Volleyball, Asian Games Doha Qatar

• Saudis spike top seeds Japan
    Monday, 11 December, 2006

Saudi Arabia caused the biggest shock of the men’s volleyball competition by ousting top seeds and favourites Japan 25-20, 27-25, 25-21 in the quarterfinals at Al-Rayyan Indoor Hall on Monday 11 December.

Japan were one of six nations – the five who contested the recent World Championships and hosts Qatar – given a bye direct into the quarterfinals but they made too many mistakes and were made to pay by the spirited Saudis.

Both teams began with fast play and opted for hard attacks down the lines, before a crucial error by Kenji Onoue caused problems for an already exposed Japanese defence to allow Khalel H Al Bhrani to tip over to take the first set.

A wayward Japanese spike gave Saudi Arabia a tight second set and some solid attacking play ensure they would not be denied a 3-0 victory over the team who had finished eighth in the World Championships – some nine places higher than the next best Asian team China.

“It’s a small secret, team spirit. It was one for all, all for one. We play for everyone, players work for me, I work for my players. That is our teamwork,” Saudi Arabia coach Svircev Radoslav said afterwards.

Saudi Arabia now face China in the first semifinal on Wednesday 13 December, the Chinese having battled past Kazakshtan 25-11, 25-20, 24-26, 25-20 in one hour and 31 minutes.

The last quarterfinal of the day pitted Qatar against Bahrain, the other team besides Saudi Arabia to have to qualify for this stage. However Bahrain’s impressive run would finally come to end with a 25-23, 25-16, 25-18 defeat.

A close first set which saw the lead change hands several times ended in Qatar’s favour with three Bahraini errors and then a spike down the line by Mohamed Jumah clinched the second set for the hosts.

Qatar led from the start of the third set with Jumah and Saed Al Hitmi causing Bahrain all sorts of problems and it got worse when players disputed a referee’s call and a yellow card was handed out.

This merely fired up the Bahraini players and they channelled their aggression into the match, but it was too late for a comeback and Qatar ran out 3-0 winners to set up a last four clash with defending champions Korea.

*source: http://www.doha-2006.com/gis/m…flag=1&pagenum=1&id=33602

• China spike spot in semis

The big boys entered the men’s volleyball tournament at the quarterfinal stage on Monday and China immediately made their presence felt by grinding out a 3–1 win over a spirited Kazakhstan side to progress to the semifinals.

Despite a shaky start the Chinese took the match 25–21, 25–20, 24–26, 25–20 at the Al-Rayyan Indoor Hall. China opened the game with a service error and their over-eagerness continued as they served two more errors. Towering Kazakh captain Svyatoslav Miklashevich was slow to develop his attack and his shots were inaccurate. A crucial block in the closing points gave China the first set.

Kazakhstan gave away valuable points from service errors in the second set. A setting error by Anton Rubtsov at a crucial point in the game added to Kazakhstan's problems. China's captain Sui Shengsheng drilled home points down the middle with his menacing spikes, giving his team a convincing 25–20 win in the second set.

The Kazakhs displayed a more disciplined defence at the back but their blocks in the third set were inadequate and allowed China to attack point after point. Then a brilliant save by libero Vladimir Derevyanko inspired a Kazakh comeback. A great spike and block saved the set for Kazakhstan 26–24.

Net mistakes late in the game hurt Kazakhstan's chances of rising from their defensive run. Rubstov's net touch sealed their fate 20–25. China will play either Japan or Saudi Arabia in the semifinal on Wednesday 13 December, depending upon the result of their encounter which will get underway at 18:00.

China’s coach Zhou Jianan said: "The players were quite nervous initially and they made quite a number of mistakes. The whole team played very well. The captain played his attack and quick spike well, too."

On their possible match-up with Japan, he said: "Japan finished No.8 in the recent 2006 World Championship and China finished No.15. Japan is good and they are strong. We will just try to play our best in the match against them."

Vladimir Kondra, Kazakhstan’s coach, said: "The reception and service was very bad, it gave a chance to China to win in four sets. A lot of our players played very bad. The Chinese were more lucky than us.

"Our players fixed their mistakes and they did well in reception and service. Our players did better than China that's why we deserved that win on the third set." On the critical fourth set, he said: "My players were under pressure, they were scared to lose this match. There was no chance for us towards the end, that's why we played badly."

*source: http://www.doha-2006.com/gis/m…ews/article.aspx?id=32013

• Quote from "LeeRah"

Saudis spike top seeds Japan

Saudi Arabia caused the biggest shock of the men’s volleyball competition by ousting top seeds and favourites Japan 25-20, 27-25, 25-21 in the quarterfinals at Al-Rayyan Indoor Hall on Monday 11 December.

the dark horse of asian game saudia arabia shocked many teams but today they did not deliver the shock wave after loss to china by 2-3

after the chinese leads 2 sets, saudi arabia come back with two sets with a slight edge for the next set. with less errors, china took the set and the chance into the final

the scores are: 25-20, 25-11, 23-25, 22-25, 15-13. china will meet the winner of the combat between Quatar and Korea. the final will be at 1:00 early on the 14th december

yesterday, china women volleyball team lost first set to japan by 22-25, china came up with 25-10, 25-23, 25-16 to win the game and the gold and remain unchallenged in asia

while the semi finalist, thailand lost str8 sets to taipei and the medalists are china, gold, japan, silver and taipei with the last medal bronze to go home with

• if only the japanese were taller, they could beat china.
    but i'm glad they won at least one set.

• Quote from "cosmid"

if only the japanese were taller, they could beat china.
    but i'm glad they won at least one set.

yeah, they are a bit short; in a way, they are taller than thailand and taipei,
    still japan could storm thru Kaskhztan if they meet
    i also think the asian women volley going downhills, european teams are on the way up :D
    asian teams really have to go solid defense: korea use taller players against china but they lost bothe the game and the advantage of solid defense, i think thats why they lost :lol:

• Quote from "colossus"

yeah, they are a bit short; in a way, they are taller than thailand and taipei,
    still japan could storm thru Kaskhztan if they meet
    i also think the asian women volley going downhills, european teams are on the way up :D
    asian teams really have to go solid defense: korea use taller players against china but they lost bothe the game and the advantage of solid defense, i think thats why they lost :lol:

european teams are already catching up with the speed of the asians.