Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2019-2020

• Can't wait for the weekend games!!!

Can someone tell me where Toray vs. JT will be broadcasted? I hope not DAZN huhu

It's DAZN

• The Final 8 determination schedule is out. The difference from previous years is that it won't be a single Round Robin. The eight teams will be divided into two pools:

Group A
    Group B
    Premier 1st place
    Star 2nd place
    Premier 3rd place
    Star 4th place
    Star 1st place
    Premier 2nd place
    Star 3rd place
    Premier 4th place

Then Google Translate takes over and it appears POINTS will determine the ranking: 順位は、ポイントが多いチームを上位とする

"Rank, the higher the point is large team." or "The ranking is the top of the team with a lot of points."

Semifinals:

Group A 1st Place vs Group B 2nd Place
    Group B 1st Place vs Group A 2nd Place

Then Gold and Bronze

The Challenge Stage is also a little different, from last year anyway because last year the V2 Champion automatically promoted to V1 (because there were only 11 V1 teams). This year the V2 Champion will have to fight for it.

The fifth and sixth place teams from both V1 Conferences will play a Single Round Robin over a three day Holiday weekend Jan 11-13, 2020. The top two teams from that are safe, and the bottom two teams will do something with the top two teams from V2 to determine replacement. It doesn't say whether it will be a single round robin or, more likely, the 3rd Place V1 Challenger will play the 2nd Place V2 team and the 4th Place V1 Challenger will play the 1st Place V2 team, winners and losers being delighted and damned.

Maybe it's lost in google translation but there doesn't appear to be any mention of Gift Points going into the Final Stage.

Finally, it's all DAZN so we probably won't get to see any of it unless things change or N K youtuber rises from the dead and uploads them for us within 24 hours of broadcast.

• Erika Araki became Japan's most blockery player in history over the weekend !

Total block determination number (top 5)

# Player Team When Achieved
    Seasons Blocks
    1 Erika Araki Toyota Auto Body
    15 1044
    2 Sachiko Sugiyama NEC Red Rockets
    15 1042
    3 Asako Tajimi (former Toyota, now Hitachi Coach)
    Pioneer Red Wings
    15 812
    4 Kazuyo Mori Okayama Seagulls 16 762
    5 Naomi Eto JT Marvelous
    11 753

Source

• I wrote these in July

• Araki would have broken it earlier if she had not played overseas, even throwing in a break for motherhood.

• I wrote these in July

LOL yeah, and I had already transferred your info to the top of this thread. For some reason it just showed up in my feed. I guess I forgot about it because every time the V.League announces a "tournament schedule Theissen card decision [Update]" like this one from a few days ago, it still says "It should be noted that, with regard to all the Outline, including details and order determining method of V · final round, determined will be announced soon" I had been lulled asleep.

• Marketing strategy of japan organisation sucks big time. U can't sell the league in wide audience by showing it in a very limited reach of DAZN. Imagine how many countries dazn has?

however, it is on DAZN to realize that this could be sold outside Japan, probably for little extra cost in a contract with the V-League.

• Exactly, fans are willing to pay just to watch the match, but the problem is dazn isn't available in other countries. So, we don't have a choice..

That's the tricky part. DAZN is a European Company with reach into a couple dozen countries, or so. But they offer different packages to different countries. I assume that if DAZN wanted to add Japan V.League to their USA package they'd have to pay the V.League to do it. Where would that end? I want to watch some Turkish League as well, etc., etc.

I think the V.League should pay DAZN to show the matches in the USA :)

• Do you guys think the reason why DAZN doesn't offer V-League outside Japan has anything to do with tobacco advertisement/sponsorship laws in the West (USA, Europe, AUS/NZ, etc)?

The reason why I ask this question is because JT is a tobacco company.

Interesting question but I think the answer is no. I think it's one or both of two things:

1. Japan doesn't want it broadcast outside Japan
    2. DAZN's Return on investment wouldn't cover it (assuming they have to pay for broadcasting rights to each market) There's probably less than ten people in the USA who would pay $10/month to watch the V.League :)  oops, I mean :(
  • Tonight's matches:

JST (UTC+9)

12:00 NEC v Himeji

12:00 JT v Toray

15:00 Saitama v Toyota vtv

15:00 Hisamitsu v Hitachi

15:00 PFU v Kurobe

• NEC v Himeji made it to livestream365

no JT yet

• NEC v Himeji made it to livestream365

and promptly died :(