Maren Brinker, a winner

• This is a story about a german volleyball player Maren Brinker. Is in german and if someone can translate it would be great.

What few people know is that Brinker has Type 1 diabetes.

If I liked the Brinker, imagine now.

• Maren is one of my favorites volleyball player :super:

• I could translate the article for you, German is not difficult for me ;) but Matthias could do better :teach:

Matthias ? ;)

• :) I had asked this afternoon Matthias in his facebook to translate for me.. :whistle: hehehe He said would be ok, tomorrow he will see it, so I guess wont be a problem for him to put it here too. ^^ :drink:

• :) I had asked this afternoon Matthias in his facebook to translate for me.. :whistle: hehehe He said would be ok, tomorrow he will see it, so I guess wont be a problem for him to put it here too. ^^ :drink:

Allright :D That means I can be lazy concerning this :lol:

• Maren Brinker - a good attitude in every way

The 23 year old national team player works with success - in sports and in her personal Diabetes management.

Leverkusen, 8. December 2009 - a normal day in the life of Maren Brinker: the 23 year old NT player just returned from WGP in Tokio and is already back in the weights room. Before going to university the student practices stamina and technique for 2 hours. In the afternoon after classes there is a 2 hour tactical practice with the team. She is full of energy and unstoppable. Cinema, cooking, meeting friends - there is also room for hobbies in the everyday life of the athlete. It's not a big surprise that the volleyball player manages her Diabetes by the way. She measures her blood sugar 5-6 times per day. A constantly good blood sugar setting is important especially for her as athlete - Maren Brinker knows that. To have control over the level of her blood sugar she uses a computer program (it's advertising for Bayer's product here). Since falling ill with Type-1 Diabetes in August 2002, Maren Brinker also worked hard in this area - and won. "As I have good control over my blood sugar level, I manage to give the disease not a big role in my life. For me, Diabetes and high level sports don't exclude each other."

A life for the sport - a life with Diabetes

Volleyball is in Maren Brinker's genes. Her mother was a player too, her father was a coach, as little girl she spent every free minutes in a gymnasium. Her sports career started with athletics. In triple jump she mainly practiced stamina and jump power, a good preparation for Volleyball. With 9 years she dared to go on court for the first time. It became obvious very soon that Maren Brinker is an exceptional talent. With support from her father, 7 years later she entered high level sports. In the next summer came her breakthrough: with just 16 years she was called to youth NT.

But the young athlete became ill. She quickly lost weight, felt exhausted and tired and had unstoppable thirst. With 1,86 height she weighed only 48kg. The diagnosis from the doctor was a shock: Maren Brinker, just called to youth NT, has Type-1 Diabetes.

"Diabetes seemed manageable - if everyone helps"

The first weeks after that were hard: "I didn't know what to expect and was very scared that I might have to retire from high level sports." But Maren decided to overcome her fear of injections and to fight. After seeing a diabetologist the young player felt more safe. A 2 week long course from a Diabetes advisor gave her a good feeling. "Diabetes seemed manageable - if everyone helps". Maren Brinker received support from all areas of her life. Her mother changed the nutrition for the whole family. Together with the director of her school her father talked to her schoolmates about the disease. Friends asked instead of excluding her from the group. And also her biggest worry didn't come true: because of her good blood sugar setting Maren could go on playing in youth NT.

Success in all areas

Today Maren Brinker is an important part in women's NT, she just returned from Tokio where she achieved 3rd rank in WGP with the team. She signed a 1 year contract with USC Münster and is in the last semester of her studies for primary school teacher at the University of Wuppertal. "At university there are no problems at all and also in my sports career I had to interrupt only 2 practice sessions because of Diabetes." To be well prepared for the set breaks, she goes into the matches with a high blood sugar value of about 200 and measures several times during the matches. "No opponent ever talked to me about my disease and most think that my measuring instrument is a MP3 player. I measure within seconds and don't have to write down the results, the instrument saves them. There is not much time between the sets, so I look closer at the results at home with my laptop.", she says. And Maren Brinker is already on her way again. It's time to move from Leverkusen to Münster where she will dedicate herself to her job in her new club. Diabetes and high level sport go along well, in this case they really do.

• Vielen Dank für die Ubersetzung, Matthias :drink: :drink: :drink:

• Maren making the measurement the level of your blood sugar.

Beautiful girl. Determined woman. A warrior!

• I like her very much, although so often I heard people complain her bad performance on the court. After reading this article I think I like her more since she strongly went over the disease by herself. She is definitely a girl with great determination, I presume, and of course a good looking! :love: