Names and diminutive in various languages

• caballo- horse in spanish
    btw I thought volley super fan is a guy, not a gal :huh:

Noo, I'm a girl :mirror:

But I can guess why you have supposed I am a guy :lol: It is because of the "volley super fan" nick :D Now from the distance of time I also do not think that it suits a girl, but it is too late to change it now. :P

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................

• Well...Mishka sounds similar to myszka (sz=sh), which means little mouse in polish as well! :D

About Kurek...seriously whenever I recall what does it mean in Bulgarian I can't stop myself from laughing :D

Btw, There are lots of similarities between Polish and Bulgarian! I know, both are Slavic languages, but I've never suspected that some words sound almost exactly the same, or very similar! That's awesome! I really can't wait to start studying Bulgarian! Just one year...:)

Wow! 8o What an honour! :obey:
    You shock me, really. It's going to be useless, nobody speaks it. Or you think to study in Sofia?

• Yes, slavic languages have a lot of similarities, I have no problem for example to read in Serbian/Croation and I understand pretty good even when someone is talking and I also can speak little. Russian to me is an idea less understandable than the ones I mentioned, but although I have never studied it I uderstand when I read a text, and also if I watch a film - not everything of cousre, but a lot of things, may be about 65%, it depends on the dialoge. Western slavic languages are little bit more difficult than South and Eastern to me, but if you read a text you may find a lot of common words, unfortunately when someone talks in Polish for example I understand just saparate words but don't catch the whole sense. But I think I have a good instinct to slavic languages and if istart studying Polish, I will get used to it very quickly :roll:

And are you really gonna study Bulgarian? That's interesting! Where and why? :D

Yes, it's easier for you to understand other south-slavic launguages, because Bulagrian is one of them, and it's obviously closer to Serbian/Croatian than to west-slavic or east-slavic languages, although all of them have lots of similarities...and false friends :D
    It's just like with me- for me it's easy to understand Czech/Slovak, 'cause both of them are in west-slavic group, along with Polish! :)
    I'm studying Russian for couple of years, so it's a lot easier for me to understand it now, than couple of years ago, but I must say I've always understood Russian, I mean...just like you- not every single word, but I got the whole meaning. And it's awesome to know cyrilic, 'cause thanks to that I'm able to read, or just trying to read and understand some texts in Serbian and Bulgarian, although Bulgarian is a little more difficult to me :D

Yes! I'm into south-slavic countries since I remember, especially ex-Yugoslavian. I'm going to study south-slavic philology (I dunno if it's correct in English), with the main langague- Serbian, and the second one- Bulgarian :)

• Wow! 8o What an honour! :obey:
    You shock me, really. It's going to be useless, nobody speaks it. Or you think to study in Sofia?

Oh I'm really used to hear 'it's useless, don't study it! You won't need it!' and stuff... :roll: My dad (and some other peeps) keeps telling me this all the time! But honestly, I don't give a damn :D You know...it's kinda a passion, I think when you're interested in something, or you want to understand some cultures/nations etc. the best way to do it, is to get to know their language and customs and stuff like that.
    I'm into languages in general, especially Slavic, so the choice is obvious to me. I want to study it, not because I'm planning to move to Bulgaria or Serbia (although I think about Serbia like that pretty often :D ), but because I'm fascinated by these countries, and I love these people!

• Yes! I'm into south-slavic countries since I remember, especially ex-Yugoslavian. I'm going to study south-slavic philology (I dunno if it's correct in English), with the main langague- Serbian, and the second one- Bulgarian :)

Aha! You want to understand the lyrics while listening to music! :win:
    Now seriously Bulgarian is in different type of alphabet and it will be difficult to learn those languages. Difficult but not impossible. And I can only say to you: "Успех!"

Here's the meaning of a lot of Bulgarian names:
    http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/bul.php

• Aha! You want to understand the lyrics while listening to music! :win:
    Now seriously Bulgarian is in different type of alphabet and it will be difficult to learn those languages. Difficult but not impossible. And I can only say to you: "Успех!"

Here's the meaning of a lot of Bulgarian names:
    http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/bul.php

Blagodarya! :drink: :D Yeah! Obviously understaning the lyrics of Bijelo Dugme or Parni Valjak is the main reason of my decison! :lol:

Yeah, I noticed the difference between the cyrilic I know, and the Bulgarian cyrilic. It's tougher, but I'm definitely not gonna give up :D
    Thanks a looot!

• Olja, I'm glad that you'll study Bulgarian language, I can help you with the dialect words, they are so interesting to me :drink:

• Olja, I'm glad that you'll study Bulgarian language, I can help you with the dialect words, they are so interesting to me :drink:

Blagodarya :D Thanks guys so much! I'm so excited about the future! :drink: :whistle:

• What a nice discussion you guys had :roll:

I would like to say that I love all Bulgarian names I heard here. Nadejda and Ralitsa and now also Vasilena. What a nice name you have, volley super fan ^^

About languages, since I talk a lot with you guys, I mean Bulgarians, I dream about learn bulgarian language. As well as italian and japanese. I'm rather poor in learning languages and it will be extremely hard for me but I'll do my best to learn it :win:

• Oh I'm really used to hear 'it's useless, don't study it! You won't need it!' and stuff... :roll: My dad (and some other peeps) keeps telling me this all the time! But honestly, I don't give a damn :D You know...it's kinda a passion, I think when you're interested in something, or you want to understand some cultures/nations etc. the best way to do it, is to get to know their language and customs and stuff like that.
    I'm into languages in general, especially Slavic, so the choice is obvious to me. I want to study it, not because I'm planning to move to Bulgaria or Serbia (although I think about Serbia like that pretty often :D ), but because I'm fascinated by these countries, and I love these people!

I admire you Ola and all people who have the braveness to follow their dreams and do what they love to do! Still I think that if you succeed to know these two south slavic languages on a high enough level, that may occur to be a big advantage and not that useless as people say to you :D I mean, exactly because there are not so many people who know them in Poland, alongside with the other western languagee you already know, you are gonna be a precious and rare case :win:

You know that if you need an advice, we Bulgarian users from here are always ready to help you with pleasure :drink:

What a nice discussion you guys had :roll:

I would like to say that I love all Bulgarian names I heard here. Nadejda and Ralitsa and now also Vasilena. What a nice name you have, volley super fan ^^

About languages, since I talk a lot with you guys, I mean Bulgarians, I dream about learn bulgarian language. As well as italian and japanese. I'm rather poor in learning languages and it will be extremely hard for me but I'll do my best to learn it :win:

Thank you bella, you are very kind :heart:

As for learning languages, this first year in the university I think I may attend a lecture on a language if I want, so if that is true and I have enough time appart my regular lactures, I have the great wish to do it. Because I have studied by now English and German, I also want to try with the slavic languages :)

Wild Wild West!

• My name is Konrad and the diminutive of this name is Konradek. But, please, don't call me that, cause I don't really like it... ;)

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• My name is Konrad and the diminutive of this name is Konradek. But, please, don't call me that, cause I don't really like it... ;)

What does it mean? It's a rare name only met in Poland, Germany etc. But I like it very much, it sounds a machine-like, it suits perfectly to a terminator. And the Russian variation Kondrat is even better.

• I don't get it. What's so funny about it? Polish meaning is exactly the same - i.e. courage and cock.

In Bulgarian means only penis, because cock is "Петел", probably the word "Kur" has lost its original meaning

That suffix "ek" that you put at the end of the name seems to be some universal, like our "cho", which can be put at the end of almost every male name and to make it diminutive. But to me names in Bulgarian sounds infantile and childish in that way, like Nikolaycho, Ivancho, Miroslavcho, Mihailcho and so on :D As you are talking to a babyboy :lol: But I see you use it often so obviously in Polish it sounds cool :)

Wild Wild West!

• What does it mean? It's a rare name only met in Poland, Germany etc. But I like it very much, it sounds a machine-like, it suits perfectly to a terminator. And the Russian variation Kondrat is even better.

A machine. Thanks :D As I know it means something like "brave", "courageous, "strong". You can find this name also in English languages countries (Conrad), Spain (Conrado) or Italy (Corrado).

The most important 3:

• That suffix "ek" that you put at the end of the name seems to be some universal (...) :D As you are talking to a babyboy :lol: (...)

Yes, it is common with many names in Poland. And it also sounds quite often like you were talking to some little child :)

The most important 3:

• I admire you Ola and all people who have the braveness to follow their dreams and do what they love to do! Still I think that if you succeed to know these two south slavic languages on a high enough level, that may occur to be a big advantage and not that useless as people say to you :D I mean, exactly because there are not so many people who know them in Poland, alongside with the other western languagee you already know, you are gonna be a precious and rare case :win:

You know that if you need an advice, we Bulgarian users from here are always ready to help you with pleasure :drink:

I also want to try with the slavic languages :)

Thank you a lot Vasilena :flower: Yeah, I also don't think it will be THAT useless, as some people told me :D You know, I feel a little bit incomplete :D I know west slavic language, east slavic...pretty ok, and now I want to speak south slavic to be like a perfect Slav :D
    No, but seriously, I wouldn't really decide to do it, if it woulnd't be at least interesting to me. I know some Polish people who speak some other slavic languages fluently and they don't regret the fact that they have decided to study it, even though some of them don't have anything to do with them now.

You also wanna try slavic languages? Awesome? Which one? :)

• What a nice discussion you guys had :roll:

Well, and we want to know what's your name, Bella :D
    Or maybe it's a secret...?