Italy – Superlega 2017/2018

• Maybe Trentino can exploit Perugia's grueling schedule. They will be playing the qualification round for Champions League so that can be a factor for a comeback and to end the losing streak.

I still think that Trentino has to push the panic button now. I'm not sure when the transfer market will come back or if it is still open. It seems that this team has reached the limit of what they can do. Their block defense is great but something is off that prevents them from winning. You can't really say this team lacked preparation. Giannelli and Vettori basically had the whole NT season to iron the kinks between their connection. :white:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I don't know... from one point of view, it seems like at the moment they're incapable of getting out of the situation on their own.

On the other hand, they also seem to have several margins of improvement (I definitely don't agree that the block defense is great, I would have actually said the opposite..), at least on paper.

Still, I wouldn't be able to say how the market could help, unless they have to spend huge amount of moneys... which I don't think they will.
    The only big 'cheap' name I could think of – for the play off, in case – is Kaizisky, but I'm not sure at the moment he could be considered better than Kovacevic or Lanza... PS I mean cheap for Trento: I heard he played for free the last time he joined the team for the last part of the season, two years ago)

Ps I don't see many chance of a victory vs this focused Perugia, despite the CL interlude for them. But it's not losing vs Perugia (or Civitanova) that are a problem for me. The problem is how we are playing and struggling every time vs everybody... After all the match vs Civitanova was the one in which we probably struggled the less, all things considered. I mean, it was tough, but imho we've never completely drown, as it happened at least once in practically every match except may be vs Castellana.

• Kaziyski is playing in Japan. It is doubtful JTEKT will waive him.

In my opinion... Trentino's block is very good considering they are the worst serving team in superlega right now. That's how I base it anyway.

PS Lanza is horrible with that regard. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• PS Lanza is horrible with that regard.

What do you mean with that?
    Do you mean 'serve' with 'that regard'? In that case I agree ;)
    Or you were answering to Shame and meant 'being a leader'?

Kaziyski is playing in Japan. It is doubtful JTEKT will waive him.

I was speaking of the play off, it wouldn't be the first time. Anyway I don't think that will happen and I don't think it would change much, but I may change my mind in a few months is things doesn't get better ^^'

• So bummed out that Perugia didn't have a different schedule of their qualification for the Champions League Group Stage from the rest of the league. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Can anyone update me what's causing the delay in the Ravenna Verona match?

#FreeBritney

• I really thought Tiziano is going to start in Ravenna. That's pretty awkward leaving Trento for another time on the bench. Seems to me the management opted for the win. They might've gotten some friendly rate because of Orduña's connection with Poglajen.

#FreeBritney

• Ravenna losing another lead. So typical of them for this season.

#FreeBritney

• I really thought Tiziano is going to start in Ravenna. That's pretty awkward leaving Trento for another time on the bench. Seems to me the management opted for the win. They might've gotten some friendly rate because of Orduña's connection with Poglajen.

He also started with the disadvantage of the injury, now considering Ravenna is playing well (only one defeat so far I think, let's see if today they will reopen the match or not) it will be hard for him to find space, I'm afraid. In fact I was also wondering if after all choosing Ravenna was smarter than choosing an A2 team, even if A2 level is decreased in the past years...

Ravenna losing another lead. So typical of them for this season.

Impressive how they wasted their lead in both sets, but I would also give credits to Verona for that, they acted like a 'big', from chasing to be chased in the crucial moments.

Lube has already closed vs Sora (3-0); Latina wasted the first set/Modena was good to close the gap at the end of the first set, then Latina won the second 25-22. Pity they didn't win the first one two after practically having it in their hands! Now it's quite balanced.

Padova won the first set 25-8 vs Monza ( :white: ), then lose 25-17, and now won 36-34 (ace by Polo)

• The return round is going to be interesting. With all the teams recovering from injuries and not having enough chemistry during the 1st round. Maybe we could expect more.

Milano without Sbertoli is a worry for the block but as long as they can run that dutch man to attack. Their problems are not as bad.

Ishikawa is looking fantastic. I wish they let him play with Maruotti instead. Savani can be careless.

Oh I had no idea Tiziano was injured. :white: Is he a loanee from Trentino to Ravenna? If that is so... that could affect his choice of club. Padova would have been a nice club for him. I really doubt either of Randazzo or the serbian are stable enough to start so he could have gotten some place in there.

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• Modena won the 4th 34-32, very challenged match for what I catch while watching Verona-Ravenna on TV. Probably Modena not at his best, but when it matters (the advantages of first and third set) they're there, and that's what make the difference between losing and winning.
    Latina won't sleep well tonight if they'll lose this match, with two set lost ad the advantages and one after being ahed after such a good team like Modena...

Ravenna finally managed to win a set, but again Verona almost closed the gap, it was like 19-24 if not even 18 and ended 22-25 with an error of Bira from the 9 meters line (he did two aces in that serve run, though).

Oh I had no idea Tiziano was injured. Is he a loanee from Trentino to Ravenna? If that is so... that could affect his choice of club. Padova would have been a nice club for him. I really doubt either of Randazzo or the serbian are stable enough to start so he could have gotten some place in there.

He is on loan to Ravenna, I don't remember for how long. He got injured before the beginning of the season (ankle, I think, and it was a discretely severe injury for what I've understood). I don't know if he was meant to be titular but neither Marechal nor Pogjalen will be easy to be 'sent' on the bench I guess... Tiziano still have to prove a lot imho, having stayed on the bench for so long. In attack especially.
    Randazzo is definitely more experience of Tiziano (I don't know if better, but more experienced as a titular yes) and he went to Padova to be a clear titular (and imho he deservedly is so far), while I don't know Cirovic very well. Anyway I would have loved to have Balaso, Nelli, Randazzo, Polo and Mazzone playing all together in Padova ;)

Speaking of Trentino youngs, Galassi played an amazing match on Friday and practically changed the face of Milano: I watched the match later, and if I hadn't know Milano won 3-0 after a set and a half I would have definitely bet on Vibo.
    I guess he may soon become titular, or at least being highly considered to play at the first difficulty of the MBs/the teams.

On the other hand Trento surprisingly 'sold' Polo who grown up in Trentino. Imho he is a very interesting young Italian MBs and they should have gave him away only on loan (may be Trento needed a bit of money, though...)

• Not trying to sound like a homophobe but it is nice to have a manlier italian MB like Galassi. :whistle:

Piano is cool but he's not going to intimidate anyone with his presence. :whistle:

Poglajen and Marechal are players with tons of experience. Tiziano can learn a lot from them but he's over 20 and not starting. Italy needs more outside hitters with the height he has so it is a shame he is not playing as a regular for this season before the world championship.

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• And now Teo also put on terrible mustache :lol:

Now Modena is way ahed Latina, 22-14 (what a pity!); Padova won 3-1; in Verona Ravenna is 23-20 (wasted opportunity by Verona for 21-22...)

I'm curious if in Modena Mazzone started titular and then was subbed or if Bossi was chosen, I've never catch the first on court so far (hadn't watch most of the first set though)

EDIT: 21-23, 21-24 for Ravenna, then 25-22. The tie break is the right conclusion for this match imho!

Modena won 3-1!

• Did both teams took a red card? :rolll:

#FreeBritney

• Yes they did! The tie break ended 20-18 (!) for Verona (with a lucky serve of Stern that took the net, for the record!).
    Very fought match and also very entertaining imho! And obviously very long :P

• Nice battle. Think the height of the setters played their cards for this game. Orduña is a very capable player but he tried to attack the ball during the first touch and it backfired immediately. That cancelled the momentum Ravenna was trying to maintain durung the rally. What's worst? Spirito blocked him. Both teams could've won the match but those little mistakes you make in a rally and during the tie break can lead to regrets if the game ks close. That serve that netted but dropped to Ravenna's side... Very lucky for Stern and Verona.

#FreeBritney

• I just realized that at least if Trento will lose 3-0 or 3-1 vs Perugia we won't lose our great 11th position :lol:

Nowhere else to go but up. :super:

Although I am hearing rumours of Perugia not 100% healthy. James Shaw is probably not in full condition so that could be a factor Trentino can exploit along with Perugia's busy but maybe a weak fixture this week. It's not much but that's an opportunity to take advantage of. Can't complain when it could've been much worse. :lol:

#FreeBritney