi announced that three players will not come.

they havent played a single game for Eregli this season, have they ? will they even play for them in new year ?

• Anyone knows if any link in internet will broadcast the games? thanks in advance.. :flower:

Joana i guess Fromsport or livescorehunter will broadcast the games.

• Captain underlines Fenerbahce confidence
    Fenerbahce captain Cigdem Rasna believes the Turkish contenders have the "potential" to win the 2010 FIVB Women's Club World Championship as they prepare to compete in the premier annual club tournament in Doha, Qatar from December 15-21.

This is the first Club World Championship appearance for the Istanbul-based team and if they do finish top of the podium, they will become the first Turkish side to achieve a feat managed only by clubs from Brazil and Italy in the past.

Cigdem said: "I can say that we are in the process of developing our game as a team. We have very experienced players and coaches who raise the prospect of winning the World Cup.

"The championship in Qatar is very important for our team. It is one of our goals this season and we will do our best to finish first by winning all the games. We are very excited to take part in this event and feel very honoured to have been invited."

Fenerbahce qualified for Doha as a wildcard entry after finishing runners-up in the CEV Champions League to Italy's Bergamo, who will also compete at the tournament. Cigdem says Bergamo will not be the only threat to the hopes of Jose Roberto Guimaraes's team, who face Brazil's Sollys Osasco in their opening match on 16 December.

Fenerbahce will also face Thailand's Federbrau in Pool A, and the skipper added: "I expect that we are going to see very high-quality games. I am looking forward to this cup as this is my first visit to Qatar."