Bulgarian NT 2015

• I seem to be the only one noticing Aleksiev is in the team for the European games, which makes it almost certain Bulgaria will play without him in the WL and that makes me ecstatic. Finally a coach grows some and decides it's time younger guys to show what they're capable of as starters.

And it's evident the Bratoev twins were indeed troublesome, seeing as they're also in the European games list, especially given the Konstantinov said the WL will be a priority

Todor Aleksiev didn't enjoy a good season in Russia. The decision to send him in Baku seems logical based on the fact that his shape has gradually sunk since even before the WCH. I don't think it has to do with finally getting rid of him, I guess Konstantinov will use him again if he shows progress. Let's face it, there are better OHs right now, in better shape, I wouldn't make much drama about that decision, but you are probably right - it will be interesting to see a NT without him for once.

About the Bratoev brothers - yes, I also think Konstantinov doesn't fancy their lack of discipline and shows it all the time. However, it will be a terrible mistake not to have Georgi Bratoev for the ECH, in my opinion.

Still don't get it why Nikolay Nikolov is with the team for EG not for WL

This is the only real question mark regarding the EG squad. There's actually a very strong bond between the Bratoev twins and Nikolay Nikolov, so maybe there's a personal decision here, so that the three of them can play together. For the same reason Nikolay Nikolov joined Montana, not his first club Neftochimik, for the Cup finals, so he can play with Georgi Bratoev. However, such a situation, of course, would be unprofessional as he would be needed in the World League. There is nothing more we know about this decision.

How's Vladimir Nikolov's current form? Has anyone seen him playing the past year?

Vladimir Nikolov had a great season in France. And not only based on his 37 years (if I am not mistaken about his age), but due to quite impressive numbers throughout the entire campaign. Lyon were very close to the final as well. He is in shape, but he will surely miss the long trips to Canada, Cuba and Argentina, so he can be ready for the finals. He is rumoured to be in the group for the 2016 Summer Olympics as well, so maybe we will see him a bit longer with the national team jersey.

• This is the only real question mark regarding the EG squad. There's actually a very strong bond between the Bratoev twins and Nikolay Nikolov, so maybe there's a personal decision here, so that the three of them can play together. For the same reason Nikolay Nikolov joined Montana, not his first club Neftochimik, for the Cup finals, so he can play with Georgi Bratoev. However, such a situation, of course, would be unprofessional as he would be needed in the World League. There is nothing more we know about this decision.

I'm confused ?( but thanks for your answer, anyway. I can't catch up with all the news so if you also could tell me if there's chance to see guys from squad for Baku on ECh - I would appreciate that a lot :)

• I'm confused ?( but thanks for your answer, anyway. I can't catch up with all the news so if you also could tell me if there's chance to see guys from squad for Baku on ECh - I would appreciate that a lot :)

These are all speculations, we don't know for sure why Nikolay Nikolov is in the Baku team, I don't either, so you have no reason to be confused ;) Yes, ECH is in September, there's plenty of time for everyone to make it to the ECH list. This is just a separation for the WL and the EG.

• No speculations anymore, Tsvetan Sokolov successfully underwent a shoulder surgery and will allegedly be out until the end of the calendar year.

• Can anyone comment on the possibility that kaziyski will be back to NT this year? Thanks!
    http://www.worldofvolley.com/N…-yes-to-konstantinov.html

We all hope so, due to the fact the Kaz will play in Japan from now on, we all need to see him in international matches

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• Can anyone comment on the possibility that kaziyski will be back to NT this year? Thanks!
    http://www.worldofvolley.com/N…-yes-to-konstantinov.html

Even if we assume he talked to Plamen Konstantinov, he won't come back without some changes in the way the federation deals with contracts, young players, clubs, etc. I seriously doubt he will just say yes without any serious demand. And it is perfectly clear that the Bulgarian Volleyball Federation won't change a damn thing, so, to me personally, Kaziyski's return to the NT is still science fiction. But I have been proven wrong before (his and Stoychev's move to Ankara, the contract he allegedly signed with Panasonic Panthers now, and so on). His recent decisions are a mystery, so I won't bet money he won't return at all :)

• Even if we assume he talked to Plamen Konstantinov, he won't come back without some changes in the way the federation deals with contracts, young players, clubs, etc. I seriously doubt he will just say yes without any serious demand. And it is perfectly clear that the Bulgarian Volleyball Federation won't change a damn thing, so, to me personally, Kaziyski's return to the NT is still science fiction. But I have been proven wrong before (his and Stoychev's move to Ankara, the contract he allegedly signed with Panasonic Panthers now, and so on). His recent decisions are a mystery, so I won't bet money he won't return at all :)

I see. Let's see how things go. Next year is Olympics. Perhaps Kaziyski wants to get hold of this last chance to participate.

• Bratoevv and Gotsev will travel injured to Baku. Bratoev has muscle tear. I wonder what exactly are they doing with the fitness, some curls for the girls may be?

• Bratoevv and Gotsev will travel injured to Baku. Bratoev has muscle tear. I wonder what exactly are they doing with the fitness, some curls for the girls may be?

Valentin Bratoev doesn't warm up the way a professional volleyball player is supposed to. He is "lazy" doing so. As a result, he got injured while jump serving or attacking. At least this is the information that was released, he has had no previous history of muscle problems. This might be the main reason. Just so other people know, the two accidents happened during a friendly game in Sofia against Algeria (preparation for Baku, 3-0 for Bulgaria, I have provided no information in the Friendlies section because I thought the game was irrelevant). Svetoslav Gotsev landed incorrectly after a block. Luckily, the head coach Nikolay Zhelyazkov said both V. Bratoev and Gotsev should be able to recover during the main phase of the tournament in Baku. About Bratoev I am sure, I can't say the same regarding Gotsev.

I also wanted to point out that, to me, 2015 is probably the best year for the development of the national team ever since I follow volleyball. Thanks to the EG in Baku and to the Division II Final Four in Varna, we can finally give court time to multiple new players at the same time without fearing failure. We usually try out only a couple of new names during the WL. However, this season things are different. I was away for the weekend and I was very glad when I saw the number of players who performed against Cuba. Some key players are finally enjoying some rest or separate training sessions, whereas the others are obviously having fun on the world journey. Such a variety of names is uncommon for our NT and I am very glad it is happening.

• Konstantinov's wide selection for the ECH:

Setters: Andrey Zhekov, Georgi Bratoev, Lyubomir Agontsev
    Opposites: Vladimir Nikolov, Nikolay Uchikov, Boyan Yordanov
    Outside hitters: Nikolay Penchev, Todor Aleksiev, Todor Skrimov, Stanislav Petkov, Miroslav Gradinarov
    Middle blockers: Nikolay Nikolov, Teodor Todorov, Viktor Yosifov, Svetoslav Gotsev
    Liberos: Teodor Salparov, Martin Bozhilov, Vladislav Ivanov

• What does this list mean/include? FIrst of all, the undoubtedly good news is that Georgi Bratoev, Nikolay Uchikov, and Boyan Yordanov return to the main squad. Uchikov refused to play for the NT for some time, I don't know what has made him change his mind. Perhaps the event at home was a big incentive. Boyan is also back, but I am not really sure how fit he might be for such an important tournament. He is fresh for sure, his shape, or rather level of recovery, is the big question mark here.

There are rumours in Bulgaria that Georgi Bratoev will start the preparation for the new season in Trento along with 4-5 of Stoychev's players. If true, this means the setter will decline his NT call-up. The story/outcome will be revealed soon. After all, Georgi has been waiting for this chance for quite a while.

The missing players. First of all, Georgi's twin, Valentin. This certainly means Konstantinov has an issue with him/both of them. Valentin will obviously have a free summer. Danail Milushev is another player not in the list, but it was about time this happened, he barely stepped in as a reliable first-choice opposite. The list of OHs is also a bit short for a preparation period. It would be devastating to have Gradinarov instead of Petkov at the ECH as the latter is a clear spiker, an alternative to Aleksiev, whereas Penchev and Skrimov should handle the reception.

• Also, today Valentin Bratoev has announced via Facebook that he quits the national team, obviously, although not officially, affected by the decisions of Plamen Konstantinov. I hope he reconsiders one day, especially when the next head coach comes after Konstantinov. It won't be that far in the future for sure.

• Very emotional, I would say :huh: Plamen won't be the head coach forever, as you said, and Valentin still has some time to play ahead. Surely he won't even remember this decision when he'll cool off a bit. I wonder how this case will affect Georgi...

• Guys, what's going on in bulgarian volleyball recently? Because I have very little time to keep up with the news but I follow the group против уволнението на Радо Стойчев on facebook and clearly I see there is a lot goin' on. I can understand maybe every third word and what I read is something about a project of volley school by Kaziyski and many flashy news about new БФБ president! Where one of the candidate is Lubo Ganev. Really, I can find exactly нищо in polish media, nor anything in english anywhere.

• Guys, what's going on in bulgarian volleyball recently? Because I have very little time to keep up with the news but I follow the group против уволнението на Радо Стойчев on facebook and clearly I see there is a lot goin' on. I can understand maybe every third word and what I read is something about a project of volley school by Kaziyski and many flashy news about new БФБ president! Where one of the candidate is Lubo Ganev. Really, I can find exactly нищо in polish media, nor anything in english anywhere.

You won't find much because there is not much going on :) The news is mainly on off-court topics. Yes, Stoychev and Kaziyski opened up a volleyball school for younger players in Sofia. First, they were prompted by parents who have no idea where to send their children to practice volleyball (due to financial and managerial problems in most clubs) and because they created this organization whose purpose is to help the volleyball development in the country. It is no public secret that the federation does little about it. Also, there are rumours that Lazarov will resign and apply for a position at CEV, but he is still a candidate at the next federation's elections along with his protege Lyubo Ganev. It is pretty much the same if one will leave and the other will come instead. There is a normal and relatively (at least more) trustworthy candidate, Krasimir Iliev, who, however, is unlikely to win. Also, these elections are almost always unannounced and held behind closed doors, so that we have no media coverage and no new "unwanted" candidates.

The national team is preparing for the ECH, they have nothing else to think about. They are probably going to play two friendlies against Slovakia, then they are looking for two matches with another opponent. The last friendlies before the ECH should be with Serbia. That's all in Bulgarian volleyball these days.

• Merci, Yavor :) And by the way, happy birthday, many better days coming for you and your team! ;)

• Boyan Yordanov has been sent to his new club Tomis Constanta as he hasn't fully recovered yet. He finally started playing with a ball but he soon felt pain in his left shoulder. The Bulgarian opposites for the ECH will be Vladimir Nikolov and Nikolay Uchikov. Some time ago the third libero Martin Bozhilov was also released. The only question is now who among the OHs and the setters will stay home. Andrey Zhekov hasn't played much lately as he also suffered an injury. The medical team are doing the best to make him ready for the championship. Rumours say he might need a surgery, but maybe only after the tournament is over.