World League 2012 - Qualifications

• Canada will take on Slovakia while China will clash with Egypt for a place in the second round of qualification for the 2012 FIVB Volleyball World League it was announced by the FIVB on Thursday.

Slovakia was the last team to earn the chance to take part in the premier annual men’s volleyball tournament after they sealed an epic 3-2 (25-22, 22-25, 24-26, 25-22, 15-12) win over Spain in the final of the European League on Sunday and they will now face Canada, who were the highest-finishing team yet to have a place in the World League at the Pan-American Cup in June. The Canadians will have home advantage when they welcome their European rivals to Scotiabank Place in Ottawa on July 29 and 30.

Meanwhile China saw off Iran to book their place in the qualification round against Egypt, who were selected as the team to represent Africa by the CAVB. Taicang will host the two matches on July 30 and 31 and the home fans will be hoping to see China move one step closer to their first participatin in the World League since 2010 after missing out this year. Egypt did not take part in this year’s tournament due to the political uncertainty in the country at the time.

Depending on the results, the winners of the two first round matches will then face either Puerto Rico or Portugal, the two sides that finished lowest in this year’s edition of the tournament. The dates and locations for these matches will be announced at a later time.

Japan were exempt from having to face a play down match after they were forced to play all their Intercontinental Round matches away from home following the devastating earthquake which hit the country earlier this year.
    FIVB

• Slovakia NT for qual. matches against Canada
    S: Michal Masný, Juraj Zatko
    OH: Lukaš Diviš, Martin Sopko, Štefan Chrtiansky
    MB: Tomaš Kmeť, Emanuel Kohut, Tibor Filo
    Opp: Milan Bencz, Peter Michalovič, Martin Nemec
    L: Robert Hupka

edit: Michalovic is injured (shoulder) and not in Canada, instead there is OH Mikula http://www.svf.sk/Default.aspx?CatID=668&NewsID=6212

I am more curious what brought Robert Hupka to the position of a libero.. Michalovic has had some very decent games in the European League, but I like Bencz, so I think Michalovic's absence won't be crucial. Nemec is out of shape, as far as I know, I don't know whether he would be given any chance at all. Also, where is Frantisek Ogurcak? I think he has his place in the team. The overall success of Slovakia will surely depend on the Canadian roster as well, they have been lacking some major competition recently.

• I am more curious what brought Robert Hupka to the position of a libero.. Michalovic has had some very decent games in the European League, but I like Bencz, so I think Michalovic's absence won't be crucial. Nemec is out of shape, as far as I know, I don't know whether he would be given any chance at all. Also, where is Frantisek Ogurcak? I think he has his place in the team. The overall success of Slovakia will surely depend on the Canadian roster as well, they have been lacking some major competition recently.

Ondrusek has a wedding at the weekend and Kubs is injured ;) Nemec is not out of shape, he had broken finger and was practising during the end of european league...Ogurcak had some problems with Zanini (different opinions - see this article http://www.volleycountry.com/c…-rozdielne-predstavy.html, so I think he will not play under him )

• Ondrusek has a wedding at the weekend and Kubs is injured ;) Nemec is not out of shape, he had broken finger and was practising during the end of european league...Ogurcak had some problems with Zanini (different opinions - see this article http://www.volleycountry.com/c…-rozdielne-predstavy.html, so I think he will not play under him )

which means exactly that Nemec is still not in shape ;) too bad for Ogurcak!

• Another 1st round match between China and Egypt will be take on July 30 and 31, 1400pm, in Taicang, China.

• which means exactly that Nemec is still not in shape ;) too bad for Ogurcak!

eeeh, i will not be surprised if Nemec will play in starting 6 :lol:

• IMO Slovakia is fav here. I've watched Canada on Pan Am Cup month ago and they didn't impress me at all. Although they were missing 1 or 2 players still it was squad from last WCH. Slovakia showed good volleyball under Zanini and played much harder matches during this summer. They had some problems on reception, Ondrusek is big blow...

• Actually I reviewed the final of EuroLeague and Espanya impressed me more. I don't like the opp of SVK, left-hand, low attacking point and many fouls, recalling me of Lasko, who is really disappointing in some matches.

• Actually I reviewed the final of EuroLeague and Espanya impressed me more. I don't like the opp of SVK, left-hand, low attacking point and many fouls, recalling me of Lasko, who is really disappointing in some matches.

Bencz was not playing well in final...but he can play solid game...

Yes Bencz didn't have good game, Michalovich came in but Bencz is decent player :wavy: Slovakia main power are great MB Kohut and Kmet IMO

• Good news, CCTV-5 will broadcast the 1st round qualification between China&Egypt, tomorrow GMT 6:00.