Japan Women's NT 2022

• Shimamura has always been in the vanguard of Japanese hair styling :mirror:

• It's scary how much differently Japan's A-Team and B-Team fared against the Philippines in that Friendly Match =O

• Airi Miyabe has that USA "not drowning, waving" approach to her serve and swing

Yoshino Sato needs to rid herself of the apologetic face after she gets blocked or hits one out. No place for that in Japan NT

• It's scary how much differently Japan's A-Team and B-Team fared against the Philippines in that Friendly Match =O

This is my reaction also while watching it live. Although the Philippines changed some of their players also in the latter sets, I didn't expect a closer match. Japan's 2nd unit moved differently and Yoshino Sato seemed to be not confident enough. The sets of Miyashita is more predictable also, and they kind of retained the same lineup (although they put in Airi) in the 4th set, but changed the setter to Seki, and I think the flow improved well. That combination would not go well with the strong teams.

• This is my reaction also while watching it live. Although the Philippines changed some of their players also in the latter sets, I didn't expect a closer match. Japan's 2nd unit moved differently and Yoshino Sato seemed to be not confident enough. The sets of Miyashita is more predictable also, and they kind of retained the same lineup (although they put in Airi) in the 4th set, but changed the setter to Seki, and I think the flow improved well. That combination would not go well with the strong teams.

Is there some memo I missed as to why the announcer called Ishikawa "John"? That's Shimamura's name ?(

Other than that I have a real soft spot for PHI announcers. The way they can say "We'll be lucky to make double digits this set" with overflowing love in their heart is so endearing <3

As for Yoshino. I'm :( . She is pure stud in Uni ball. The meek thing she has going on is puzzling. Whatever she had been doing in training that let Manabe start her in the opening match is lost, I guess. As long as she keeps serving hard I'll keep believing

I think this week might be Hayashi's coming out party. She looks jumpy and ready to fly

• If it's on the TV broadcast, I didn't hear it since I watched it live. Maybe just a mistake on their part. The Filipino fans know our team's level and just happy that we had a closer set 3. Even the Filipino players themselves looked so happy and even giggling at times during mid rally whenever they dig a strong hit from Japan.

They had the hardest time blocking and digging Hayashi. Set 3 wouldn't be that close if she stayed. I'm glad they gave the playing time to the bench though. I'm relieved that they did not pull out Yoshino there, and let her finish the set, since she looked like her confidence will be totally gone if they replaced her after all those errors. Her face when she looks at the bench/coaching staff after her errors is so sad to watch.

She had a good serve. Watching it close though, I'm most impressed with Mayu's serve. :super:

Airi looked so lost in the court and had to ask Seki a couple of times before the rally on where she should stand. She also moves slower than the others and still adjusting. I'm happy to see her finally play with the team though.

Overall, the Japan team is so serious on court. Far different from the Thailand match the day before where everyone is just having fun.

I'm excited for the matches this week! :dance6:

• If it's on the TV broadcast, I didn't hear it since I watched it live.

I guess I don't know which is which. I watched the one/two linked in the thread here. I would love a better HD stream of the match. I've already re-watched it :) I stitched the two streams together, cut out all the commercials, cropped it so it didn't have the whatever AD thing on 206 pixels of the bottom. I loved the match. I love the PHI team even tho I didn't know half the players and Majoy wasn't there. I can't explain my attraction to PHI, but it's strong, and hopeful

I'm most impressed with Mayu's serve

For sure. It's a thing of beauty

For jump-ish servers like Yoshino, if they wimp on the serve too they are completely gone. It does give me hope that she's still serving with confidence. I'm hanging by a thread with Yoshino. She probably had as many points as errors. Is that not a good ratio? :rolll:

• Phew! I'm glad I downloaded that friendly match. It's been removed

• No Yamada this week :| Yokota instead

• Yoshino Sato scored 9 points in that infamous third set against PHI

33% kill ratio is nothing to write home about, but the apologetic loser face image is unnecessary and must go

Points 6

OUT 2

Blocked 1

Dug 9 (4 were garbage collection)

Blocks 2

Aces 1

She needs some Shimamura Bat Wings

<3

I am so down with Shimamura over this

• I was so ready to like that new college rookie because who doesn't like a good surprise right? but her performance has been very underwhelming so far. My first impression was that she kinda reminded me of Arisa Takada but I would say Takada is only a little bit better than her which still doesn't say much. Ready to swap her out for Kaneda or literally any of the other OHs in the roster ehem that PFU girl who lost her chance.

• Koga is my Captain :rose:

• Seems novel for Japan to be as successful as they are from zone 4