Names and diminutive in various languages

• OMG, His name is Bartek? :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep :whistle: Bartosz, actually, but Bartek is diminutive of this name. So everyone call him Bartek. You didn't know? :D
    Ok, I know what you mean, laughing at this :lol:

Moderation by Armel:
    This thread comes from this discussion. Emil-kei asked for a place to discuss this topic: here you are !

• Yep :whistle: Bartosz, actually, but Bartek is diminutive of this name. So everyone call him Bartek. You didn't know? :D
    Ok, I know what you mean, laughing at this :lol:

Our Bartek must be jealous of this Bartek :lol:

• Yep and maybe because of it he is so ironic and cheeky :P but it's only one of the many theories about it :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol: What is the english version of this name,If I may ask?

• :lol: :lol: :lol: What is the english version of this name,If I may ask?

I have no idea. On wikipedia is Bartholomew but it sounds more than just weird. From Harry Potter books I remember the name Barty which sounds similar to our polish Bartek. There is also some mention about Bart.

• I have no idea. On wikipedia is Bartholomew but it sounds more than just weird. From Harry Potter books I remember the name Barty which sounds similar to our polish Bartek. There is also some mention about Bart.

Polish names are fascinating. I used to wonder how 'Antoniewicz' could become a surname in Polish :lol: but I like polish female names apart from really common ones such as Kasia,Asia,Ola...

• In Harry Potter there was Bartemius "Barty" Crouch
    We also have Bart Simpson XD

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Polish names are fascinating. I used to wonder how 'Antoniewicz' could become a surname in Polish :lol: but I like polish female names apart from really common ones such as Kasia,Asia,Ola...

Yes, Kasia, Asia, Ola are like plague in Poland :whistle:
    We are so offtopic but I wanted to tell you that your name is also in polish in the same form. But it's rather rare.

• Yes, Kasia, Asia, Ola are like plague in Poland :whistle:
    We are so offtopic but I wanted to tell you that your name is also in polish in the same form. But it's rather rare.

I know. my name exists everywhere, but I hate it. I prefer my second name :white: alright, so...where do we talk about this? is there any space?

• I have no idea. On wikipedia is Bartholomew but it sounds more than just weird. From Harry Potter books I remember the name Barty which sounds similar to our polish Bartek. There is also some mention about Bart.

:aww: Damn. I've already begun to call Bartman as "Bart" because it's shorter just like Baku for Bakiewicz, Nowa for Nowakowski and Moz for Mozdzonek....
    And now I'm wrong again, Bart is not Bartman but Bartek... :wall:

• I know. my name exists everywhere, but I hate it. I prefer my second name :white: alright, so...where do we talk about this? is there any space?

Why? It's cool. For me, at least.
    And I don't know where we can talk about names. Actually it's connected with video with Bartek Kurek so maybe we aren't so offtopic :P

:aww: Damn. I've already begun to call Bartman as "Bart" because it's shorter just like Baku for Bakiewicz, Nowa for Nowakowski and Moz for Mozdzonek....
    And now I'm wrong again, Bart is not Bartman but Bartek... :wall:

Well, Bart sounds a little stupid. Especially for Zibi. But whatever...
    Piotrek Nowakowski is Cichy Pete (Silent Pete in english) :D

I think Bart is a diminutive for Bartholomew.
    So, as weird as the long version may sound, it's probably a good explanation. Sounds better in Polish for sure !

• I'll write something about Serbian names.

Maja can be a name (like Maja Ognjenovic), but is more common as a nickname for names Marija and Marijana.
    Serbian players have quite common names, more or less. Jelena (Nikolic) and Ana (Antonijevic, Lazarevic) are probably the two most common female names in Serbia.
    Vesna (Citakovic) and Suzana (Cebic) used to be common names, but are somewhat outdated now.
    Silvija (Popovic) is not that common.
    Milena (Rasic) can be pronounced in two ways: with the stress on the first syllable (Milena) or on the second (Milena). The first one is more common and I believe that's how her name is pronounced.

• I'll write something about Serbian names.

Taking advantage of your post, what about the pronunciation of Serbian surnames? Take Brakocevic, for instance: is it correct to stress the 'o' or the 'e'?

• Taking advantage of your post, what about the pronunciation of Serbian surnames? Take Brakocevic, for instance: is it correct to stress the 'o' or the 'e'?

In her name the second syllable is stressed, so: Brakocevic. There's no general rule for stress, it varies from word to word. Only the last syllable in the word cannot be stressed.
    Actually, her name is Brakočević. Both "č" and "ć" sound like English "ch", but "ć" is somewhat softer and "č" is harder.
    Likewise, Milena Rasic is actually Rašić. "Š" sounds pretty much like English "sh".
    Also, Brižitka Molnar. "Ž" sounds like English "s" in the word "pleasure". But her name is not Serbian, she's an ethnic Hungarian.

Let me just add that Serbian language uses both Latin and Cyrillic script. Cyrillic is used for all official purposes, but Latin is widely used in press, printing, everyday communication etc.
    Examples of names in both scripts:
    Јелена Николић = Jelena Nikolić
    Маја Огњеновић = Maja Ognjenović
    Јована Бракочевић = Jovana Brakočević
    Милена Рашић = Milena Rašić
    Брижитка Молнар = Brižitka Molnar
    Нађа Нинковић = Nađa Ninković
    etc.

• Polish names are fascinating. I used to wonder how 'Antoniewicz' could become a surname in Polish :lol: but I like polish female names apart from really common ones such as Kasia,Asia,Ola...

Dang! :D My name is common! :D Well...I sound like I'm suprised or something, but I actually shouldn't be :D But even though my name is soooooooo common I like it a lot! Especially my diminutive, 'cause it sounds like spanish 'hi' :D Hola, I'm Ola :D

• Dang! :D My name is common! :D Well...I sound like I'm suprised or something, but I actually shouldn't be :D But even though my name is soooooooo common I like it a lot! Especially my diminutive, 'cause it sounds like spanish 'hi' :D Hola, I'm Ola :D

Is it Aleksandra? In Serbia your nickname would be Saška. :D

• Is it Aleksandra? In Serbia your nickname would be Saška. :D

Yes, Aleksandra! I know, it sounds really nice in Serbian :D In Russian it's the same I guess :)

• Yes, Aleksandra! I know, it sounds really nice in Serbian :D In Russian it's the same I guess :)

Yes it is, and in Bulgarian, as well :D My parents have told me that was one of the possible names for me, and if I were a boy my name would have been Aleksander for sure :P

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................

• Yes it is, and in Bulgarian, as well :D My parents have told me that was one of the possible names for me, and if I were a boy my name would have been Aleksander for sure :P

I'm glad it was my dad, who gave me this name! 'Cause when I asked my mum, how would she call me, she said Zofia, which means Sofia :D I'm not a big fan of this name, so I'm glad I'm Aleksandra/Ola :D Doesn't matter wheter it's common, or not :D
    Btw, what's your name volley super fan? :)