Turkish TV series/soap operas

• We have a lot of Turkish members here, so I figured I'll make this thread. :D
    Did you guys know that Turkish soap operas are a huge hit throughout the Balkans and more specifically in ex-Yugoslavia? It all started last year with "Binbir gece" which caused a total hysteria. I didn't watch it, but loooooots of people did. It was so popular that the two leading actors from that series visited Belgrade and Zagreb. After that, almost every TV channel started showing at least one Turkish series. There was "Gumus", "Ezel", "Ask ve ceza", "Yaprak dokumu" (extremely popular in Serbia at the moment)... I'm watching "Hanimin ciftligi". These soap operas so popular that more and more people want to learn Turkish language and are getting interested in Turkish culture.

Are those TV series popular in Turkey too? Are they respected or simply considered easy entertainment? Are the actors playing in them well known?

• Marriage programs are very popular in Turkey :rolll:

I didn't watch these TV series but yes of course these actors are well known persons in Turkey :win:

My favorite is "Elveda Rumeli" ;)

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• I didnt know that they are popular in balcan countries, but i knew that they are quite popular in middle estern , in many arabian countires, and even in eritrea and sudan :lol: :lol:
    the only turkish soap i was watching was yaprak dökümü. but now i am watching muhtesem yuzyil, which tells the story of sultan suleyman and roxelane :lol:

the series you mentioned were all very popular with high tv-ratings.

• OMG! I am really surprised about that! Are these soap operas really popular in ex-Yugoslavia? :lol: Actualy these soap operas were the biggest hits in Turkey and some Arabic countries when they were being broadcasted. You didn't mention about ''Aşk-ı Memnu'' .Maybe the TV's haven't started to broadcast that soap opera but I think when (if) they will be broadcasted, it will be the biggest hit there like it was in Turkey. :lol:

• In Italy they are unknown XD

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• I think Ask-i memnu is shown in Croatia. But yeah, all these series are really popular. "Yaprak dokumu" regularly has the highest rating of all TV programmes in Serbia. 8| "Hanimin ciftligi" also has a lot of viewers. And it's the same in Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia...

A TV commercial for a supermarket chain in Croatia and Serbia featuring the two leading actors from "Binbir gece" :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY1F83lKJpY

• I think Ask-i memnu is shown in Croatia. But yeah, all these series are really popular. "Yaprak dokumu" regularly has the highest rating of all TV programmes in Serbia. 8| "Hanimin ciftligi" also has a lot of viewers. And it's the same in Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia...

A TV commercial for a supermarket chain in Croatia and Serbia featuring the two leading actors from "Binbir gece" :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY1F83lKJpY

Joana, in what language are the series, in original turkish with subtitles or in native languages like serbian, croatian ? for example in arabian countries, eritrea and sudan its in arabic

• In Turkish, with subtitles. That's why Turkish language is getting more popular!

They tried using voiceover in "Lale devri", probably because Emina Jahovic had the leading role and they though it would be weird for people to hear talk in Turkish (although it wasn't her real voice since she can't speak Turkish well :lol: ) but people didn't like it, so they dropped it after several episodes and continued with subtitles like usually.

• In Turkish, with subtitles. That's why Turkish language is getting more popular!

They tried using voiceover in "Lale devri", probably because Emina Jahovic had the leading role and they though it would be weird for people to hear talk in Turkish (although it wasn't her real voice since she can't speak Turkish well :lol: ) but people didn't like it, so they dropped it after several episodes and continued with subtitles like usually.

thats pretty interesting , i never liked movies with subtitles, so its really a big surprise that those series having high ratings :)
    i need to ask my friend, hes from croatia if his mother watches them as well :lol:

• Oh i didn't know that those soap operas are too famous in Balkan and Ex-Yugoslavian countries.I knew that it was popular in arabic countries :D Now i remembered that Binbir Gece's actor and actress were in Slovakia a few months ago and Slovakian people had a huge interest for both.I didn't know why it was and now i understood the reason of interest :D I didn't know they also moved to Serbia.Joana i was watching some of them :win: There are lots of diffrent soap operas right now and diffrent TV channels are broadcasting almost 20-25 soap operas per week currently.Housewifes have a big interest to those soap operas and TV companies recieve their interest with many claimful projects.Probably all of them will be shown in foreign countries soon.The reasons that they are so popular in Turkey.

1)Some of those soap operas topics are taken from popular turkish books.(Yaprak Dokumu,Ask-i Memnu,Hanimin Ciftligi) All of them were phenomen in Turkey :win:

2)The actresses are mostly so beautiful either actors are :D Some of them were Top models :lol: (For example Kivanc Tatlitug from Ask-i Memnu,Kenan Imirzalioglu from Ezel)
    3)Housewifes have quite free time at home and they started to watch those soap operas to spend their time :lol:

4)Their topics are quite interesting.

Joana i currently watch only Muhtesem Yuzyil only.It's my favourite.It's about Ottoman history and quite exciting.I don't like emotional soap operas except the book ones.I have watched Yaprak Dokumu and Ask-i Memnu and i can advice you both of them.They are quite enjoyable :win: Just Yaprak Dokumu was a little dramatic :S Gumus is a very old one.Ezel was a action soap opera.I also watched it :D but watching 5-6 soap operas per week is fully a waste time in my opinion.I watch one or max 2 per week sometimes i can't watch coz of my lessons and i watch them on internet :D

2010/2011 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Turkish Cup Winner :cup:
    2011/2012 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Super Cup Winner :cup:

• thats pretty interesting , i never liked movies with subtitles, so its really a big surprise that those series having high ratings :)
    i need to ask my friend, hes from croatia if his mother watches them as well :lol:

Well, over here subtitles are used in 95% of foreign TV programmes. Basically only shows for children have voice-over. People are used to that.

Latin American soap operas ("telenovelas") used to be really big in these parts, but they are shown less and less and Turkish soap operas are increasingly taking over, since they are said to be more realistic and are better produced and acted.

• Marriage programs are very popular in Turkey :rolll:

:rolll: :rolll: :rolll: OMG I can't stop laugh while watching them.They are sooo stupid :D When i was ill one week i have watched it and i have learnt the song of one of them " Sende benim gibi yalnızsan gel kurtar bizi şansını denemeye hazırsan işte sana Su Gibi" :rolll: A piece of Bullshit really but the characters are much funny than Comedy movies worth to watch :rolll: Also Meal Competitions are quite popular right now. (Yemekteyiz :rolll: )

• in the 90s many south american telenovelas were shown in turkish channels and some american like young and restelss or the bold and beautiful. but with beginning of 2000 more and more turkish series were developed and they became more popular and the quality as well. the actors earn very good with the series and i think its good for turkey to have such good soaps or series. even they are more popular than movies :lol:

• king

Yes Latin American movies were so popular in Turkey years ago.Maria Maria,Rosalinda etc. :rolll: Do you remember "Yalan Ruzgarlari" ? :rolll:

• :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: OMG I can't stop laugh while watching them.They are sooo stupid :D When i was ill one week i have watched it and i have learnt the song of one of them " Sende benim gibi yalnızsan gel kurtar bizi şansını denemeye hazırsan işte sana Su Gibi" :rolll: A piece of Bullshit really but the characters are much funny than Comedy movies worth to watch :rolll: Also Meal Competitions are quite popular right now. (Yemekteyiz :rolll: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well i want to say something to the meal progs: here in germany they are quite popular as well, but they never argue with each other and they also give high points like 8-9-10. but in turkey :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: they argue very much sometimes, i dunno why they do that, just relax and have some fun in my opinion

to the marriage progs, hmm, i think it may be funny but i think its quite good program, i mean why people laugh to them when they tell how their dream man or woman have to be ? ? ? Everyone has criterias , of course there are some freaky people but nevertheless its a way to get to know people and marry. what is the difference between internet-chat and tv-marriages ? ? nothing actually

• king

Yes Latin American movies were so popular in Turkey years ago.Maria Maria,Rosalinda etc. :rolll: Do you remember "Yalan Ruzgarlari" ? :rolll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: of course i do, god those were times :lol: :lol: :lol:
    yalan rüzgari is "the young and restless" :) i liked the mean girl sheilla in cesur ve güzel :heart:

• :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: of course i do, god those were times :lol: :lol: :lol:
    yalan rüzgari is "the young and restless" :) i liked the mean girl sheilla in cesur ve güzel :heart:

My mom is a huge Soap opera watcher and she finds always something to watch.Poor us :rolll: TV is always in her control :rolll: About Marriage programmes the funny thing is,they don't know what they want and really stupid conversations are starting between each other :rolll:

• @ starnight

actually, i never wathched turkish series. i way only wathcing german, but later i wanted to improve my turkish and started to watch AVRUPA YAKASI, which is one of the best comey series ever . figures like Burhan Altintop or Sahika, Selin were really great. the first drama i was watching was yaprak dökümü , after this series i changed my opinio concerning some turkish issues, i really liked this series and i was sad for the end ;(
    Now, i only watch muhtesem yuzyil i love meryem ( i alwasy knew shes german and the best thing is, shes from kassel :) i may ask for a date :lol: ) and i watch housewives, its a good transformation into turkish

• some of the series are so stupid i think, and on the moment marriage programmes is real joke, 70-80 years old men women trying to find partner im really shocked about how many people wants to be marrying,

i want to ask you Joana, in Serbia is this series bring any sympathy to people about Turkey or not?

• We have cooking shows too. I think it's a global phenomenon.

Another thing about Turkish soap operas is that they helped to remove some prejudices about Turkey. People in the Balkans have always had a bit of a negative opinion about Turkey, considering our common history and Turkish rule in the Balkans etc. but with these series people realize that our cultures are actually quite similar in some aspects. And it's always funny to recognize some Turkish word. :) There are lot of words of Turkish origin in the Balkan languages.