Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2020-2021

• After Empress Cup, it's gonna go straight to Hinotori selection for VNL right?

Is Sato ok now?

After this season, I don't think Nakada should be choosing Nabeya and Iwasaka again.

I think they still have that All Star game happening unless they cancelled the one for women's since the men's division already had theirs but it was those fake Haikyu teams

• I think they still have that All Star game happening unless they cancelled the one for women's since the men's division already had theirs but it was those fake Haikyu teams

Oh right fanservice match. Are they still gonna hold that event after Sunbirds and Toray men's had to withdrew due to positive cases?

I can't wait for NT selection and I just remembered there's gonna be an Olympics test event on May before VNL

• The women's all star game is not being played. We get a tweetbag poll instead. I posted a link somewhere above.

I'll open an NT thread so we can discuss hopes and dreams and register complaints

• Why does the Empress Cup not have a challenge system?

the final may use it, but when you have four courts playing at the same time, let alone in the same building, it just is impossible. Then shifting to two courts later, with no break days in between, makes the set up, movement and calibration, a big no.

• stan werka has two more Empress Cup matches up

I think haru_12 and I agree Coach Kawamoto has thrown in the towel. When he goes through the roster like he's been doing he's not doing it to win. He's doing it to see who shows potential for next year . Frankly, I'm cool with that. More Ayame Endo though, please.

• I agree Coach Kawamoto has thrown in the towel. When he goes through the roster like he's been doing he's not doing it to win. He's doing it to see who shows potential for next year . Frankly, I'm cool with that. More Ayame Endo though, please.

we don't see much of Ayamo Endo :down: I think he's gonna continue it on January,

such a bad season for Maruyama n Kawashima if they are retiring. Haruka n Oikawa in NT might be affected too lol

• Anybody knows about this Cuban Japanese mixed girl Merisa Valdes? How tall and how old is she? Can she make it to NT?

Search this thread for her name. There’s videos and commentary about her.

• Anybody knows about this Cuban Japanese mixed girl Merisa Valdes? How tall and how old is she? Can she make it to NT?

I was out and about and didn't really know what those search results would reveal. I knew she was mentioned a few times but there's not much meat. So ... beyond searching youtube for highlight reels, which I'm sure there are a lot, here's her profile at volleybox. She's a 183cm senior in HS this year and stands her best chance of winning the Championship in her three years. Her team won silver last year.

A most recent match is here, but needs a vpn. It's the prefectural playoff to get to the Final All Japan Championship which is in three weeks.

Her crowning achievement is probably this match from last year's Championships. She pretty much single-handedly won the tie-break in the SF to get to the Final (where her team got killed):

It's surprising to me that she hasn't been invited to any U-squads.

[Edit] In case you want more, here's a link to last year's final where she's up against my 162cm hero Rino Murooka. Wasn't even close :) Rino killed her

• Thank you for this. You are the best :heart:

• Thank you for this. You are the best :heart:

You're welcome. I'd like to add that High School setters aren't generally a keen lot to begin with, but the Furukawa setter Merisa played with in her first two years seemed especially bad to my eyes (even though she won best setter). That setter graduated after last year's final. I'm not familiar with the present one, but think Merisa's performance will improve dramatically if she's any good.

• I just found this little bit of info re: Merisa Valdes. She's grown 2 cm and has a 195cm MB freshmen team mate from DOM. I think I read somewhere that Furukawa seeks exchange students from SA, like their opponent in last year's SF has a number of Chinese exchange students. Don't quote me on that

I think/guess it's an unknown if Merisa has Japanese citizenship or seeks it. Same for Fu Xintian who just joined the NoSmilers. Of course I have no idea. Bits of info like this are wildly rare. Details are almost non-existent to us English Language only people. I can only post a screenshot because this a$$ whole web site makes it impossible to copy text from and correct the google translate malfunctions

ps - "Colleges" here means High School.

• This was exciting, probably gave werka a heart attack watching the Flashscore go by:

Some takeaways:

• With the analyst view you can see Okumura is still faster than the average bear getting to the outside. Akutagawa is too.
    • Tamaki Matsui finished most of the sets for Denso and set the entire Tie Break. That's good for her growth, and unearths the key to beating JT:
    • Use Your Middles! Denso didn't win but a 17–19 Tie Break is pretty close. Matsui's weakness is OOS sets, but in system she's a college girl who loves her middles. She has experience with Yokota in U-Squads.
    • I don't think Plummer is 100%

JT has a very good chance of beating Toray in the Final. It might be a slight tweak to limit Toray's middles, or a gamble that the way they played them the first time is still the way to go and Toray's middles won't step up the way they did last time. I bet they choose the latter because Toray's swingers are top of the crop. Ohno can be scary, but Ogawa, while very likeable isn't really scary.

Puzzling why NEC coach got scared and inserted Tsukada in their JT Empress Cup match. She wouldn't know a middle if one jumped in front of her. She went for hero ball. JT is prepared for that.

• Hun, you don't know what I went through that day.

• In case anyone is interested in seeing some of the new blood in action who are hoping to make it these days, here is 2019 Universiade Bronze Medal Tie Breaker match between Japan U-Squad and Hungary. One of the highlights is the Casual Friday Hungarian Coach who looks like he just dropped by in between backyard chores.

It's excellent quality stream, too!

Starting lineup:

• Tamaki Matsui (S)
    • Yuka Ikeya (L)
    • Mami Yokota (MB)
    • Mayu Oikawa (MB)
    • Arisa Inoue (OH)
    • Chinami Furuya (OH)
    • Mikoto Shima (OP)

Full squad:

Denso / NT

Tamaki Matsui

Setter

NEC

Yuka Sawada

Setter

PFU

Mikoto Shima

Opposite

Himeji

Saki Tanaka

Opposite

SAGA

Arisa Inoue

Outside Hitter

NEC

Chinami Furuya

Outside Hitter

PFU

Minami Takaso

Outside Hitter

Himeji

Riho Sadakane

Outside Hitter

Toyota

Ayaka Sugi

Middle-blocker

Denso

Mami Yokota

Middle-blocker

NoSmilers / NT

Mayu Oikawa

Middle-blocker

SAGA

Yuka Ikeya

Libero

• Yoshioka shanks a serve reception at 23–23 in set 4 so Nishimura comes in as OH and continues for the first 8 in the Tie Break. Minami needs a nickname. I'm going to call her André.