Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2021-2022

• Looks like NSSU could maybe might win this tie breaker, but they can get careless with a lead near the end of matches. Kurobe sending in the new girl, Ayano Sato, to set

• This Denso Saitama match is great. Lots of hitting , long rallies. Denso was up 2 points the whole first set, and then lost it 26–28 :aww:

• Toray is playing weenie ball :thumbdown:

• I think Haruka Oyama 大山遼 might actually be Ryo Oyama? I've never seen it Latinized and thought I took it from Haruka Miyashita 宮下遥 ... being a one character given name, but apparently not. brahmin , any guess?

Per the 2021 Kanto University League 1st Division player list, it is Haruka.

https://kanto.volleyball-u.jp/…9f42cca0c18301f325e17.pdf

I would say with boys, the chance for it being read as Ryo, it would make more sense.

• Per the 2021 Kanto University League 1st Division player list, it is Haruka.

https://kanto.volleyball-u.jp/…9f42cca0c18301f325e17.pdf

I would say with boys, the chance for it being read as Ryo, it would make more sense.

Wow, that's a golden document! Where did you find it? I remember last year, maybe year before, they forgot to password protect some Rosters document and I snatched it from the Kanto site. I can't find it there now, and wondered why they password protect their roster lists :cursing:

But I think maybe I did determine it to be Haruka from some such document based on the おおやま はるか ... whatever they call that phonetic Japanese

Seems University federations are more intent on protecting the identities of the players than high schools. I imagine some universities themselves don't consider it a time worthy investment to put their girls' volleyball rosters online but some do, and I love them for it :rose:

• 2022.05.02 Day 3 Black Eagle Flag (group match)

Home [-] Away
    Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Total

Himeji 0–2 Tsukuba

25–27

20–25

45–52

Tokai 2–0 Shujitsu

25–13

25–19

50–32

Toyota 2–1 Kinrankai

23–25

25–13

25–20

73–58

Kurobe 1–2 NSSU

26–24

21–25

22–25

69–74

NEC 2–0 Hitachi

25–16

25–23

50–39

Saitama 2–0 Denso

28–26

25–17

53–43

Toray 2–0 Okayama

25–22

28–26

53–48

SAGA 0–2 PFU

27–29

21–25

48–54

Full Replays:

C Court

D Court

Quarterfinals tonight TUE 03 May 2022: (jst)

11:00 Toray – SAGA

11:00 Okayama – PFU

14:00 Tsukuba – Tokai

14:00 NEC – Saitama

• The only two university teams going against each other? :wall:

yeah :mad:

I think this is the first time a school, Uni or HS, has made it to the "tournament" round?

And this tournament went against the argument that the best HS teams are better than the best Uni teams

I'm really sad NSSU didn't make it. They're not as good as the two Uni teams that did, but they were there to party, and they were loads of fun to watch

ps - the 3-set match business was a little odd. I could imagine a few different outomes if they played 5

• No fair ...

Yahoo news article about Tsukuba's success singles out punchy OH Asuka Nozu

Asuka is some kind of coach or manager, but not the Head Coach. She's the one who's been deployed for The Real Yoshino Sato

They fail to mention she rotates out so awesome MB Haruka Oyama can handle reception duties. Haruka is so quiet she'll probably never get the love she deserves :rose:

• Also, a Yahoo article on Mandai and her frustration with not playing any matches for a year. I think the jury is still out on how she will transition to the Big Pants

"It was my first official match in about a year. I was very nervous, but I think I gradually got over it."

Bandai played a full match against NSSU at the Kurowashiki on April 30, but gave himself a score of "50"

• Looks like Takaso is wearing a jet pack :dance6:

• I could watch Saki Nakajima serve all day, but she's a little ... shall we say ... casual as a player

• I'm not sure about Fu and 6ato out, but Endo is also playing well

• But I think maybe I did determine it to be Haruka from some such document based on the おおやま はるか ... whatever they call that phonetic Japanese

Hiragana, which is the normal Japanese alphabet, vs. Katakana which is the Japanese alphabet for foreign words.

If you see the name hiragana written on top of the kanji, then it is called furigana (either using hiragana or katakana)

• Fukazawa is playing surprisingly scrappy

• 2006 was the last time they did 4 team groups, but only played two matches. So 32 teams, 8 groups of 4. Many groups had 2 teams win their 2 matches and advanced to round of 16 playoffs.

In 2006, Tsukuba University and Aoyama Gakuin University made the round of 16, where both got swept 3-0.

In the current 4 teams, 3 matches in 4 groups format since 2007, Tsukuba University would be the first to advance to quarterfinals.

• In the current 4 teams, 3 matches in 4 groups format since 2007, Tsukuba University would be the first to advance to quarterfinals.

You mean this tournament, right? And it's Tokai and Tsukuba in the QFs, and one of them will advance to the Semis

• Looks like PFU is running out of gas and Okayama is picking up speed

• Nishimura (not to mention Toe) is better at liberoing than all the liberos Manabe picked :mad:

• Looks like PFU is running out of gas and Okayama is picking up speed

Did I say that out loud?

PFU 2–1 Okayama

Toray 2–1 SAGA

SAGA holding on by a thread for a chance at a Triple Crown