11. Beauvais ** 26
    12. Toulouse 20
    13. Nice * 19
    14. St-Quentin ° 2

* one game less
    ** two games less
    ° one game more

Comments:

Main news of the week-end: Maréchal got an additional 3 months suspension from AFLD (French AntiDoping Agency), so it looks like the season is over for him unless he tries to appeal the decision. It looks like AFLD considered the 3 months suspension from French Volleyball Federation was too light a punishment for failing to declare training location.
    So overall Maréchal got a 6 months suspension because he got in a sportsman sample with huge obligations (declaring a place where he could be find at some time everyday ! ) and failed these obligations three times. As for myself, I really think that the AFLD is only looking for examples. They want to take big sanctions against the athletes because the system is pretty new and they want to take a good start about it. But this is leading them to stupid decision, (like a 1 year suspension against former 400m relay World Champion and 400m individual vice World Champion Marc Raquil for not declaring his position in 2009. Raquil don't even have a license anymore and did not run in competition since summer 2008 ...) and the decision against Maréchal is completely unfair since most of the other VB players in France - not to mention other countries - don't belong to the sample.
    Consequences for Poitiers might be huge in case of an injury because they won't be allowed to hire other players. Anyway, the team proved to play well without him, and hopefully neither Rivera nor Lopes will get injured.

Now about the results:

Nice fought well against Sète (with Simeonov almost not playing) and get one point. I think this is worrying for Sète because Nice is missing two starting outside hitters. Since Toulouse got defeated in Montpellier, the fight for avoiding relegation is still very close.
    After defeating Tours, Cannes was unable to get points in Tourcoing. With this victory, Tourcoing looks now in a good position to reach playoff ... Should they avoid injuries. The last result of interest was Nantes's victory against Ajaccio. Nantes now has a 6 and 5 points lead on Paris and Tourcoing which they needed before playing against Poitiers and Tours. On the other hand, Ajaccio need to cover a 3 points deficit on Tourcoing with a tough schedule (home games against Tours, Montpellier and Beauvais). Paris and Tourcoing will face next week and none of the team can afford to lose .

• Sete-Nice tiebreak 25-06 :cheesy:

• This situation with Marechal is a scandal ! OK he made mistake but as I know he never had problems with doping and bureaucracy ruined his season. He is NT player not some junkie and they treat him like that. Shameful...

For me most interesting match in next round will be played in Toulouse. Toulouse is going down, fired Smolka who is fault for bad results this season (more poor roster) and IMO he would be decisive factor in avoiding relegation. Nice looks much better than Toulouse atm, despite they lost 5 out of last 6 matches. Their block looks impressive, especially Ah-Kong. Damiao also caught decent form and I hope Mrozek or Furneau will recover until next match. Toulouse is still without Ojansivu, probably atmosphere isn't great there. Nice have match less than Toulouse (vs Paris) and if they manage to win next week they'll avoid League B despite they have harder schedule. I see another chance for Nice in the penultimate round they will be hosts to Ajaccio, moreover if Ajaccio lose chances for PO :whistle:

• Nobody finds these numbers odd? :whistle:

• Nobody finds these numbers odd? :whistle:

Just a stat mistake on the stat sheet. The last set result was 06-15.

About Nice, Furnau need shoulder surgery (I don't know when this will be performed, maybe it's been done already) but he won't be back this season. Mrozek is expected to come back, but I don't know when exactly.

Toulouse hired Klosterman to replace Ojansivu.
    It's right the next game in Toulouse will be very important. After that, Nice will have no easy game, but opportunity to grab a few points (Paris twice, Ajaccio, Cannes) and will end against Tours. Toulouse on the other hand has tough games (Beauvais, Rennes, Poitiers) but will end up against St Quentin.
    So basically, you can say that Nice need to score 4 points more than Toulouse before last round ...

• I see Toulouse in Ligue B next season, don't know why but I've strong feeling Nice will stay in Ligue A :whistle: Nice already against Toulouse have chance to save their status as I don't see how Toulouse will take points vs Beauvais (althought Goats are shaky but need points for PO), Rennes and especially Poitiers. As I said in previous post I expect Nice to beat Paris and Ajaccio if Corsicans lost chances for PO. Atm Toulouse is really poor that I wouldn't be surprised to see St.Quentin beating them :rolll:

All in all we can expect interesting last five rounds :drink:

• I've heard from my cousin who lives in Paris that some matches are in the web and on CANAL + Sport.

It's good that French fans have more volleyball to watch:)

There are a few games on the internet. Canal + Sport (Sport +) is also broadcasting a handfull of games every season. b

Tonight, the game Poitiers vs Nantes will be broadcast on the internet by France 3 (one of the french public channels with local programs). In case of other sports, these kind of web broadcast are often limited to France because of broadcasting rights, but maybe this will not be the case for VB. So you might try it there: http://video-direct.france3.fr/player.php?id=1051 (game starting at 8 pm, broadcast starting at 7:30 pm)

Otherwise the game Rennes vs Nantes is available on the local TV website of TV Rennes . I don't know if there is any country limitation but i doubt it. This game was played on Frebruary the 25th.

• 9th day result:

Beauvais 3/2 Sète 25-20 19-25 22-25 25-21 16-14

Great victory for Beauvais. Winning against Tours next friday will not be easy, and winning in Sète in two weeks and a half will be tougher as well. But they needed to take some points against better ranking teams, and that might help them to gather confidence. With this one they are now only 2 points behind Tourcoing, with a slightly easier schedule.

22nd day results:

Toulouse 3/1 Nice 22-25 25-19 25-21 34-32 P2
    Poitiers 3/1 Nantes Rezé 25-13 19-25 25-19 25-15 P2

Toulouse got the 3 points against Nice and probably made a huge step to remain in ligue A. Toulouse has 3 tough games, then the last day against St Quentin. So we might expect them to get only 3 more points. Since Nice is now trailing by 4, they now have to get 7 points out of the last 5 games they have. Winning home games against Paris and Ajaccio won't be enough, so they'll have to get points either in Paris or against Cannes. They might also expect something from playing in Tours for the last round because Tours's focus will be on French cup and playoff. Yet , Tours will be aware of the situation and will probably try to play fair.

Ranking:

1. Poitiers ° 52
    2. Tours * 48
    3. Sète 40
    4. Montpellier 36
    5. Rennes ° 36
    6. Nantes Rezé ° 35
    7. AS Cannes 33
    8. Tourcoing 30
    9. Paris * 29
    10. Beauvais * 28
    11. Ajaccio 27
    12. Toulouse ° 23
    13. Nice 19
    14. St-Quentin ° 2

* one game less
    ° one game more

• 22nd day results:

AS Cannes 3/0 Montpellier 25-21 25-18 25-20 P2
    Paris 1/3 Tourcoing 22-25 25-21 24-26 14-25 P2
    Ajaccio 0/3 Tours 14-25 23-25 27-29 P2

Ranking:

1. Poitiers 52
    2. Tours * 51
    3. Sète * 40
    4. Montpellier 36
    5. Rennes 36
    6. AS Cannes 35
    7. Nantes Rezé 35
    8. Tourcoing 33
    9. Paris * 29
    10. Beauvais ** 28
    11. Ajaccio 27
    12. Toulouse 23
    13. Nice * 19
    14. St-Quentin 2

* one game less
    * two games less

Comments:

The battle for playoff is getting clearer:
    - Tours and Poitiers will end 1st and 2nd. Since the final will be played in one game in Paris, no wonder who is first. So the teams won't compete for it.
    - Fight for rank 3 and 4 will be big. Sète has some advantage with 4 points and one more game to play. But they have to go to Rennes and will play home against Poitiers. Rennes will host both Sète and Cannes, they are in great shape right now, and if they win those games they should be all right. Out of a game against Tours, Montpellier does not have such a tough schedule. Yet they lost their last 4 away games and have to play in Ajaccio and Tourcoing, which is never easy. Cannes has the toughest schedule of all. I think that's going to be tough for them. Nantes also has a tough schedule , I think a playoff ticket will be enough for them.
    - About playoff qualification, Tourcoing has now a good head on Paris and Beauvais, but they have games to play. I don't think Paris can make it, even if they win in Nice, but the fight between Beauvais and Tourcoing will be close. Beauvais has won 7/10 in 2011 and Tourcoing is on a 5 win streak. In fact I think it's not impossible to see both Tourcoing and Beauvais finishing better than Nantes or Cannes if one of these team play bad in the end of the season.
    - Ajaccio is now out of playoff for sure.

• Oh yes I forgot about it !

L'Equipe announced last thursday that Pujol was been given the right to resume his career.

• Sete have three really hard matches in front... first BOUC, Rennes away and Poitiers home. IMO even if they lose these matches, last two games are pretty easy as I don't see how St.Quentin can endanger them, Nantes will be satisfied with PO spot so I expect them to drop in form. Montpellier lost form, took 1 set in three matches away. They have two ''easier'' matches now, first Paris home where I expect easy win for them and Ajaccio on Corsica but I doubt in Corsicans motivation as they lost PO chances.

Beauvais have good schedule but they have one big problem IMO. They must have 2-3 ''in mood'' players for every match as Bartik can't do everything by himself. They must take all points from last 4 matches and wait Tourcoing, Nantes and Cannes to make wrong step. IMO that can hardly happen as 5 and 7 pts are big advantage and they must face Cannes on Cote d' Azur. Tourcoing caught form in right moment so even they have harder schedule (Nantes & Tours away) they are safe in PO with home wins vs Ajaccio and Montpellier.

What to say about Cannes :what: I expected them to lose some matches after Moreau injury but they lost only one, in Lille. With wins over Tours, Montpellier, Ajaccio they got confidence, Feughouo is playing great, Moreau absence isnt noticable at all. But hard schedule is in front of them, so I still expect them to collapse :rolll: but they will keep PO place IMO :whistle:

I crossed Paris as serious PO contender long time ago :rolll: :rolll:

I still believe in Nice, no matter they lost vs Toulouse. Toulouse have 4 pts more but harder schedule, Nice have Paris, Cannes and Ajaccio at home I can imagine them taking 7 pts from these matches. :whistle:

• I still believe in Nice, no matter they lost vs Toulouse. Toulouse have 4 pts more but harder schedule, Nice have Paris, Cannes and Ajaccio at home I can imagine them taking 7 pts from these matches. :whistle:

Nice has to play without Mrozek and Furneau until the end of the season, and Simeonov has not even entered the court so far (I don't know what's wrong with him).
    Even assuming they have an "easy" (with the team they have now I don't think any game can be considered "easy") schedule, I doubt they'll score 7 points in 5 games when that's what they got for the last 11 games they played.

• Nice has to play without Mrozek and Furneau until the end of the season, and Simeonov has not even entered the court so far (I don't know what's wrong with him).
    Even assuming they have an "easy" (with the team they have now I don't think any game can be considered "easy") schedule, I doubt they'll score 7 points in 5 games when that's what they got for the last 11 games they played.

this is big blow...i thought Mrozek is back this week :white: yet they showed great fighting spirit and they wont surrender easy.. dont think I'm Nice fan or sth like that :rolll: IMO even without Mrozek and Furneau they're capable for upset, in home matches for sure :whistle:

Match vs Ajaccio is perfect for Nice as Corsicans are out from PO, motivation shouldnt be high, maybe Paris will lose PO chances and come in Nice without motivation :whistle: vs Cannes is local derby, everything can happen there. In those matches current form, injuries dont count. Nice already beat Cannes this season, quite easy and only Takaniko missed.

Is there new PO system as u mentioned PO qualies :what: :what:

• Is there new PO system as u mentioned PO qualies :what: :what:

The only change is the final. it wil be play in one game in Paris. (that's supposed to help with TV coverage, like in Italy)

Otherwise, 1/4 finals will be 1 vs 8 , 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.
    First game at best ranked team, return game at worst ranked team, and in case of a tie in victory, a third game will be played at best ranked team.

So most of the team are now likely to qualify to the playoff but they stil have to fight to get homecourt advantage. That's why I made a distinction between teams that could end 3 or 4 and teams that would only fight to be in the 8 top teams.

• 14th day result:

Beauvais 1/3 Tours 22-25 25-23 19-25 23-25 P2

Great game from Nils NIelsen, without any doubt the best medical joker of the league so far this season. Granvorka passed really good, but was awful in spiking (5/18 ) and had almost no impact on serve. Tours had a few mistakes (especially in two first sets) but outside hitters outplayed Beauvais's. MBs were not really efficient but helped the team to dig the balls pretty well overall.

Ranking:

1. Tours 54
    2. Poitiers 52
    3. Sète * 40
    4. AS Cannes 36
    5. Montpellier 36
    6. Rennes 36
    7. Nantes Rezé 35
    8. Tourcoing 33
    9. Paris * 29
    10. Beauvais * 28
    11. Ajaccio 27
    12. Toulouse 23
    13. Nice * 19
    14. St-Quentin 2

* one game less

• Award for biggest chokers goes to Sete :rolll: :rolll: :obey:

Sete led 2-0 and 24-21 vs Rennes and managed to lose 2-3 :rolll: :obey: they kept 3rd place but now Cannes is just 2 pts behind them and those guys are serious :whistle: Cannes beat Nice in Cote d' Azur derby and pushed Nice in very hard position :whistle: also Rennes joined battle for 3rd place and they have easiest schedule IMO. Toulouse in next round, then direct clash with Cannes at home and Paris away in last round. Cannes have two home matches but Beauvais and Poitiers are strong opponents and Rennes away. Sete also faces Poitiers, relegated St.Quentin away and Nantes in last round. Besides mutual matches big influence on battle for 3rd position will have Poitiers (15 wins in row) because all contenders will play vs Rouzier & co. :whistle:

Pretty strange round :what: Montpellier lost home match vs Paris and Ajaccio beat ''hot'' Tourcoing in Lille and helped Paris a lot. Dark clouds are over Tourcoing now because they have only 2 pts over Paris with two very hard away matches (Tours and Nantes) and Montpellier in Lille last round while Paris has two matches vs Nice, Beauvais away and in last round Rennes at home.

Tours trashed Nantes (without Boulc'h) in one sided match, Poitiers streched their incredibile winning run on 15 matches after 3:1 vs St.Quentin.

Tommorow BOUC faces Toulouse and win is imperative for Bartik & co. in order to keep PO chances alive :whistle:

• 23rd day results:

Montpellier 1/3 Paris 25-20 22-25 22-25 21-25 P2
    Tourcoing 2/3 Ajaccio 25-21 19-25 21-25 25-16 13-15 P2
    Nice 1/3 AS Cannes 25-16 21-25 14-25 18-25 P2
    Rennes 3/2 Sète 20-25 23-25 27-25 25-15 15-10 P2
    Poitiers 3/1 St-Quentin 25-14 25-19 25-27 25-22 P2
    Nantes Rezé 0/3 Tours 20-25 22-25 23-25 P2

Ranking:

1. Tours 57
    2. Poitiers 55
    3. Sète * 41
    4. AS Cannes 39
    5. Rennes 38
    6. Montpellier 36
    7. Nantes Rezé 35
    8. Tourcoing 34
    9. Paris * 32
    10. Ajaccio 29
    11. Beauvais ** 28
    12. Toulouse * 23
    13. Nice * 19
    14. St-Quentin 2

* one game less
    **two games less

Comments:

Pretty strange day indeed.
    Next rounds are going to be really exciting !