Eastern European teams

• It seems that Eastern Europe is the most prolific region of strong teams.

Russia, Poland and Serbia are top teams

Croatia and Ukraine have a lot of potential. In my opinion they could be the next teams to flourish.

Czech Republic, Slovakia, Belarus, Bulgaria are young and promising teams too

Only Romania is a team of veterans.

It seems that Russian/Soviet school of play has had a great impact!

• Soviet schools didn't help this countries, they helped only russia.

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• Soviet schools didn't help this countries, they helped only russia.

I was talking about school of play. :roll:

• It seems that Eastern Europe is the most prolific region of strong teams.

It seems that Russian/Soviet school of play has had a great impact!

Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Romania and Bulgaria are NOT in the Eastern Europe. It is political designation from past times :|

I don't know what about the other mentioned countries, but Poland never had anything to do with Soviet/Russian school of play. Polish teams played and play in completely different style.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• I was talking about school of play. :roll:

This also.

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• Maybe she meant slavonic countries, but without romania then it should be. ;)
    Yeah, for Poland, and also for my country - Bulgaria I have to say that these countries had never been teaching by russia in volleyball.

• Well, I don't want to argue with anyone. Mine was just an appreciation. :roll:

They are geographically in Eastern Europe, not in Western Europe. I mean geographically, not politically. :roll:

Soviet style of play had an impact on their satellite countries.

• Bulgaria I have to say that these countries had never been teaching by russia in volleyball.

Bulgaria plays a Russian style of volleyball. For example high balls ala Marinova!

Poland developed a style on her own, but still it is not from the Asian school. :lol:

• Bulgaria plays a Russian style of volleyball. For example high balls ala Marinova!

You are wrong. :)

• You are wrong. :)

Since you are an expert, explain me why! It is easy to say "you are wrong" ;)

• They are geographically in Eastern Europe, not in Western Europe. I mean geographically, not politically. :roll:

Even geographically. We have more than two directions. These countreis are in the Middle and South Europe. Eg. Croatia is close to Italy, and you wouldn't say Italy is in the Eastern Europe, would you? And is Berlin? Cause I have one our by car to this city...

But OK, let's change the topic...

The most important 3:

• Yes, I wish that one day Ukraine can be a top team, although I don't know if that is very likely. But not all of these teams used to be part of the SU block. Even if you mean school of play, I don't know well enough how some of these teams play to assert something like that.

But more or less, I think that most teams copied SU, because it used to be the strongest team, and the weaker teams always look up to who is winning and try to mimick them, that's just the natural thing to do.

• Yes, I wish that one day Ukraine can be a top team, although I don't know if that is very likely. But not all of these teams used to be part of the SU block. Even if you mean school of play, I don't know well enough how some of these teams play to assert something like that.

But more or less, I think that most teams copied SU, because it used to be the strongest team, and the weaker teams always look up to who is winning and try to mimick them, that's just the natural thing to do.

You gave the right explaination! All those teams tried to mimick the SU, because it was a winning team and most of those countries were part of the Soviet block. Another thing to say is that Soviet coaches went to Cuba to teach volleyball. That is a fact. Soviet school was very influential, as much as the Japanese school, which played the opposite style.

• Exactly. I don't know why deny it, that's no shame. Just like Asiatic teams changed the way to play VB later, the SU was the role model to other teams at that time.

By the way, we shouldn't had taught Cubans how to play VB. :D

• Even geographically. We have more than two directions. These countreis are in the Middle and South Europe. Eg. Croatia is close to Italy, and you wouldn't say Italy is in the Eastern Europe, would you? And is Berlin? Cause I have one our by car to this city...

But OK, let's change the topic...

You clearly didn't understand the topic, which it was of appreciation and not of arguing.

If you take a map and divide Europe in two you will see that France is in Western Europe, Germany and Italy in Central Europe and Croatia in Eastern Europe. No need of further explanation, since it was clear I was appreciating the volley level of a region, call it Eastern, Central or whatever Europe.

• By the way, we shouldn't had taught Cubans how to play VB. :D

:lol: You are right!

• I think the reason for the great "east european" teams' improvement is the different kind of view on sports itself.
    Its not just volleyball progressing but we can see these countries present in almost all kinds of sport.
    Look at tennis, such a domination of slavic countries in the WTA.

I think sport is a great way for the people to forget all the problems they have in their countries. they concentrate on the sport successes and it helps so much to build a nation then.

I lived in Russia and i saw with what an effort people try to reach their goals to escape from maybe a bad future, they fight till the end.
    the west european countries have a different mentality. They have a great life, sport is just an add to their life to have more entertainment.
    So these "poorer" countries have a huge will of progress while the west countries are stagnating.
    Its not so obvious now maybe, but im sure that will be even clearer in some more years.

I hope its understandable what i wanted to say :)

• I agree with Nastja.

The richest is a country, the poorest is their youngster's "sportive sacrifice". Here in Spain, apart from football, there's no general sporting culture. If you are a footballer, you could be a millionaire easely. If you are like Rafa Pascual (probably our best volleyballer in all our history) you have to migrate from here. This is because here you haven't opportunities to be a good paid PRO Volleyball Player. ?( Only football :down: ......I almost cry when I'm watching TV and I see thousands of people supporting their teams (NO FOOTBALL) outside my country, of course.....The Spain's victory in the ECH was a delicious accident. We have a little group of very good players and we had a very good Coach (one more accident). But the "other" countries (Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, etc, etc,) have structures that not only the money can buy. :huh:

• Here in Spain, apart from football, there's no general sporting culture. If you are a footballer, you could be a millionaire easely. If you are like Rafa Pascual (probably our best volleyballer in all our history) you have to migrate from here. This is because here you haven't opportunities to be a good paid PRO Volleyball Player. ?( Only football :down:

And what about Spanish basketball, handball or tennis? You have real stars in this sports: Pau Gasol, Fernando Urios, Rafael Nadal etc. I believe these sports nad players are popular in your country.

The most important 3:

• Barazzo, Romania has nothing to do with volleyball (basketball also). And I really think that basketball is a religion in Spain, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Unicaha (Malaga), Tau Keramika, Pamesa (Valencia) and so and so, I've seen more than 12 000 people in the halls on "EL CLASSICO" - Real - Barca. ;)