2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• This time Poland showed some nerves. I think they were robbed by the referees at 24:23 (an Italian blocker stepping over the line before the net touch) but they remained composed. Good stuff and Italy can now legitimately do what they came for - do some sightseeing and take some photos of Polish castles.

Now then, what's the situation with Pool E after half of the games been played.

France 13 (games remaining: Poland, Serbia)
    Poland 12 (games remaining: France, Iran)
    Iran 11 (games remaining: Serbia, Poland)
    USA 10 (games remaining: Argentina, Australia)
    Serbia (games remaining: France, Iran)

Serbia have to climb a mountain now. USA are with the easiest schedule and I think they do not depend on the other results. Although there are three teams ahead of them, because of the direct clashes and because teams above them would inevitably lose points, USA should be a certain Final 6 contender if they win their last two matches cleanly. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if Serbia loses their both remaining games, Polands takes 3 points from France and 1 from Iran, Iran takes 2 from Poland and 3 from Serbia ---> we will have four teams with 16 points. That would be SO unfair to the team in the fourth place, I hope that's not the case. And meanwhile, Grozer & Kaliberda will be chilling while playing on their Xbox or clubbing somewhere in Warsaw :D

In Pool F everything is basically clear. Canada needs a clear victory against Germany, otherwise the Germans are going through.

raylight, summing up Bulgaria's performance with 'Plamen Konstantinov is responsible!' is not fair to him and does not in any way reveal the whole picture. You have way too high expectations for a team that is simply not good enough for top 6.

• Triglav, you are right, that it is not all his responsibillity, we had some major injuries and our Federation is the reason the players need so much training, but he is the one who made the strange decisions and didn't step on the training. About Bulgaria - this team reached 4 semifinals in four years, all players had strong years with their clubs excluding Sokolov, they are all top players, so the expectation to win against 1 strong team is not too high.I wouldn't expect to survive the other pool, but from this pool they could have won 6 points from Canada and Russia. You see the team now, but do you remember when Sokolov made more aces than errors during Stoychev's period? Do you remember matches with Russia when they scored 0 aces with all top players, because I do. It was not that long ago, with another coach.

• Triglav, you are right, that it is not all his responsibillity, we had some major injuries and our Federation is the reason the players need so much training, but he is the one who made the strange decisions and didn't step on the training. About Bulgaria - this team reached 4 semifinals in four years, all players had strong years with their clubs excluding Sokolov, they are all top players, so the expectation to win against 1 strong team is not too high.I wouldn't expect to survive the other pool, but from this pool they could have won 6 points from Canada and Russia. You see the team now, but do you remember when Sokolov made more aces than errors during Stoychev's period? Do you remember matches with Russia when the scored 0 aces with all top players, because I do. It was not that long ago, with another coach.

Ray I've to disagree with this. Only TOP players in this Bulgarian roster are Sokolov and Salparov. Others are mediocre, unfortunately. But u had to beat one serious opponent, with that I agree.

• Ray I've to disagree with this. Only TOP players in this Bulgarian roster are Sokolov and Salparov. Others are mediocre, unfortunately. But u had to beat one serious opponent, with that I agree.

Skrimov mediocre? Yosifov? Todorov? :what:

• It's so unfair that a team like Poland,Serbia or Iran lost the top 6 but in another pool we have only two High level team(Russia and Brasil)!
    tooooooooooooo unfair scheduling!

Skrimov mediocre? Yosifov? Todorov?

I have to agree with Kaziyski who i called hater of bulgarian national team some years ago. Maybe Skrimov has abilities to become bigger star because of his intelligence but Todorov for exemple doesn't show any sign of development. Yosifov is good player but unfortunately not a world class player or a leader who can lead the team in the difficult moments.Unfortunately i don't see such a bulgarian player in this moment. All life I'm trying to find out how the Serbs play with such a desire in every match and a devotion, even in moments of difficulty and why we can't like them but this is another topic and very long conversation about the mentality.

• I ment on those who played tonight... Yosifov is top player, Skrimov and Todorov mediocre. Thats only my opinion. I can tell you at least 15 players which are better than Todorov and Skrimov... again, its my opinion only :) :drink:

For me even Sokolov is not a top player at his current form. Neither is Salparov. Expecting anything from a coach of such a team is equal to believing in Harry Potter's magic wand. And the "federation" is also not the sole reason for the NT failures. Just look at the Cuban federation (and government) for example and make the comparisons. And we're roughly on the same level atm. Some times you just have to accept things.

• Kaziyski, I have to tell you that a lot of coaches in Brazil and Italy have much higher opinion of Skrimov than you :lol:

About the match - as the attack is showing the team is not composed of mediocre players at all. First two sets attack is around 40%, and for the whole match is 64%, therefore, third and fourth set with alien attack. Block - defense is missing, as reception, unlike previous years, which is due to lack of proper training. Milushev and Todorov excell in attack. Germany with better reception and with only 12 errors, which is Trentino level of play.

http://www.fivb.org/vis_web/vo…h2014/mwch2014_p3-075.pdf

• BTW, while watching POL-ITA tonight I kind of realised how much to me Kubiak resembles Mark Wahlberg :lol: Anyone else with the same impression?

• BTW, while watching POL-ITA tonight I kind of realised how much to me Kubiak resembles Mark Wahlberg :lol: Anyone else with the same impression?

Me. :)

• Kaliberda 15/15 in attack :white: :obey: :obey:

This is outstanding, and his reception stats won't look bad as well :heart:

First step is made, now please don't mess it up against Canada. I don't want go into a match against Russia, and points are still needed.

The first two sets today were almost perfect, side out percentage must have been round 80-90 %. Bulgarian Block/defense helped as well......

• Me. :)

Me too :lol:

Anyway. Poland won. I kinda expected them to collapse, but they bounced back after this crappy 1st set. Let's see how they'll handle their remaining opponents...

• This is outstanding, and his reception stats won't look bad as well :heart:

First step is made, now please don't mess it up against Canada. I don't want go into a match against Russia, and points are still needed.

The first two sets today were almost perfect, side out percentage must have been round 80-90 %. Bulgarian Block/defense helped as well......

Bulgaria should take half of the credit for that victory. 27 errors in 4 sets, 19% reception, no block... The other is for your coach, great job today. Guess it was your time to beat us finally :)

• Kaziyski, I have to tell you that a lot of coaches in Brazil and Italy have much higher opinion of Skrimov than you :lol:

I've to admit Skrimov serve is :obey: in other elements mediocre, especially on reception. U know Bulgaria is one of my favorite NT's but this selection isnt wolrd TOP 6. After all this summer I think they lost place in European TOP 6 unfortunately. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit but Russia, Poland, Italy, Serbia, France are far better teams than Bulgaria in this moment. I hope this bad result will trigg some positive things, Bulgaria deserves that. :drink:

• I couldn't wait for the next Saturday and Sunday. It would be so interesting and stressful :D

• It's so unfair that a team like Poland,Serbia or Iran lost the top 6 but in another pool we have only two High level team(Russia and Brasil)!
    tooooooooooooo unfair scheduling!

Buhuuuu, "stamping with feet": its sooooooooo unfair. :lol:

Are you already preparing your exit excuse? Have a little more trust in your team. And just out of interest: What makes you so sure that any of the teams you mentioned are on the level of Russia/Brazil and can't be beaten by Germany?