US NCAA Women's VB

• What happened to Plummer? It might be me but she seems kinda off tempo a bit lately. She doesn't seem to jump that high anymore. Is she okay? It is way too early to be exhausted.

KP was limping during a recent match; I have mentioned before, here, that she had a knee operation after her Sophomore season. Perhaps that's catching up to her. One of the inside jokes among Stanford aficionados (plus haters/ trolls) is the catchphrase "Plummer looks gassed"! Yo: she's just focused and relaxed.

• NEWEST AVCA POLL 9/23/19 (first place votes in parentheses)

1) STANFORD (28)

2) BAYLOR (27)

3) NEB. (6)

4) PITT (1) -- bet they would've been #2-3 if they had beaten PSU)

5) PENN. ST

6) TX.

7) MINN.

8)WASH

9) BYU (2) -- those first place votes are an (overreaction) joke!

10) MARQ.

#11-16 (potential NCAA seeded teams): Hawai'i; FL.; WIS; Creighton(?); PUR; Kentucky - COL. ST should have been in there: Not KY. BIG drop-off after #10 & 14

• So I have a Q: Stanford scheduled 6 OOC/ pre-conference-season matches against 5 teams in the current top-10; one #12. They went 4-2 in those; 6-2 overall. Baylor, on the other hand, is 9-0 after scheduling NO matches against the Top 10; several against those in the #10-25 range. SO, who should be number one?

• So I have a Q: Stanford scheduled 6 OOC/ pre-conference-season matches against 5 teams in the current top-10; one #12. They went 4-2 in those; 6-2 overall. Baylor, on the other hand, is 9-0 after scheduling NO matches against the Top 10; several against those in the #10-25 range. SO, who should be number one?

Stanford because of quality of opponents. Baylor will have to prove it against Texas and Kansas in Conference.

• Just came back from another foray into international VB -- "USA NT 2019" -- Whew! Tough crowd...particularly those non-American posters saying what's best for the USWNT. Interesting. Anyway, there're quite a number of NCAA Top-18 matches on tap for Wednesday. This kicks off most teams' conference seasons.

#4 PITT.(11-1) @ Virginia; 6:30P EDT

#5 PSU (7-2) vs. MICH ST; 8P EDT

#6 TX.(6-2) vs IA. ST; 7P CDT

#8 WASH.(9-1) @ WA ST.; 5:30P PDT

#10 MARQ.(10-2) vs Butler; 11:30A CDT

#18 Utah (8-3) vs COLO; 7P MDT

• RESULTS FROM ABOVE-REFERENCED MATCHES:

PITT def. VIRGINIA 3-0

PENN ST. def. MICH ST. 3-0

TX. def. Iowa St 3-1

WASH. was defeated by WSU 1-3

MARQ def. Butler 3-0

UT def. Colorado 3-0

• Funny. WSU beat Washington in 4 . Washington beat Stanford in 4 . Stanford beat California in 4 and Cal beat WSU in 5 ;)

All other Top 10 Teams wins this Weekend.

• Strange season so far. This past week only had 2 upsets in the Top-10 (Purdue got swept twice at #15; never took them seriously). Wash. lost to Wash St. then defeated Stanford. Again, it's still September: I will start being concerned if the reigning champs don't get a home seed come November to December NCAAs

• The current AVCA poll standings show: 1) Not much inertia towards major change (Stanford @#3; I would have picked them fourth or fifth); 2) The importance of strength-of-schedule & RPI (think SU ranks #1/#2, respectively, in each); 3) The increasing parity in NCAA WVB. Guys keep saying "grow the sport"? It's here.

• WEDNESDAY 10/02 -- Top B1G Matches (and a few other ranked teams)

#2 NEB swept Rutgers 3-0

#5 PENN ST LOST TO #13 WIS 1-3

#7 MINN. got by Iowa 3-1

#1 BAY defeated OK 3-0

#6 TX. beat TCU 3-0

#10 MARQ defeated Xavier 3-1

(AND our Who Cares? match of the night:) #22 MIZZ. got by LSU 3-1

• TONITE 10/04/19

#3 Stanford at ORE

#4 PITT at Miami

#8 WASH. at Usc

#11 HAW. versus Uci

#14 Creighton at St. Johns

#15 KY versus S. Carolina

#17 PURD versus N'western

#18 ILL at Indiana

#19 CAL at ORE. ST.

#20 Utah at ARIZ

Those are the most relevant matches and teams goin' at it tonight. In my opinion, the listed squads are most in-line for a Top-16 seed, which = home court.

• STANFORD defeated OR 3-1; Kathryn Plummer didn't participate at all in the match; I will check sources to see what happened there. Others came through.

UPDATE: evidently, she is out for the weekend, meaning SU will be without KP for the road match in Corvallis vs OSU. She had been having a massive amount of taping around her upper legs, butt, and core area. The team changed it up a lot: Fitzmorris played 6-ro; Kipp was OH1; McClure OH2; C. Keefe DS>Formico.