Jen Kessy and April Ross set their sights on gold - VB Magazine

• Next in Line
    Talent and team chemistry are taking Jen Kessy and April Ross to the top of the game
    by Carrie Bowers

Falling just short of a childhood dream can often be more than just disappointing – it can be devastating. Professional beach volleyball standouts April Ross and Jen Kessy experienced one such disappointment after being narrowly edged out for the second USA berth to compete in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games by Elaine Youngs and Nicole Branagh. Despite the loss, however, the episode became pivotal to their respective professional careers.

Kessy and Ross, both former USC Trojans, did not wallow in their defeat, but went on to win gold medals at the last two international stops on the SWATCH FIVB World Tour. They finished the 2008 season as the number two team on tour in points, equaling gold medalists Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh’s highest tour finish in 2003.

"We would love to play [Misty and Kerri] again," said Kessy, who earned the 2009 AVP Queen of the Beach title. "We would love to see them now at World Champs in the final being where we are now, with more than one title; more than a fluke."

In 2009, Ross and Kessy missed the opportunity to meet the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Gold Medalists in the World Championship Final – but not on their own account. Walsh and May-Treanor were the team unable to participate in the final – not Ross and Kessy. Due to an Achilles injury for May-Treanor and the birth of Walsh’s first child, the famously dominant beach volleyball pair did not compete in the 2009 SWATCH FIVB World Tour at all.

Despite not meeting Walsh and May-Treanor in the final on the 4th of July in Stavanger, Norway, Kessy and Ross battled a formidable duo in Brazil’s Larissa Franca and Juliana Silva. The Brazilian pair have won 23 FIVB World Tour gold medals and three World Championship titles together. In a close two-set nail biter (30-28, 23-21), Kessy and Ross closed out the match with a tool off the Brazilian block from Kessy, and a stuff block by Ross to become World Champions.

"We had the goal of winning the World Championship since January of this year and every practice, training session and tournament leading up to Norway was geared toward this goal," said coach Jeff Conover. “For them to go into that tournament as the top seed and not lose a match, shows how truly amazing these two woman are and how badly they wanted to show the world that they are the best.”

For the up-and-coming pair, the prestigious title is almost surreal. "I still can’t believe we’re World Champs," Kessy said. "It’s just crazy."

The last 12 months of success for the new title holders, both natives of Orange County, California, is surprising on a personal level for Kessy since finalizing a divorce in late July – just weeks after winning the World Championship. Though recent, Kessy’s personal challenges went unnoticed by fans on the volleyball court as a testament to her professionalism and competitiveness.

"I think it affected me at the end of last year a lot more than it did this year,” Kessy said. “Probably more negatively, but I still managed to win Queen of the Beach, and we took first in the last few FIVB tourneys in 2008."

• Kessy’s resilience did not go unnoticed by partner Ross, a two-time NCAA champion out of USC, and master of poise in her own right.

"It was almost hard to believe she was having a hard year," Ross said. "I didn’t see it on the court at all because she’s amazing. As far as training goes, she’s been super focused."

As for Ross, she witnessed and was supportive of Kessy’s delicate circumstances, while she herself has experienced an arguably great year with her recent engagement to professional beach volleyball player Brad Keenan; and like Kessy, her play on the court has flourished.

"Nothing in my personal life has changed except the title of my relationship,” Ross said. “Since dating Brad it’s been easy to focus on volley. If anything, when I was single my volleyball career really sucked."

Humorous rapport and real friendship is perhaps what brought the 2009 World Champions substantial success over the past year, despite the polarities of their private lives. But according to Ross, it’s chemistry, not necessarily friendship alone, that makes their partnership work.

"Could we be good friends if we had bad [court] chemistry?” asks Ross. “Yes, probably. But we’re more supportive of each other [as friends]. Traveling together makes it better so we’re not missing our families. We also have fun and that translates to us playing better."

Considered to be young at 27 and already with an impressive resume in beach volleyball, Ross is practically bait for older players. She has been approached by veterans with the same experience as the 31-year-old Kessy, looking to capitalize on her youth to be able to continue to compete at the highest level. For Kessy, the practice is simply standard in the business of beach volleyball.

"It’s part of the game. It’s a business,” Kessy said. "She’s a star – not up and coming – a star. But at this point there’s only a few people above us in AVP and the rest of the world. Only a few people can approach her. And so far we’ve done pretty well and hopefully we’ll continue to do that."

For Ross, it’s not just the bond of friendship that keeps the partnership intact. Kessy was AVP "Best of the Beach" in 2008 and 2009, while Ross was MVP of the FIVB World Championship in 2009; both players are clearly competing at the highest level of the sport possible.

"It’s a no-brainer for me,” Ross said. “I don’t make decisions based on volley. Jen and I are on the up-and-up…and if I did base my decisions on volley we’d still be playing together."

• Q&A

1. It’s commonly recognized that you both are now in the best shape of your lives. What was the driving motivation to get in peak condition?
    JEN: April and I were in Moscow [last year on the FIVB Tour], and we had just found out we weren’t going to make the Olympics. We looked objectively at what we needed to do to never feel that way again. We knew we needed to lose weight to be quicker and be in good enough shape to not be tired in finals.

2. Skill-wise, what are you doing better as a team that enabled you to win the World Championships?
    JEN: April and I really, really, really focus on passing and setting. We’re one of the best sideout teams in the world. We’re confident we can always sideout. So by working on passing and setting we increase our chances even more of siding out. But defensively, we are not the best. Jeff has a heavy arm and he really challenges us in practice. Every practice we’re moving constantly and running down balls. Every drill we’re incorporating max effort into being mobile on defense. It’s very rare if we don’t run down a ball because we not only get angry at each other and hold one another accountable, but we get angry with ourselves.

3. Who is the more competitive of the two of you?
    APRIL: It’s weird. I always thought I was the most competitive person I ever knew. When I started playing with Jen I realized she’s more competitive than me. Off the court especially, because any stupid games we play, she wants to win and she always beats me.

4. Jen, you’re that competitive, but you’ve said before that you’d like April to win Queen of the Beach. Why is that?
    JEN: I always want to win but I think it’s such a cool title to have. I know how hard she works and I want to share the love. It’s just really cool to see your partner do well. I hope I win and if not, then I hope she does and I’ll get to be the one helping her do it in the final.

source: Volleyball Magazine