How did YOU play?

• Hehe, good guess :P
    Anyways tommorow is the 3d round of the 3d slovene league, we are playing in Brezovica, the team is currently 3d, so any won set would be a surprise ^^

• xprrT : So how did that go??? What were your statistics in a game like this?

We played two matches and won both 4-0 (games in Holland always go to 4 sets, otherwise matches would be too short on the lower levels). We seem to win every game when our best setter is present. I played relaly well again I thought. First match I think I scored around 17 points. I really like just hitting it high upon the block, although I got a few cross court spikes as well. Reception was alright, but not very strong. Defence was really good, was able to defend a bunch of relatively powerful spikes. I kept hitting the over-passes into the block though :S

Second game: much stronger opponent, but my game was even better I felt. Scored two aces with my jump serve and caused a lot of reception problem with it in general. Scored almost all my attacks (though I got less sets). Even scored twice from the back row on lost balls which weren't even meant to be set to me :P Reception was good as well. For this match I decided to meditate through it basically. I was getting so sick of all the thinking during matches... "I should do this, should do that".. "oh no, we're behind in score we should play better", "OMG that guy might be better than me I have to prove myself to be better"... it's all useless and very painful actually, so I decided to let it all run out of my head as soon as it would come. Found it to be a lot more relaxing, though very hard to do.. I am proud of myself that I did it though. Like this, you see volleyball is no different than any other moment. Everytime your brain says it's a special moment, you just realize that you're just standing there. Or when one hits a bad spike, you just realize that it is part of volleyball and that's all... and then stop torturing yourself abou it. Be compassionate towards your own 'bad' actions.

Also, thsi was the first game my girlfriend saw that we actually won and where I played my best game. She promised me a hug if we'd win the 4th set and I got a really good hug when we did :)

• Congratulations! :)
    We've lost the match 3-0, i didn't play as well as in the other matches, although my receive was really high again, and im actually surprised that i made such a large improvment on receiving this year! I had 92% positive, and 75% ideal receive, but i played really bad in attack I must say, only scored 5 points, and missed lots of 1 on 1 situations :S.
    This saturday we played against Kostanjevica, and won 3:0(25:16;28:26;25:19), after loosing 18 - 12 in the 2d set!
    Played really well again, scored 3 aces, and 2 winners, had 95% positive and 78% ideal receive, made a block, and scored 12 points in attack.
    This saturday we are playing against Logatec, which is still unbeaten in this season! :D

• http://vimeo.com/16469545
    This is a short video from our Youth match against Astec triglav from about 3 weeks ago I think :)

Cool, which one are you? It seems as though you guys were winning really badly. Nice level of play, from your side though. Funny how EVERYONE does a jump float.

• Thanks! :)
    I'm #4, the only blond receiver :P
    Actually we dont all serve float, me, the other receiver and the opposite have jump serve ;)
    But if we see that the other team has problems with receiving float serves, we switch to that :D

• And if you still cant recognize me, im the one that scored the first point ^^

• Dude, I was really impressed with that attack. Very nice technique and you seem very calm when you hit it. Nice height and power as well. You seem like a talented player.

Although I still need to work a lot, especcialy on my tehnique and vertical jump, but I know how to use my head instead of my power as well, one thing im very proud of :)

Although I still need to work a lot, especcialy on my tehnique and vertical jump, but I know how to use my head instead of my power as well, one thing im very proud of :)

Wow, wow nicee! ;) Good luck in ur carrer!

• Played two matches, lost first one 3-1 and won the other 4-0. Think my level of play has improved a little, with my technique in attack becoming a little more fluid and explosive. First match I scored almost all my attacks. Almost like anything I touched turned to gold.. even attacks I didn't even contact that well ended up as points. Also really happy about my reception. Jump serve was good too. Too bad our other OH hitter wasn't as good as he usually is.

Second match was against the lowest ranked team. Got a really nice cross court attack in at the beginning of the match (somewhere near 3rd meter line) and in general had some nice hits. They were really bad though, think we won the first two sets 25-11 or so, so it was hard to stay focused and made a few more errors in the rest of the match, but we still won easily. Had 4 errors with my jump serve so that wasn't too good. Our other OH hitter played really well this match btw :)

In general I liked this season very much. I feel like I'm still improving (at age 29!) especially in attack and setting (practice this a lot with my beach volleyball training) :)

• Played two matches, lost first one 3-1 and won the other 4-0. Think my level of play has improved a little, with my technique in attack becoming a little more fluid and explosive. First match I scored almost all my attacks. Almost like anything I touched turned to gold.. even attacks I didn't even contact that well ended up as points. Also really happy about my reception. Jump serve was good too. Too bad our other OH hitter wasn't as good as he usually is.

Second match wasn't against the lowest ranked team. Got a really nice cross court attack in at the beginning of the match and in general had some nice hits. They were really bad though, think we won the first two sets 25-11 or so, so it was hard to stay focused and made a few more errors in the rest of the match, but we still won easily. Had 4 errors with my jump serve so that wasn't too good. Our other OH hitter played really well this match btw :)

In general I liked this season very much. I feel like I'm still improving (at age 29!) especially in attack and setting (practice this a lot with my beach volleyball training) :)

ye ye show Us video with Your play :thumbup:

• I don't have any, I'll attempt to get some.

• Training went quite well yesterday, not as good as last time though. After last time I was all, wow if I keep this up I can rejoin my best friend in his team again (second highest level in Holland). There was some Brazillian dude training with us, with whom I was really impressed. He jumped really heigh and he hit it on top of / over my block a couple times. At the end of practice he told me that he thought "I was the best", so that was good for my ego, but probably bad for my game :P It did kind of show me that I should go play in a higher league again, because I had "oh my god, perhaps I won't be the best player anymore now" feelings because this guy was at the same level as me. So I think I like playing in this league so I can be the best in my team / club, but that's a bit of an illusion I guess. So next season I'll try and see how well I fair among better players :)

• Nice to hear that, good luck! :)
    Yesterdays training went pretty good for me too, although i sprained my left thumb finger at the start of the training, but i still managed to do good ^^

• Yesterday we played against the 2d ranked team Ljubljana Črnuče and won 3:2!! :)
    After loosing the first set 25:10, we managed to win the next two 27:25 and 25:23. In the 4th set we lost again 25:12, but then in the tie-break we totally demolished them! We took the lead 6-1 and won in the end 15-9, for our biggest win in the season, and for the biggest surprise of this season :)

I must say my recepcion was outstanding yesterday, i was flying all over the court, receiving all kinds of balls, out of 24 receivs, i had 16 perfect, and got only one ace, so my percentage was over 90%(60-70% ideal reception), in attack i wasnt that good 7/4, but hey, i managed to receive good, and the other guys managed to pull some points back for me in attack, so it was a great team effort! ;)

• Sounds really good man. You sound like a real team player. Reception is really important and is always a great contribution to your team. I remember once a very experienced player told me that if your reception is sound, you won't be benched very often. Congrats on the win!

• Thanks! I'm really happy with my improvement this season, my reception is constantly high, although on this match it was really outsanding, and I doubt it will be this high again ^^, but still the coach said im the best player at receiving in the team at this moment, and it really means a lot to me, and that all the hard work i did during the summer has finnaly payed off :)
    Although as a receiver i still need to work in attack, bassicly in the youth team im playing good in attack as well, but in the senior team i just can't connect with the setter, its probably because he played 20 years in the 1st slovene league and was in the NT as well, so he plays really fast balls, and i only train with the senior team once a weak so its difficult...

• Yeah different setters is always tough. We play with two setters actually and I find it hard to adjust to their different styles of setting. Quicker sets is generally just come in quicker though of course :P

A problem I had with one of our setter, was that he'd set it really far to the outside, while the other one often would not get it out far enough. I kind of solved this just by starting very far outside of the court. If it doesn't go far enough I can generally correct it, by speeding up my approach and when it's too far I just jump upwards so I still remain behind the ball. Jumping backwards always makes me hit the ball wide (out). Not sure if that's your problem at all of course, but just wanted to share that :)