Germany - DVL 1. Bundesliga 2012/13

• 1st set 25-17 for RR.

Anne Buijs was on court at the end of first set, though she is still injured :white: :drink: :super:

• I just turned on and the first point I see from Vilsbiburg is scored by...Norisha Campbell! :what: She normally plays for their 2nd team this season but some years ago was a very good player, she was even in USA NT. Secret weapon of Vilsbiburg today? :D

• Rote Raben - Schwerin 2-3 :super: :super: :super: Schwerin to the FINAL in HALLE :drink: :drink:

It seems Anne was really emotional (she fell on her knees and was crying) after the last point.

• Congrats to Schwerin...it's amazing, they hardly ever play well, but always just well enough to win the match :white:

Agree. Only against Kazan, Urbino and Dresden (cupmatch) at home they played (really) well.

• Agree. Only against Kazan, Urbino and Dresden (cupmatch) at home they played (really) well.

And against Constanta at home too, at least in parts of the match.
    Vilsbiburg today scored more points in total and was better in the stats in every element of the game, but still Schwerin won...it's hard to explain, must be this special kind of "winner mentality" (the thing that Alex Waibl lacks :P ).

• To make everything complete...

Rote Raben - Schwerin 2:3 (25:17, 19:25, 22:25, 25:19, 13:15)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2012/Women/&8016.pdf

Tomorrow 15.30, the other semifinal Stuttgart-Wiesbaden takes place.

It seems Newcombe had a very good match attacking, but not a great day receiving (she's normally quite good though). If you've seen more matches, can you comment on how she's played overall this season?

• It seems Newcombe had a very good match attacking, but not a great day receiving (she's normally quite good though). If you've seen more matches, can you comment on how she's played overall this season?

She started a bit slow into the season, but in the last few weeks she has been her team's best player. She constantly has around 50% in attack, her reception usually is not bad but not great either, she is not someone you need to sub out in backrow but also not one of the greatest receivers out there, she is certainly stronger offensively than in defense.

• Tears of joy....and a lot of emotions..

Logically, after again a long period of absence because of physical problems..

• And against Constanta at home too, at least in parts of the match.
    Vilsbiburg today scored more points in total and was better in the stats in every element of the game, but still Schwerin won...it's hard to explain, must be this special kind of "winner mentality" (the thing that Alex Waibl lacks :P ).

I actually think Schwerin did not play all that bad tonight. Their serving was good and reception is solid. Vilsbiburg is a good blocking team and i think they were able to nutralize some of Schwerin's offense.
    I think Schwerin played well. It was a good volleyball match tonight and I think Vilsbiburg should get some credit for forcing schwerin to struggle at time. I think its unfair to Vilsbiburg to say that Schwerin did not play well

• She started a bit slow into the season, but in the last few weeks she has been her team's best player. She constantly has around 50% in attack, her reception usually is not bad but not great either, she is not someone you need to sub out in backrow but also not one of the greatest receivers out there, she is certainly stronger offensively than in defense.

I was able to watch the match tonight and have watched Many matches this season. Tonight Newcombe did not have her best passing night, but I was suprised to see the stats because it did not look that bad. I am not sure what qualifies as Good or excellent in reception, but most of Sonja's passes were solid and easily settable. I think that stats may be a little misleading. Overall, tonight she was definitely the best player on the court for either team.

On the season Newcombe has been more than Solid. She is definitely Vilsbiburg's best player. Although sometimes it seems to me they forget this and forget to get her the ball at critical times. I think it is unfair to say that she is certainly stronger offensively. I actually think her defense matches her offense very well. I wish bundesliga kept dig stats like the NCAA in the United States. Sonja is great in this area and i think it is easily overlooked in European leagues. Newcombe is also the best blocking outside hitter in Bundesliga. She is the only one in the top 15 and when I have watched her, she has consitantly shut down the middles and right sides for the other teams.

Everyone praised Kaila Banwarth for her excellent play for Dresden, and she did play very well for them. However, Newcombe has put up very similar passing numbers as Banwarth. This doesnt mean that Banwarth isnt good. I think Newcombe just has excellent all around game.

As you can tell I am a fan and getting bigger everytime I see her play. I am impressed with her all around ability. I think she is the best OH in the Bundesliga and I would like to see her with USA national team

• I actually think Schwerin did not play all that bad tonight. Their serving was good and reception is solid. Vilsbiburg is a good blocking team and i think they were able to nutralize some of Schwerin's offense.
    I think Schwerin played well. It was a good volleyball match tonight and I think Vilsbiburg should get some credit for forcing schwerin to struggle at time. I think its unfair to Vilsbiburg to say that Schwerin did not play well

Of course Schwerin did not play bad, but the problem is that they are capable of playing MUCH better than they did yesterday, but they show it only very seldom (e.g. vs Urbino). Schwerin is the best team in German league and they win most of their matches showing only about 80% of their potential, but they are so much more fun to watch when they play at 100%. I hope they save their 100% for the CL matches vs Busto and the Cup final, though in the Cup final probably 80% will be easily enough to beat whoever wins the other semifinal :S

• Of course Schwerin did not play bad, but the problem is that they are capable of playing MUCH better than they did yesterday, but they show it only very seldom (e.g. vs Urbino). Schwerin is the best team in German league and they win most of their matches showing only about 80% of their potential, but they are so much more fun to watch when they play at 100%. I hope they save their 100% for the CL matches vs Busto and the Cup final, though in the Cup final probably 80% will be easily enough to beat whoever wins the other semifinal :S

In 11 days already, Schwerin plays in Dresden, and one week later already against Busto. In these matches Schwerin needs to play at their best. In the homematch against Dresden they were the lucky one, escaping eventually by Dresden's unforced errors (though making less mistakes than the opponent is a quality ;) )

I agree Schwerin is the best team in the Bundesliga. At the moment Vilsbiburg might be better than Dresden.

Dresden's real strenght will be shown later in the season (Matthes' return). The same for Schwerin (Buijs)

EDIT: any possibillity to follow Stuttgart - Wiesbaden, except DVL-Liveticker ??

• EDIT: any possibillity to follow Stuttgart - Wiesbaden, except DVL-Liveticker ??

Unfortunately not :(

I'm not sure if Matthes' return will help Dresden so much...even when she has recovered, it will take some time to get back her shape and especially power. Christiane Fürst needed more than a year to get back to where she was before her shoulder injury (she had the same as Anne Matthes as far as I know). Buijs is much more important for Schwerin than Matthes for Dresden, she is the only reliable attacker for high balls.

• Nicole Davis has arrived in Dresden, she will wear Banwarth's No.1 shirt.

Lloyd + Naz + Wołosz + Hanke + Smutná + Mori
    Bokan + Zakrievskaja + Bricio + Vilponen + Jupïter + A.Lazić + Stepanova + Marković
    Onyejekwe + N.Dimitrova + Crkoňová + de Kruijf + Truškina + Thibeault + Omelčenko + Schauss
    Rourke + Bošković + Fabris + Kajalina + Collar + Simić + Miklai + Vasilantonaki
    Courtois + Venegas + Gaído + Castillo + Gómez + Kiselyova

• 2nd semifinal:
    Allianz MTV Stuttgart - VC Wiesbaden 0:3 (18,16,22)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2012/Women/&8017.pdf

So the final is Schwerin-Wiesbaden. Schwerin wants to defend the Cup, Wiesbaden is in the final for the first time. What makes it even more interesting is that Wiesbaden is the only German team that has beaten Schwerin this season (but it was Schwerin's worst match and they were missing several players there). Wiesbaden has what Schwerin needs: two strong OHs (Burchardt and Ivanovic), but Schwerin definitely is the big favourite for the final.

For those who are not familiar with Wiesbaden, they are currently uploading reports of some of their season matches to their Youtube channel

• 2nd semifinal:
    Allianz MTV Stuttgart - VC Wiesbaden 0:3 (18,16,22)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2012/Women/&8017.pdf

So the final is Schwerin-Wiesbaden. Schwerin wants to defend the Cup, Wiesbaden is in the final for the first time. What makes it even more interesting is that Wiesbaden is the only German team that has beaten Schwerin this season (but it was Schwerin's worst match and they were missing several players there). Wiesbaden has what Schwerin needs: two strong OHs (Burchardt and Ivanovic), but Schwerin definitely is the big favourite for the final.

For those who are not familiar with Wiesbaden, they are currently uploading reports of some of their season matches to their Youtube channel

Congratulations to Wiesbaden for reaching the final :flower: :flower: I expected (a little) more from Stuttgart.

@ Matthias

Schwerin played against Wiesbaden with Völker and (for the biggest part of the match) Scheuschner at OH-position (a learned libero and a youth-player)..and Wiesbaden only won eventually in a very close 5th set. Even Alexander Waibl, known for not being Schwerin's friend, said Wiesbaden could only win in Schwerin because of that. Schwerin will play in Halle with their two main OHs (both are stronger than Wiesbaden's OHs). That will make a huge difference.

• Congratulations to Wiesbaden for reaching the final :flower: :flower: I expected (a little) more from Stuttgart.

@ Matthias

Schwerin played against Wiesbaden with Völker and (for the biggest part of the match) Scheuschner at OH-position (a learned libero and a youth-player)..and Wiesbaden only won eventually in a very close 5th set. Even Alexander Waibl, known for not being Schwerin's friend, said Wiesbaden could only win in Schwerin because of that. Schwerin will play in Halle with their two main OHs (both are stronger than Wiesbaden's OHs). That will make a huge difference.

There are many problems in Stuttgart nowadays: it turned out that they dissolved Schaus' contract to save money and not because she was injured (at least money was the main reason), then when Evelyn Delogu got injured they had no other choice than buying another libero, so now there is no money for a 3rd MB :thumbdown: Newspapers from Stuttgart write that their manager and their head coach have a rather bad relationship nowadays, probably because the management isn't able to provide the necessary money to allow the team to be successful. It will be very difficult to finish the season with just two MBs...

Völker is not a learned libero, she always played OH in Youth/Junior, but it was quite clear that she'd never become a great OH at Senior level, so she started to play libero sometimes in 2009/10 season and Guidetti also used her as libero in NT in 2010. She certainly won't become an absolute top OH, but I'm also not sure if she has the potential to be a top player if she plays as libero...

About the OHs, I think Ksenija Ivanovic is one of the strongest OHs in our league at the moment, maybe even the strongest, and Regina Burchardt with all her experience is a very valuable player too. Time will tell if Lousi Souza Ziegler and Anne Buijs after her injury will really be so much stronger than Wiesbaden's OHs, but as team I'm sure Schwerin is much better...