Natavan Gasimova-Azerbaijan's own Lo Bianco!

• Natavan Gasimova is one of the most talented Azerbaijani young volleyball players. She has been a member of Azerrail Baku and of Azerbaijani national team since 2003 and she is probably one of the finest discoveries made by national team head coach Faig Garayev. With her fast and versatile game she is quickly becoming a fan favorite so it is high time to get to know her better.

Hi, Natavan! Please, tell us something about yourself.

I was born on July 8th, 1985 in Nakhchivan. I finished school there and that's where I started playing volleyball. I became a member of Azerrail volleyball club and of the national team in 2003 and I have been representing my club and country ever since. I have loved playing sports ever since I was a child, but to tell you the truth, I never imagined that someday I would be doing it professionally.

So, what brought you to volleyball?

It happened by accident. We were playing volleyball at school and apparently coach Vugar Aliyev was watching our game. We didn’t know anything about it. Later, I received an offer to move to Baku to play here professionally. So, although I didn’t start playing professionally till I was 16 years old, I always had faith in myself and I believed that I can do it.

Wasn’t it too hard to pick up volleyball at such late age?

Of course it is much better if an athlete starts playing sports early, but I cannot say that it was that much difficult for me. I did work hard and my coaches and my teammates helped me a lot along the way, and I think I proved one more time that it is never too late to start anything as long as you do it with all your heart.

Are there any other athletes in your family?

No, it is only me.

Who discovered you as a setter?

It was my coach Vugar Aliyev. I used to play as a receiving outside hitter, and I was very happy with that because I enjoy playing back court. But then coach Aliyev told me that he thought I had talents and skill to be a setter and I agreed to try.

Is being left-handed an advantage or disadvantage for you?

Being left-handed is a big advantage for a setter. When I set the ball I can also easily attack and it confuses opponents.

We can often see you playing with your right hand and even with your feet, especially in defense. I have to say, you have amazing libero skills.

I do like to play with my feet in defense. I will reveal a little secret here: when I was a kid I used to play football with local boys, and this was how I got comfortable playing with feet. And I really like to play defense because this is the part of the game that I really enjoy.

Have you ever thought about changing your position?

I like both defending and attacking, but I'm OK with being a setter. Anyway, I think it is always good for a player to have extra skills.

Do you have any volleyball role model? Since you are a setter, I expect to hear some setter names...

Of course, I do. I think if you want to improve, you have to pick someone you can learn from. From this point of view, I can say that I admire our own Oksana Parkhomenko, Italian Lo Bianco and Japanese Yoshie Takeshita.

And talking about Lo Bianco, do you know that many volleyball fans call you the "Azerbaijani Lo Bianco". How does this affect you?

I don't mind it! It is a great honor to be compared to such a wonderful setter. It would be amazing to reach her skill level one day. I know that our styles are quite similar and I hope that I will be able to improve my skills and I know it will make all those people who believe in me and support me very happy.

What can you say about your fellow national team member and setter Oksana Parkhomenko?

I did not say Oksana was my volleyball role model just because she is my friend and teammate! Oksana is a real leader on the court and she never loses control and she is always very calm and cool and you can always count on her to make the right decision in a critical situation. She is also very warm and very friendly and she is always there to help her younger teammates. Even though our styles are different there is still a lot I can learn from her. She has everything that any player needs.

It is no secret that Oksana’s departure to Dynamo Moscow also opened up an opportunity for you to showcase your skills and you have used this opportunity to its fullest. What do you think about it?

I agree that this was my big chance to prove myself, but I cannot say that I used it to its fullest. I think I still have a lot to prove and a lot to work on. I just hope that I'll have more opportunities to show what I'm capable of. They say that setter's prime age begins at 25, so I guess it is now the time for me to start achieving my goals.

What kind of game is your favorite?

I like to play it fast and non-traditionally. I like to get everyone involved, but sometimes I prefer playing through the center.

For a period of time you were also the national team captain and you left an impression of someone who is very confident and you acted like a true leader. Is this also who you are outside the court?

When our national team was participating in tournaments I was indeed the team captain and I have to say it is a huge responsibility. I liked it a lot and it was a great honor for me to lead the team. As to your question, I think I'm pretty much the same person both on and off the court.

What about the career abroad? Have you ever considered that?

I know that many foreign teams have been interested in you this season. That's what I heard too. They told me that I was on transfer list of several foreign clubs and probably one day I will try myself out playing for some ambitious team outside Azerbaijan. But that only time would tell.

What do you think about the level of the Azerbaijani Superleague?

I think the level of the Superleague is improving quickly and I see big progress being made. Today we have very high level professionals playing in our league and our teams continue to attract star players from outside of Azerbaijan. Only two years ago we could not have imagined players of world class caliber coming to Azerbaijan and today we have a very competitive league.

Does it mean that you may prefer to stay in Azerbaijan?

If I’m happy, then I don’t see why not. The main reason for me to stay is to play regularly in the competitive environment. This is the single most important reason for me right now. Money is also important, but to be able to play in the starting six and to continue to improve is what gives me the satisfaction.

Are there any people you wish to thank for being who you today?

I want to thank everybody who helped me along the way - all my friends, my coaches and my teammates. Without them I could have never done it. And I thank my family and all volleyball fans for their undying support!

• Very nice interview. She has a long way to the future :thumbup: