20 - 25 July France World Series 13
    27 - 1 August Austria A1 Grand Slam 10 presented by Volksbank
    03 - 08 August Poland Mazuri Grand Slam
    10 - 15 August Norway Otera Open Kristiansand 2010
    17 - 22 August Finland Paf Open
    24 - 29 August Netherlands Milner Open

• 20 - 25 April Brazil Brasilia Open

Olympic Champions Reign Supreme at Men’s Brasília Open
    While legendary Brazilian Emanuel Rego became the first international Beach Volleyball player to win over US$2-million in a career, 2008 Olympic champions Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers became the first American men’s team to capture a SWATCH FIVB World Tour gold medal in this South American country in 14 years by winning the Brasília Open title here Sunday.

Seeded third in the Main Draw for the Brasília Open, the season-opening SWATCH FIVB World Tour event on the international calendar in 2010, Dalhausser and Rogers scored a 21-16 and 21-12 and win in 38 minutes over the fifth-seeded Emanuel and Alison Cerutti to share the $30,000 first-place prize. It was the American ninth international gold medal as the pair has now won its last three SWATCH starts after topping the podium in their final two FIVB appearances last season in France (Marseille) and Austria (Klagenfurt).

The last time an American men’s team had won on Brazilian sand was in 1996 in Fortaleza where Mike Dodd and Mike Whitmarsh claimed the gold medal. Since then, Brazilian pairs had won 15 of the last 17 Brazilian stops with two German teams breaking through in 2004 and 2006. Teams from the United States had won the first seven Brazilian FIVB stops, including five by Sinjin Smith and Randy Stoklos (1987, 1989-1992).

With his share of the $21,000 second-place prize, Emanuel has now accumulated $2,004,485 for 194 FIVB events since 1994. Emanuel, who captured the 2009 Brasília Open title with Ricardo Santos after defeating Alison and Harley Marques in the finals, has won 70 FIVB gold medals while playing in 98 finals while reaching the podium 132 times with 143 “final four” finishes.

In winning a gold medal on Brazilian sand for the first-time, Dalhausser and Rogers also avenged a title setback to Emanuel and Ricardo Santos in 2007 in Fortaleza. The 2007 world champions, Dalhausser and Rogers also became the first American men’s team to win an opening SWATCH FIVB World Tour event since 2003 when compatriots Dain Blanton and Jeff Nygaard topped the year’s first podium in Rhodes, Greece.

In the first set of the gold medal match, Dalhausser and Rogers scored the first two points then jumped out to a 8-3 before pulling by nine at 16-9 before Alison and Emanuel closed to 19-15. Rogers ended the set on a cross-court kill. The deciding set was much closer as the Brazilians started out with the first two-points and the teams went back and forth early including three ties but the last was at 6-6 before the Americans ran six straight points . The built the lead up to 20-10 with Dalhausser blocks and Rogers sets and several kills of various movements.

“Both of us were in a good zone and everything went our way and not much went their way,” said Dalhausser. “I think that playing three matches yesterday helped us both get into a very good rhythm for the championship match.”

Rogers added, “We decided the serve the middle which worked and our experience as a team did give us a little edge. Being the first international tournament of the year and with all the great Brazilian players, I have always felt that this is the toughest tournament of the year. If you are playing in Brazil, you will be playing the best.”

In reaching their 12th SWATCH FIVB World Tour final in 26 international starts together, Dalhausser and Rogers had to win three Brasília Open elimination matches. One of the wins were Saturday when Dalhausser and Rogers eliminated 2009 world champions and second-seeded Julius Brink and Jonas Reckermann of Germany.

Sunday’s finale was the 43rd SWATCH FIVB World gold medal match featuring Brazilian and American teams. With Brazil now leading 24-19, Dalhausser and Rogers are 4-3 against South American pairs in the finals, including 2-0 against Alison and 2-3 against Emanuel.

In Sunday’s all-Brazilian bronze medal match held on another jam packed Brasília center court stadium prior to the championship final, seventh-seeded Benjamin Insfran and Bruno Oscar Schmidt of Brazil defeated 11th-seeded Pedro Cunha and Thiago Santos Barbosa, 21-18 and 21-12 in 43 minutes. It was a rematch of their winner’s bracket quarterfinal match on Friday that Benjamin and Bruno won in three sets in the first meeting between the newly paired teams. The bronze medalists earned $15,000 while Cunha and Thiago collected $11,200 for their fourth place placement.

The Brasília Open was the first of 12 double gender events on 2010 SWATCH FIVB World Tour calendar. With the Brazilian capital celebrating its 50th anniversary this past week, crowds exceeding 1-million attended various holiday activities on the Esplanada dos Ministérios in Brasília, especially during Wednesday’s anniversary celebrations which featured the unveiling event of the largest SWATCH watch in Latin America as well as the Brasília Open tournament.

• 03 - 08 May China Shanghai Open presented by City Beach

Pedro and Harley win gold in Shanghai
    Duo's from Brazil picked up the gold and bronze medals while Germany claimed the silver medal Saturday, concluding the men’s competition at the $US380,000 Shanghai Open presented by City Beach. The Chinese port city is hosting the international Beach Volleyball community this week in the Jinshan District for the seventh-straight year.

In the gold medal finale, fifth-seeded Pedro Salgado and Harley Marques of Brazil defeated Germany’s fourth-seeded Julius Brink and Jonas Reckermann in three sets, 21-15, 13-21 and 17-15 in 62 minutes. With the victory Harley captured his fourth straight Shanghai Open gold medal and his third with Salgado. Harley won last year here with Alison Cerutti, who partners Emanuel Rego this season. Salgado and Harley now have a perfect 10-0 career record in FIVB gold medal matches.

With only one weeks practice ahead of the event - as they played with different partners last year and at the season-opener two weeks ago - Salgado and Harley have now helped Brazil extend its lead in gold medal matches to 17-7 again teams from Germany.

Despite their two-set loss to Brink and Reckermann in the third round, Salgado and Harley turned things around from the start of the gold medal match. In the first set, Salgado and Harley jumped to early leads of 3-1 and 8-3 before the Germans closed it to 10-8 and then again to 16-14 after the Brazilians had taken a 15-8 lead. With two aces and two strategically placed shots by Harley, sending the Brazilians to a 20-14 lead, they ended the set on following a Harley kill off of Reckermann’s block attempt for the 21-15 final score. Harley had three aces in the first set.

In the second set Brink and Reckerman rallied back and broke open a close game. After it tying at 8-8, the Germans reeled off six straight points and held onto the lead until taking the set 21-13. In a back and forth third set, the Brazilians finally prevailed even though both teams built up leads of two points. The Germans tied the score at 11-11 after a Harley kill into the net. In the final stretch of points, the score was tied five times until the Brazilians scored two final points on a Harley ace down to the left corner and Salgado’s block of a Brink attack to put the match to bed.

“I knew we would get our game back quickly, even though we didn’t play together last year, but this quick was even more than we anticipated,” commented Harley at the post-match press conference. “We knew we had to make some big plays to beat the Germans and in the end we came up with just enough to grab the gold medal. It is remarkable to win here in Shanghai four straight years, it’s almost like it has become a new home for me in this part of the world. It was actually good for us to come back through the contender’s bracket because it gave us more matches and more competition to help us concentrate and focus like I know we can. I knew I had to come up with something so I went for the ace and got it and Pedro ended it all with a great block.”

Salgado and Harley went 7-1 in Shanghai while Brink and Reckermann, the reigning FIVB World Champions, ended with a 5-2 record in the tournament. In addition to their gold medals, the Brazilians will split the winner’s $30,000 purse while the Germans will share a $21,000 purse in addition to their silver medals.

In the bronze medal match prior to the championship finale on the Jinshan City Beach center court, Brazil’s third-seeded Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego defeated USA’s top seeded Todd Rogers and Phil Dalhausser in three sets, 21-16, 12-21 and 15-13 in a 50-minute medal match. It was a rematch of the gold medal match two weeks ago in Brazil which was won by the Americans in two sets. While the first two sets weren’t close, the deciding third was tied four times with the final one at 10-10 as Rogers and Dalhausser jumped out to a 3-0 lead before the Brazilians rallied with Alison blocks and Emanuel cross-court kills to defeat the Americans.

For winning the bronze medal, Alison and Emanuel, who had a 4-2 record in the tournament, will split the $15,000 third-place purse while Dalhausser and Rogers, who also had a 4-2 record in the tournament, earned a split of $11,200 for their fourth place placement.

In the semifinal matches earlier on Saturday, Salgado and Harley defeated Rogers and Dalhausser, 21-18 and 21-13 in 40 minutes and Brink and Reckermann defeated Alison and Emanuel in three sets, 21-14, 18-21 and 16-14 in 60 minutes. Salgado and Harley moved edged to a 3-2 record between the two sides in FIVB series history while it was the first meeting between the Brazilian combination of Alison and Emanuel against Brink and Reckermann. Rogers and Dalhausser, the 2008 Olympic gold medal winners had won the gold medal in their last three appearances on the SWATCH FIVB World Tour, including the season-opener two weeks ago in Brazil.

The Shanghai Open was the second of 12 double-gender events on the 2010 SWATCH FIVB World Tour calendar. This year’s tournament featured an event record of 70 men’s teams and an event record-tying 61 women’s teams competing in Shanghai.

• Italian star Alberto Cisolla will test his skills on sand at the Grand Slam in Rome
    Rome, Italy, April 15, 2010. Italian star Alberto Cisolla, former captain of the national team, silver medalist at the Athens Olympics and MVP at the 2005 European Championships as Italy clipped gold in front of the home audience, will make his debut on sand participating in a stop of the FIVB SWATCH World Tour, namely the Grand Slam that will take place in the beautiful scenario of the Foro Italico in Rome. “Ciso” should benefit of a wild card that will allow him to play in the main draw pairing Gianluca Casadei. Alberto, in his first interview about this challenge, sums up the reasons that prompted him to this decision, revealing his great passion for Beach Volleyball.

Why did you make this choice?
    “I must be sincere: it has been already a long time since I started thinking about it. In my spare time I have always played Beach Volleyball. Since years I have been thinking about the possibility of starting this adventure; and playing a World Tour event in Rome is terrific, it will be a unique occasion, a very important showcase. I am sure it will be a great experience”.
    When did you finalize this decision?
    “I have always loved Beach Volleyball. It charms me, even if I am a Volleyball player. This year things have changed because I am not in the national team anymore and so I will have more time for me. I had already considered the opportunity to take part in some stages of the Italian Beach Volleyball Championship and in some CEV tournaments, but when possibility of playing in the World Tour came up, I didn’t think twice and I immediately accepted”.
    Do you feel ready physically and psychologically?
    “I don’t think I have problems physically and I rely on my capacity of adaptation. It is clear that I am really curious to know how I will react on the play court from the technical point of view. We will see what I will be able to do. Mine is just an attempt for the moment, but I have some examples of ex indoor players, like Dutch pair Nummerdor and Schuil, who become real protagonists even on sand. I see no limits then we will see what happens”.
    The World Tour is a challenging circuit, how do you think you will prepare yourself?
    “In this period I am engaged in the semifinals of the national league with my club, so I am focusing on this objective. I will dedicate myself to Beach Volleyball only when the last ball will fall on the ground. I have already talked with my bosses and they agree”.
    What do you expect from this experience?
    “I am an athlete and my competitive spirit will come out, but I must be realist: my only objective is to live an important experience trying to do my best. If results will be negative there won’t be any problems. When my competitive season with Macerata will be over I will try to plan my work on sand, maybe evaluating the possibility of playing some other tournaments. We will decide as we are on the way.”
    Do you mean that your future will be in Beach Volleyball?
    “At the moment it is just the realization of a desire. I have still a contract with Macerata, subsequently I could think of a gradual integration in the Beach Volleyball arena”.
    Do you think about the London Olympics?
    “Who knows, maybe I will be able to play my third Olympics on sand! (laughs)” .

• 18 - 23 May Italy Foro Italico Beach Volley Grand Slam

Dalhausser & Rogers Net Rome Grand Slam Gold Medal Sweep for USA
    It was an American sweep here Sunday evening at the US$600,000 Foro Italico Beach Volley Grand Slam as reigning Olympic champions Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers joined their compatriots Jen Kessy and April Ross with gold medal victories at the third SWATCH FIVB World Tour event of the 2010 season.

With Kessy and Ross defeating a team from Germany for the women’s title, the top-seeded Dalhausser and Rogers followed with a 23-21 and 21-11 win in 47 minutes over fourth-seeded Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego of Brazil on the Parco del Foro Italico centre court.

It was the third meeting between the American and Brazilian men this season with two of the matches for a SWATCH FIVB World Tour titles. Dalhausser and Rogers defeated Alison and Emanuel for the Brasilia gold medal last month 21-16 and 21-12 in 38 minutes. Two weeks ago in China, Alison and Emanuel scored a 21-16, 12-21 and 15-13 bronze medal win in a 50-minute Shanghai match.

“After playing two very tough matches Saturday to reach the semi-finals, it was great to only play two sets in each of our wins today,” said the 36-year old Rogers. “We defeated two very good teams today and we played very well in both matches. It is great to have two gold medals to our credit this season after three events.”

Enroute to splitting the $43,500 first-place prize, Dalhausser and Rogers, opened play Sunday with a 21-14 and 21-17 win in 36 minutes over fifth-seeded Adrian Gavira and Pablo Herrera of Spain. Alison and Emanuel, who split $29,500 for second-place, had to defeat 2009 world champions Julius Brink and Jonas Reckermann of Germany (18-21, 21-19 and 21-19 in 84 minutes) to reach the finals.

Sunday’s two wins also propelled Dalhausser and Rogers to the top spot on the SWATCH FIVB World Tour as the Americans have amassed 1,820 points and $84,700 in winnings this year. Alison and Emanuel are second with 1,740 points and $65,500 in earnings. Brink and Reckermann, the 2009 tour champions, are third (1,400 points, $47,000).

Since the start of the FIVB SWATCH FIVB World Tour in 1987, Brazil and the United Sates have now competed against each other 44 times for an international gold medal with the South Americans leading the series 24-20. While Alison and Emanuel are now 0-2 in FIVB finales, Dalhausser and Rogers are 10-3 with a 5-3 gold medal mark against Brazilian pairs.

In the bronze medal match, Gavira and Herrera earned their first SWATCH FIVB World Tour medal in 2010 on the Parco del Foro Italico center court with a 21-17 and 21-17 win in 47 minutes over Brink and Reckermann, the defending Rome champions. In avenging a defeat to the Germans two weeks ago in an elimination match in Shanghai, Gavira and Herrera split the $23,000 third-place prize. Brink and Reckermann shared $18,400 for fourth-place.

The third of 14 men’s” events on the 2010 SWATCH FIVB World Tour calendar, the Foro Italico Beach Volley Grand Slam also featured the women’s medal matches Sunday where Americans Jen Kessy and April Ross defeated Sara Goller and Laura Ludwig of Germany 21-19 and 21-17 in the women’s finale.

The Foro Italico Beach Volley Grand Slam was also the first of six “major” events on the 2010 SWATCH FIVB World Tour calendar. After the Rome stop, the 2010 SWATCH FIVB World Tour calendar continues with single-gender events (May 25-30) in Seoul (women) and Myslowice (men). After a week off, Moscow hosts the second grand slam event on the 2010 SWATCH FIVB World Tour June 7-14 followed by a men’s-only event June 15-20 Prague, Czech Republic.

• 25 - 30 May Poland Myslowice Open

USA’s Dalhausser & Rogers Net SWATCH FIVB World Tour Polish Gold Medal
    Except for one event and a hand-full of matches, reigning Olympic champions Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers have almost been unbeatable on the SWATCH FIVB World Tour as the Americans won their fifth gold medal in their last six international Beach Volleyball appearances here Sunday to capture the top spot on the podium at the US$190,000 Myslowice Open.

Enroute to capturing their third FIVB gold medal in four SWATCH starts in 2010, the top-seeded Dalhausser and Rogers scored a 21-15 and 21-13 win in 36 minutes over fourth-seeded Adrian Gavira and Pablo Herrera to share the $30,000 first-place prize while avenging a Friday afternoon setback to the Spaniards in the fourth-round of the winner’s bracket.

After losing to Gavira and Herrera in the quarter-finals of the Swiss Grand Slam in Gstaad last July, Dalhausser and Rogers have now won 35 of their last 40 SWATCH FIVB World Tour matches to share over $200,000 in prize money during the six-tournament stretch. The Americans’ fifth-place finish in Switzerland was followed by 2009 Grand Slam titles in France (Marseille) and Austria (Klagenfurt).

Dalhausser and Rogers opened the 2010 season with a gold medal last month in Brazil (Brasilia) followed by a fourth-place finish in China (Shanghai) at the start of May. Since returning to Europe last week in Italy, Dalhausser and Rogers captured the season’s first SWATCH FIVB World Tour Grand Slam in Rome followed by Sunday’s success in Myslowice.

“With fewer events on our domestic tour this season, we are playing more internationally this season,” said the 36-year old Rogers, who now has secured 11 SWATCH FIVB World Tour gold medals, including 10 with Dalhausser. “We have found our comfort zone with all the travel and are playing pretty consistently most of the time. The SWATCH tour has a lot of great teams, so consistent play is a must.”

Gavira and Herrera, who scored a 21-14, 18-21 and 15-11 win over the American champions Friday, split $21,000 for their second-straight podium placement on the SWATCH FIVB World Tour this season and seventh overall in 15 international starts together. The Spaniards are now 2-4 against Dalhausser and Rogers, including a two-set gold medal loss to the Americans in Marseille last July.

In the bronze medal match, second-seeded Julius Brink and Jonas Reckermann of Germany posted a 21-18 and 21-14 win in 44 minutes over fifth-seeded Alison Cerutti and Emanuel Rego of Brazil. Brink and Reckermann, who have now finished second, fourth and third in their last three FIVB events, shared $15,000 after winning five of six matches this week.

“It is good to win a medal at any tournament,” said the 31-year old Reckermann, who teamed with Brink to capture the 2009 SWATCH FIVB World Championships in Stavanger, Norway. “You cannot win every tournament because of the high level of competition on the international tour."

With the Germans playing three less matches due to successfully advancing through the Myslowice Open’s winner’s bracket unbeaten, Alison and Emanuel had to win six-straight elimination matches to reach the “final four” rounds. It marked only the 14th-time a men’s team since 2001 reached a SWATCH FIVB World Tour semi-final after losing in the first round.

In sharing $11,200 for their fourth-place finish, Alison and Emanuel joined Dalhausser and Rogers as the only teams on the international tour this season to reach the semi-finals at each stop. Alison and Emanuel sandwiched gold medal defeats to Dalhausser and Rogers in Brazil and Italy with a bronze medal win in China.

With Brazilians Juliana Felisberta Silva and Larissa Franca capturing this week’s women’s gold medal match in Korea by defeating Americans Angie Akers and Tyra Turner in the Seoul finale, the SWATCH FIVB World Tour players take a week’s break before resuming competition June 7-14 in Russia for a double gender stop in Moscow for the second Grand Slam event on the 2010 calendar.

• A historic day for beach volleyball! The Chinese couple Penggen Wu and Linyin Xu won the Moscow Grand Slam tournament without losing a single match and defeating the super favorites Dalhausser-Rogers after a tight tie-break in the gold medal match! It's China's first ever men's gold medal in the entire history of Swatch-FIVB World Series! This couple has been very succesful over the last three season despite missing the first place. I watched 2-3 of their finals in Marseilles, Moscow, Zagreb, Shanghai and Adelaide (World Tour 2008), as well as Sanya (China, World Tour 2009), all of which they lost. 2008 was for sure their most successful year together, but they were always at most second. However, they finally won even though I would never bet they would do it against the world's best couple - Dalhausser-Rogers. So now Chinese people started winning even beach volley tournaments, I don't know what will follow next :D

• Haha i loved that win soooooooo much. Wu/Xu played really really good and showed great emotions. Finally someone won against Dalhauser/Rogers, i really can't stand Rogers.

• FIRST 7 TEAMS OF WORLD TOUR IN CZECH REPUBLIC

1.Rogers-DalhausserUSA 600
    2.Alison-Emanuel BRA 540
    3.Brink-Reckermann GER 480
    4.Wu-Xu CHN 420
    5.Benjamin-Bruno BRA 360
    -.Gibb-Rossenthal USA 360
    7.Cunha-Thiago BRA 300
    -.Herrera-Gavira ESP 300

• One of the most special events in Swatch-FIVB World Tour calendar in Stavanger (Norway) had a bit of a surprising final - the Norwegian sensational couple Skarlund-Spinnangr against the German couple Klemperer-Koreng, probably Germany's second best team after Brink-Reckermann in recent years. Judging from the fact that Dalhausser-Rogers played in the 3rd-place playoff against Herrera-Gavira from Spain, the final really looked surpsring, but this often happens in the men's tournaments. A great final, there was a rally in the second set that left all 4 finalists on the ground breathing of exhaustion! Even though the Germans seemed to win easily, the final was actually a nice one and one of the best in this year's World Tour so far! Stavanger is indeed a special place to watch and play beach volley, the town hosted the World Championships in 2009 and has always been a part of the beach volleyball season, with a rank of a Grand Slam event for quite some years already! The scenery around the central court (in the harbour itself) and the mountain cliffs nearby the town are a great attraction, maybe a possible future travel destination :) The pictures from the event in FIVB's official website are also awesome. I almost forgot to mention the special award for the winners in Stavanger - the viking swords, as far as I know the only place in the World Tour where winners get a unique gift like this, there was an interview last year with the world champions Brink and Reckermann who shared that they are equally happy with being the new world champs and getting these viking swords as an award!

• Another historic event passed this weekend. The French open in Marseille will be remembered with the second win of Xu-Wu, the second place of Plavins-Smedins and the third place of the Poles Fijalek-Prudel. Some of the world's best couples missed the tournament to grap some rest before this week's last Grand Slam in Klagenfurt. So the tournament in Marseille lacked some stars, but offered interesting games. I watched the semifinal between Xu-Wu and Fijalek-Prudel. To be honest, the Poles just let the victory go, they were leading in the tie-break and made some stupid mistakes at the end. It was the first time I see this couple, but in that game Mariusz Prudel was quite bad, he was the main reason why the Poles played for the bronze and not for the gold instead. Fijalek was definitely the better partner, in my opinion, and from what I saw in the semi, he was mentally more stable, I just like him more than Prudel. Anyway, good job by the Poles and the Latvians, a first medal won in the Swatch-FIVB series by these couples, they used the absence of the big names in the best possible way.

• A new record was broken on Sunday in the final day of the last Grand Slam in Stare Jablonki. In the first semifinal between Marcio-Ricardo and Dalhausser-Rogers, the Brazilians won the opening set with 41-39!!! They improved the old record of 40-38, set in 2005 in Espinho. That was definitely one of the best games ever played on the Swatch-FIVB World Tour, in the end the Americans came back to win 2-1 and eventually won the Grand Slam by beating 2-0 Brink-Reckermann in the final. Even though being not my personal favourites, Dalhausser-Rogers rule this year's calendar.

• Incredible results in men European championships in Berlin, all favourites are out and tomorrow semifinals are:

Lario-Mesa ESP [12] Doppler-Mellitzer AUT [13]
    Plavins-Smedins LAT [10] Nummerdor-Schuil NED [6]

You can see by seedings that big surprise teams arrived in semifinals. Well deserved but i think never so many surprises on one tournament. I think some part should be played by new ball, i've heard players are calling it Jabulani :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: , ball is very hard to play with, faster and more unpredictable, i think Mikasa did some damage to beach volley this season, and i hope teams will adopt to it. Nevertheless, truth is the best remaining the best, mentioned Rogers/Dalhausser are huge, 11 tournaments played, 7 won and this one current in semifinals :obey: :obey: :obey: :obey: with match record Won-Lost: 67-11 in FIVB series and even more unbelieveable in american AVP series: Won-Lost: 34-0 :what: :what: :what:

And to mention women, Goller/Ludwig are again European champions,won today, and we have even bigger dominance in world women beach, aliens Juliana/Larissa having match score Won-Lost: 61-4 Incredible and hats off for girls.

I think some part should be played by new ball, i've heard players are calling it Jabulani :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: , ball is very hard to play with, faster and more unpredictable, i think Mikasa did some damage to beach volley this season, and i hope teams will adopt to it

Who of the players actually complained about the ball? I haven't played with it, I can't say what the difference is compared to the old beach Mikasa, but I haven't heard so far of players being unhappy... It was introduced almost a year ago, I think they've had enough time to get used to it. And it would be stupid to complain about the ball in the ECH, not in the tournaments before that :D sounds like an excuse to me :)

• Who of the players actually complained about the ball? I haven't played with it, I can't say what the difference is compared to the old beach Mikasa, but I haven't heard so far of players being unhappy... It was introduced almost a year ago, I think they've had enough time to get used to it. And it would be stupid to complain about the ball in the ECH, not in the tournaments before that :D sounds like an excuse to me :)

I have one interview on croatian beach volley portal with Richard Schuil, its translated so no need to c/p here. He said something like no one can serve full strength now cause the ball is flying, but float service is more dangerous with new ball, so you can see 90% of players arent using jump serve what is a proof of it. I'm sure players adopted, but eventually it can be that this minimized difference between teams and results are more unpredictable than ever, this is very obvious. Just this EC is one crazy example when all big teams loosing easily and are early out of competition...

• Thanks for the info! I would have never guessed Schuil was the one complaining :) However, today Harley Marques showed how well he can still jump serve even with the new ball! And also we saw another World Tour victory of Dalhausser-Rogers, these guys are invincible! You can also notice that the American and Brazilian teams obviously have no problems with the new Mikasa - a fact that will make European teams practice more! One more thing to mention - I agree that this ECH is crazy, but none of the World Tour events have been! So I guess the reason is not the new ball, maybe just the level of European teams is quite equal in general, and perhaps the so-called favourites (mostly from Germany) are not in top shape! They should be, however, because of the relatively good results in the WT, but maybe they just had a bad Euro Championship. Besides, teams from Latvia and Spain have shown great progress in recent events, so it's not such a big surprise that Klemperer-Koreng and Brink-Reckermann are out. Last, in the ECH final today, the last two ECH winners (Nummerdor-Schuil) met another two-time ECH winner - Clemens Doppler, who had a new partner compared to the tournaments in 2003 and 2007. So the names to reach the last game are quite experienced and successful in Europe :)

• Thanks for the info! I would have never guessed Schuil was the one complaining :) However, today Harley Marques showed how well he can still jump serve even with the new ball! And also we saw another World Tour victory of Dalhausser-Rogers, these guys are invincible! You can also notice that the American and Brazilian teams obviously have no problems with the new Mikasa - a fact that will make European teams practice more! One more thing to mention - I agree that this ECH is crazy, but none of the World Tour events have been! So I guess the reason is not the new ball, maybe just the level of European teams is quite equal in general, and perhaps the so-called favourites (mostly from Germany) are not in top shape! They should be, however, because of the relatively good results in the WT, but maybe they just had a bad Euro Championship. Besides, teams from Latvia and Spain have shown great progress in recent events, so it's not such a big surprise that Klemperer-Koreng and Brink-Reckermann are out. Last, in the ECH final today, the last two ECH winners (Nummerdor-Schuil) met another two-time ECH winner - Clemens Doppler, who had a new partner compared to the tournaments in 2003 and 2007. So the names to reach the last game are quite experienced and successful in Europe :)

Nice to see someone who is into beach volley and to have somebody to discuss :drink:

But my point of view is slightly different :D Serves speed are actually lower, ask mr.bazooka Igor Kolodinsky which hold record on speed cannon (afterall Emanuel gave him this nickname just in Zagreb, i was on courts, guy isnt normal :P ) Harley has excellent serve technique, but strength doesnt play key atm, ball is giving some additional % of movement so float services are generally more dangerous.

About ECh, i would say that 3 of 4 semifinalists are really qualification teams on world tour

http://www.fivb.org/EN/BeachVo…ournCode=MSTJ2010&Phase=1

Last grand slam of season, everyone played there, prooves that all 3 teams played qualifications in Poland, and it is reality, there are at least 10 european teams in every main draw of grand slams, and this 10 teams are better than suprising semifinalists of EC...It is a pure fact, and 10 is pretty big number, double digit :what: . I.e Doppler wanted to quit teammate Mellitzer due to catastrophic results in last 2 seasons, wanted new austrian partner for GS in Klagenfurt, which got injured and at the end he played with Mellitzer and achieved semifinals of main draw. So it is simply example what is different this season, also i remember when Skarlund/Spinnagr arrived in finals in Stavanger, cmon, it isnt normal :lol: :cheesy: I'm into beach since 2006, and this is without any doubt wildest and more crazy season of all since that year ;)