2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships - Doha

• anyone here follows athletics/track&field????

only been watching a few of the events... lots of controversy already this year.

first, the choice of QAT for this was utterly ridiculous. the weather is insanely hot, so they scheduled the marathon and walks to start at close to midnight, and even then, it's ridiculously hot and humid. in the women's marathon, close to 1/3 of athletes did not finish.

they are spending tons of money to air-condition the open stadium!!!! so the athletes inside are competing in temps in the 70's (20's).

worse, the stadium is pretty empty!

then, the controversy on the new rules restricting athletes that are intersexed,with high testosterone levels, from several women's events, from 400 to 1,500 m. that means all 3 medalists in women's 800 from rio olympics are not here. one athlete, from niger, seyni, shifted from 400 to 200 so she could participate... also IND's dutee chand was not affected (she competed in the 100).

but lots of great events so far. warholm won the 400 m H today... the 3 ingebrigtsen boys running in the 5000 m... huge upset in men's LJ. SAFP winning another 100 m (albeit in an empty stadium)... etc.

• I follow Athletics and I'm very disappointed by the audience. I think that these WCH and 2022 World Cup can prove that there is no sense to give organization to such countries like Qatar, because except all Sheikhs no one is interested in such events there.

Polish athletes actually say that temperature at the stadium is ok but way from stadium to hotel is difficult, but it's not the biggest problem for them.

For me it's hard to feel that we have World Champs.

• The standard of competition has actually been very good and we're getting excellent results across various events. It's such a shame that everything else about this championship sucks, from the terrible schedule to horrendous crowd attendance and dead atmosphere.

I particularly enjoyed the women's high jump last night. After a long while, 2 m wasn't enough to get a medal and Yaroslava Mahuchikh was seriously impressive to set a new junior WR. Lasitskene is still in a class of her own, but she's getting some real competition!

• The standard of competition has actually been very good and we're getting excellent results across various events. It's such a shame that everything else about this championship sucks, from the terrible schedule to horrendous crowd attendance and dead atmosphere.

I particularly enjoyed the women's high jump last night. After a long while, 2 m wasn't enough to get a medal and Yaroslava Mahuchikh was seriously impressive to set a new junior WR. Lasitskene is still in a class of her own, but she's getting some real competition!

True. Oh God I miss days of Blanka Vlasic

205cm silver at Olympics....Mahuchikh can break WR after so many years but She can't stop working.

• True. Oh God I miss days of Blanka Vlasic

205cm silver at Olympics....Mahuchikh can break WR after so many years but She can't stop working.

And Beth Rutia got gold in Rio with 1.99 afar. And Lasitskene is good until 2.02, then she struggles, but it doesn't change the fact she is very good.

• And Beth Rutia got gold in Rio with 1.99 afar. And Lasitskene is good until 2.02, then she struggles, but it doesn't change the fact she is very good.

Yeah but She is Only 19 years and She jumped over 204cm at age...

• oh, gosh, i thought the wHJ final was exciting! i don't follow the sport as much, mostly every 2 years (for WCh and OG), so i never heard of mahuchikh, but what is exciting about HJ and PV is that sometimes an athlete can come back from the dead if they can clear the latest height... you know, someone like mahuchikh, she was struggling and missing heights, then clearing them on 3rd try, so she was behind the other top women. i think when there were only 4 left, she was in 4th place, then she cleared a height that others couldn't, so she vaulted to 2nd at the end! something like that. similar in the PV, the SWE girl, bengtsson, kept missing then squeaking by, like a cat with 9 lives, until her luck ran out. that was exciting... lasitskiene is still top dog, but unfort. for her and sidorova, they are ANA, so no russian flag or hymn for them.

seyni went out in the w200 semis, so no controversy in the finals... i thought the m800 was exciting too, vasquez went out on a suicidal pace, but i guess that's what it was gonna take for him to win, but didn't work. btw did you guys think the mixed 4x400 relay was sort of ... weird? it was hard to watch the poor POL anchorwoman (swiety) get run down by 4 guys in the last lap, to finish 5th. i guess POL's strategy (like vasquez) didn't work...

the mPV final was also exciting today...

i didn't see the w800 semis, only the final, i heard nakaayi ran dirty in the semis, shoving and pushing others, but strangely didn't get DQ... but she got the gold in the final... i'd like to see the semi race but it's not on YT yet...

as expected, lots of kenyans, ethiopians, nigerians, cubans competing for other countries, mostly QAT and BRN... ironic that AZE that usually imports athletes lost guliyev to TUR... i wonder what happened that he didn't want to compete for AZE... too bad that he is injured, he came out at the end of the 200 like a bat out of hell, but couldn't catch the others and didn't medal...

• are polish people known to be super tall, like dutch? 'cause not only the men's VB team is super tall, but it seems POL are good at throws... hammer, shot, discus...

I heard once that Dutch people had some years ago action named "eating growth hormone" and result of this was that they are the highest nation in Europe. And about Poland, it's varied a lot. But I have impression that the new generation in Poland is higher than previous ones. Average height of Polish man is one of the top of the world - 177,4cm, but don't know how the rest looks.

We were always good in technical disciplines while having less chances in running competitions.

• dalilah muhammad 52.16!!!!!!!!! new WR!!!!!!

CUB women go 1-2 in DT (perez, caballero)...

She can even run 400m..

• I love the graphics they did for this, it's much more neat now and you can see the complete current standing for the field events.

The direction of the live transmission isn't good tho. 3000m steeplechase had a crazy photo-finish, they didn't even bother to show a replay; they completely ignored the women's discus final in the live feed; there was a weird moment in women's shot put where a Jamaican athlete had a gold-winning shot, but it was called fault, and they didn't show a replay of the shot or the reason it was called fault.

Still, Athletics WCh is always fun to watch anyway.

• i was very upset about the coverage today, dalilah muhammad broke the world record, and they didn't even show much of the celebration, they broke away immediately to focus on the MEN's HJ; and as you said, they didn't show much of the w DT... all they did was focus on the m HJ... sorry, i didn't care for that.

but the 4x100 relays first round (for both men and women) were exciting... poor CAN men, they ran under 38 and did not make the finals, even though they ran faster than the US, who did...

• i just hope sifan hassan is clean (you know, salazar connection...).

obiri sprinting at the end of the 5000 was crazy. i’d be so dead after 4,800 m, “what, you want me to sprint?????” i wouldn’t even be standing...

such bad scheduling, they didn’t allow for 1500/5000 double...