Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2020-2021

• Does anyone know any information about Plummer's injury?

We rarely ever get injury updates from Japan. I saw her after the game last week in street clothes with a couple of what looked like cross-country ski poles. Not crutches. And she seemed to be walking without much limp (or use of the ski poles), albeit a little slowly.

• Uniform Championship Round 1 Results

Winner Loser Tweetbox

Forest Leaves - 57%

Gunma Bank - 42%

Tweet

Himeji Victorina - 66%

Breath Hamamatsu - 34%

Tweet

PFU Bluecats - 66%

Chiba Angel Cross - 33%

Tweet

Kurobe Aquafairies - 63%

Hiroshima Oilers - 36%

Tweet

Hitachi Rivale - 80%

Prestige International - 20%

Tweet

NEC Red Rockets - 72%

Brilliant Aries - 27%

Tweet

Toray Arrows - 82%

GSS Tokyo - 18%

Tweet

SAGA - 65%

JA Gifu - 35%

Tweet

That SAGA match is complete nonsense

• I don't know if anyone can suss the likely damage by what kind bandaging is applied, but here's a couple shots of Plummer from the V.League's purportedly 1080p broadcast

avid

• Speaking of injuries we never hear about -- Miya Sato is apparently in rehab for an injury to her "leg". It happened during NT training camp in a remote match. Coach Tajimi says she's waiting for Hitachi's best setter to return. <sigh of relief>

To be fair, I think various injury updates/announcements are probably at least alluded to during a match by the commentators but I don't speak Japanese.

I learned of Sato's injury reading the vbm post-match press conference interview for the NEC/Hitachi match. I'm finding them to be very interesting, if often google-translated word salad. Miyu Kubota gets the floor for this one and she gives me the impression she's the Sarina Koga of Hitachi. That is, she's the one who analyzes opponents and tries to share info about their vulnerabilities with her juniors. She considers Miwako Osanai a junior, (even though Miwako joined Hitachi a year and a half before Miyu).

Interesting exchange with NEC Coach about reception. Interviewer says Coach has lamented reception is still way off and then points out that the number of MB attacks has increased as well as the attack percentage. How to reconcile? My word salad interpretation of his response is that NEC's transition game is solid, and he points out that they won the match 3–0 with 38% reception :S

• Hitachi Wonder Girl Rui gets the start over Kubota tonight against Denso :/ Started with a nice reception and back court kill. That's something she's got on Kubota. It's nice to have two receiving OPs

• Hitachi looks fired up. I smell victory. Onodera starting at setter. I love Hannah Tapp

• Didn't take Hitachi long to fall into old ways -- from 15–10 to 15–17 :aww:

• Set 1 = Denso 25–18 Hitachi

That was disappointing :( Coach Tajimi talked about this ... starting off well and finishing poorly, in both sets and matches.

• Denso is dropping logs into the campfire. They did that against Okayama, too.

Rei Kudou is on fire 11/17

• Desno's defense is basically: stay in your place, if the ball comes to you pass it along, otherwise stay out of Kotoe's way and let her get it. That's why Plummer works in their system. It's frustrating and beautiful.

• Hitachi takes set 2, 25–23 :box:

• Hannah Tapp started a little slow, but now when the set is going to her, or possibly going to her, the announcers react to it in fear and trembling before she begins her swing. It's amusing but I fear it's not enough

• Happy and impressed with Rei Kudou's growth over the past couple years. 21/43 after three sets so far. I'm hard pressed to think of another Japanese swinger (she's mainly playing OP) with her level of bad ass.

Denso 26–24 Hitachi set 3. (2–1)

• Happy to see Syuka Kaneda is there warming up <3 There was some concern about why she disappeared from the last NoSmiler match. Feared some injury