2011 Pan American Games - Mexico, Guadalajara

• since I saw that this topic was opened on the women section and not here...even though the matches start on the 24th :)

Group A: Argentina, Cuba, Mexico and Venezuela
    Group B: Brazil, USA, Puerto Rico and Canada

rosters:

Argentina
    URIARTE, Nicolás - 21/3/1990
    CAVANNA, Maximiliano - 2/7/1988
    PEREYRA, Federico - 19/6/1988
    CASTELLANI, Iván - 19/1/1991
    SOLÉ, Sebastián - 12/6/1991
    CRER, Pablo - 12/6/1989
    GAUNA, Maximiliano - 29/4/1989
    GIUSTINIANO, Mariano - 4/4/1986
    BRUNO, Nicolás - 24/2/1989
    QUIROGA, Gonzalo - 25/2/1993
    TORO, Alejandro - 20/7/1989
    LÓPEZ, Franco - 4/2/1989

Brazil
    BRUNO MOSSA DE REZENDE
    EDER CARBONERA
    GUSTAVO ENDRES
    LUIZ FELIPE FONTELES
    MÁRIO DA SILVA PEDREIRA JUNIOR
    MAURÍCIO LUIZ DE SOUZA
    MURILO RADKE
    RENATO RUSSOMANO DOS SANTOS
    RICARDO LUCARELLI SANTOS DE SOUZA
    THIAGO SOARES ALVES
    WALLACE LEANDRO DE SOUZA
    WALLACE JANSEN DE SOUZA MARTINS

USA
    2 Tony Ciarelli (OH, 6-6, Huntington Beach, Calif., USC)
    3 Evan Patak (Opp, 6-8, Pleasanton, Calif., UC Santa Barbara)
    5 Eric Vance (OH, 6-4, Camarillo, Calif., Cal State Northridge)
    6 Nick Vogel (MB, 6-9, El Cajon, Calif., UCLA)
    8 Kyle Caldwell (S, 6-9, Newport Beach, Calif., UCLA)
    10 Matt Rawson (MB, 6-7, Los Angeles, Calif., Hawaii)
    11 Matt Stork (OH, 6-5, Topanga, Calif., Cal State Northridge)
    12 Kirk Francis (L, 5-11, Torrance, Calif., Long Beach State)
    14 Cody Loe (MB, 6-8, Chatsworth, Calif., Cal State Northridge)
    15 Jordan DuFault (OH, 6-4, Lakewood, Calif., UC Irvine)
    16 Tri Bourne (OH, 6-5, Honolulu, Hawai'i, USC, Aloha)

aaand I couldn't find the other ones ...

• Argentina has even a younger roster than the young roster of the SACh! I'm glad Uriarte will play as titoular this time ;)

Nice to see alzo Quiroga's brother in the roster!

• yeah because of course they can't call anyone that plays here in Europe...but I'm glad that Nico will finally play titular :D
    hope to see Ivan playing too, though Pereyra is there so Idk.. couldn't he play in Europe too? :lol:

the only complete team is Cuba and OF COURSE Argentina plays the first day against them...going to be a though one, but Venezuela and Mexico, well, I guess it won't be a problem...
    I'm curious to see if Weber will make little Quiroga play sometimes :)

oh, and the schedule (in Guadalajara's timezone, I only know that Italy is 7 hours ahead of them, if I didn't check wrong.. I'm so used with Argentina-Brasil timezone so I was sure at the beginning that it was only 5 hours then I realized it was a bit more on the west...LOL)

day 1 - 24/10
    H13.00 USA - Puerto Rico
    H15.00 Cuba - Argentina
    H18.00 Brasil - Canada
    H20.00 Venezuela - Mexico

day 2 - 25/10
    H13.00 Brasil - Puerto Rico
    H15.00 Cuba - Venezuela
    H18.00 USA - Canada
    H20.00 Argentina - Mexico

day 3 - 26/10
    H13.00 Puerto Rico - Canada
    H15.00 Argentina - Venezuela
    H18.00 Cuba - Mexico
    H20.00 Brasil - USA

and then quarter finals, semifinals and the finals are the 29th :)

• Results one day:

Mexico Venezuela: 3 /1 : (25/23,25/20,26/28,25/21)

Cuba Argentina: 3/2 : (25/22, 18/28, 24/26,25/18,15/13)

Brazil Canada :3/0 : (25/17, 25/13, 25/13)

Usa Puerto Rico: 3/2 (22/25, 25/19,20/25,25/16,15/13)

• Happy with Argentina's game, they probably missed their most important players (...except Gonzalez, actually.haha.) and did a good match.
    Seeing Solè (who is the youngest one, with Gonzalo Quiroga lol) as captain was weird, but he definitely deserves it.
    I was really impressed by their blocking (esp by the middleblockers of course, but I was really surprised when Uriarte blocked all alone Leon, woah :D), Pereyra did too many mistakes as usual, Giustiniano was great (no doubt about that though) and he was best scorer for Argentina.
    As usual too many mistakes on defense and I think they made more than an entire set of mistakes on the serve... but Uriarte made 4 aces :lol: I'm proud of him :lol:

today against Mexico, I hope that Castellani will play a bit.

• Quarter finals (local time):

Argentina-USA h18.00
    Puerto Rico - Mexico h20.00

I don't get btw why they put matches at only 2 hours distance, considering that a match can last for 2hours and a half :lol:

semifinals are tomorrow at 14 and 17, Cuba and Brazil already qualified because they ended first in their groups.

I'm nervous :lol:

• Argentina is facing USA and Brazil, it's too hard for these young boys. Considering USA's squad, they may conquer the USA but have no chance against Brazil.
    Hope captain Sole can finish a bronze medal. :)

• Oct 28 17:00 local time (24:00 CET) Argentina vs Brazil
    I hope Argentina could win this but I still predict they lose 0-3 to Brazil.

• Argentina-Brazil ONCE AGAAAAAIN. oh well.
    I'm glad they arrived in semifinals but I was kind of disappointed yesterday because they arrived to tiebreak because they kind of didn't play for 2 sets :/

times for tonight:
    17:00h Brazil - Argentina
    19:00h Cuba - Mexico

luckily they play the first one, which will be at midnight here, yesterday I was falling asleep during the 4th set :lol:

I haven't seen Brazil play, I know that the only player from the "first" team is Bruninho, but they won all the matches easily. well, we'll see tonight.

• Argentina wasn' so bad yesterday, but AS USUAL, lost to Brazil.... I can't believe it, I'm sure that is mostly because they get nervous because they're Brazil, not because they're better .Especially THIS team. I believed they could make it when, in the 2nd set, they went from 16-9 for Brasil to 22-22 :((( but, well, once again. 3-1.

today:
    H18 Argentina-Mexico
    H20 Cuba-Brazil

• Argentina wasn' so bad yesterday, but AS USUAL, lost to Brazil.... I can't believe it, I'm sure that is mostly because they get nervous because they're Brazil, not because they're better .Especially THIS team. I believed they could make it when, in the 2nd set, they went from 16-9 for Brasil to 22-22 :((( but, well, once again. 3-1.

today:
    H18 Argentina-Mexico
    H20 Cuba-Brazil

Yes, I kinda agree with you. Though I think Brazil had a better team, I was really surprised by how good Argentina played (specially the first half of the match), and Brazil didn't impress me very much. The comeback in the second set was amazing. I think if argentinians had pushed a little bit harder, maybe things could've turned out different. In the fourth set, they gave up.

As for Brazil, I realized that after Rubinho changed Luiz Felipe for Renato, throughout the match, the line up was very similar to Cimed two years ago, when they became champions of Superliga for the 3rd consecutive time. The only "odd men out" would be Gustavo and Wallace. The other five all played in that team. So, I kinda expected a bit more as well.

It's tough to predict now. I thought, judging by that, that Cuba would have an edge in the final. But I've read they nearly got eliminated by Mexico, who had an advantage of 13 x 11 in the 5th set. So, who knows?